mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Best steel hardtail for under $1K?

I'm shopping around for a new mountain bike and have pretty much established it will be a hardtail. I'd like to get a steel framed bike but I see so very few offered. Actually, the only complete steel hardtail I have found in the neighborhood of my price range is the Jamis Exile XC. Even it retails for a little over $1K. What other choices do I have?

mtbr member
    i think Marin has a steel hardtail for about $1000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona has two steel hardtails:

Lava Dome - $699 - Kona butted chromoly frame, Deore drivetrain, entry level marzocchi fork, Kona cockpit, Sun rims

Explosif - $1349 - Dedacciai steel, Deore/LX/XT drivetrain, Marzocchi air/lockout fork, Hayes Hydro disc, Easton cockpit
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by mbakercad
    I'm shopping around for a new mountain bike and have pretty much established it will be a hardtail. I'd like to get a steel framed bike but I see so very few offered. Actually, the only complete steel hardtail I have found in the neighborhood of my price range is the Jamis Exile XC. Even it retails for a little over $1K. What other choices do I have?
    Steel hardtails:

Jamis
    Rocky Mountain
    Bianchi USED to.
    Some of the mail order jobbies - Price Point, Jenson, Nashbar.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    how about an on one inbred 29er ? you can get a complete bike for 990

ON ONE 29er

mtbr member

Another On One vote

On One Inbred 456- $350

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...-456-Frame.htm

LX Buildkit - $590

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/133...-Build-Kit.htm

Minute One - $240 (can probably get pricepoint to price match)

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=921

For a grand total of . . um, nevermind

Ant

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

This doesn't qualify......

Quote Originally Posted by mbakercad
    .....but I thought I would share it anyway, as I believe it just came out. Well above the price point, but I do not believe GF had a steel frame a few months ago:

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...s&bike=Ferrous
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What about Voodoo or Soma? Or Salsa?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for all the reply's everyone. While no where near the number of Aluminum bikes, there are still a lot more steel choices that I first thought. To the poster suggesting that I build up a frameset using a LX build kit, if I were to take that route I would be looking at the Gunnar Rock Hound and Salsa Ala Carte framesets.

At any rate, I may put off this purchase for another year. The now defunct plan was to sell off my old mountain bike then use this new one as a replacement. I was also planning on purchasing another set of wheels to mount slicks. With the 2 tire combo, I could use it as my mtn bike and it could double as a 'urban' bike to ride with my wife and the occassional commute.

I been wanting disc brakes and most all the bikes in this price range now come with them, but this was going to make my second set of wheels even more costly. To the point were it was not going to happen. I naturally started looking at lower models with v-brake but I started seeing a pattern of too much comprimising what I really wanted. So, I think I'm to spend a little cash on my old mtn bike and use it for double duty for the mean time. Then next spring get a mtn only bike. Perhaps the Gunnar build

BTW, below is a pic of my current ride that I wanted to replace.
    Cannondale M500