mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Best place to mount GoPro + Alum Rock Descent Video

I'm still trying to figure out where the best place to mount a GoPro. Here I have it mounted on the stem Its a little shaky, and this trail is relatively flat.

I've been watching videos on here with chest mounts and they dont seem much better. Has anyone found the best place to mount a camera?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Down tube. Very stable there.

Here is a video I shot on my Contour HD. I haven't uploaded any GoPro videos with this perspective yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That does seem a bit smoother. But it would be nice to see in front of the wheel, instead of behind it.

T.W.O.
    I like the chest mount pov.

'11 Opus Strat
    Short chill tour - YouTube

( Sorry, this is my first gopro vid so my editing wasn't the best nor a short video lol )

You can pretty much tell where the mount is, I used the adhesive flat mount and angled it a bit. Then, when I put the gopro on, I use the 3way pivot and angle it around so the side of the cam is against the frame. It's just far away enough from my knee it won't get bumped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Still working on it...

Hey Dion. How is that helmet mount setup? I've tried it but it felt a bit uncomfortable having a bit more weight on the front.

I've rode at Santa Teresa with the stem mount and it was real shaky... Nice vid!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    Hey Dion. How is that helmet mount setup? I've tried it but it felt a bit uncomfortable having a bit more weight on the front.

I've rode at Santa Teresa with the stem mount and it was real shaky... Nice vid!
    Thanks man.

So, I've been doing riding videos since the early 90's (BMX freestyle), and got into the bullet cam thing in the early 2000's with motorcycles. Those sucked, because you still have to feed it into a camcorder.

Anyhow, I moved into digital when I bought a REI mount-anywhere clamp.

And here's a BMX flatland vid I did with it (that's me at 1:02, and then going over the bars at the end ). I just used a regular ol' Canon digital camera.

I've realized you have to really think outside the box when it comes to mounting these things, and you kinda have to stay away from "steering" parts (like the stem). It worked on the BMX vid I did (we mounted the camera to our foot pegs), but most of the time when I mounted it on stems and things, it came out for a boring shot.

What's nice about the GoPro is the wide angle, so you can really get into strange mounting positions and it actually has great peripheral.

Here's another I did with the same set-up as my BMX video with the Canon digital camera and the REI mount.

This is bullet-cam days stuff. Ugh, lugging a camcorder, although small, sucked. On board with me at the end.

At my parent's house is my long lost master tape from my BMX vids in high school (1989-1993). We taped on VHS, edited on HUGE tape-to-tape editing machines and did our graphics on an Amiga computer. The moment I find those videos, I am digitizing and posting them!

Imagine editing videos on this beast.

I eventually want to build a boom mount for overhead shots and extensions from the back and front. I think that would be extra cool - I don't think GoPro offers anything like that so it's something I will have to make.

Just remember to always use basics like "shooting from the hip" using the "Rule of Thirds" , etc. and you should get some sweet shots. Good luck!
    Last edited by Dion; 11-19-2012 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My friend Jorge (Old School George aka OSG) makes some great videos, too. He's still old school, but I think he recently got a new camera. He's pretty damn creative - there is some great helmet cam stuff on here.

Sucka Free from OlskoolGeorge on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have my GoPro attach to my helmet, less vibration and more scenery by rotating your head. I also have a Contour HD but don't use it since there's too much gittering even after I edited thru my AVS software.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Down tube. Very stable there.

Here is a video I shot on my Contour HD. I haven't uploaded any GoPro videos with this perspective yet.
    Thats interesting.... A different perspective.

'11 Opus Strat
    Thanks for all them vids and ideas Dion!, Some very creative work!.