mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Best performance

There is a loop (about 5.5mi) that I like to ride hard and check my times. It begins with a 2 mi climb. Do you think you could perform better after a mile or so warm up, or just get on the bike and go after a few strokes? More specifically, what is the optimum amount warm-up to perform a hard run ?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    A warm up usually proves for better performance, but everyone is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    ^^ I agree. I know personally that I feel better after a bit of a warm up from general feel on the climb to my times doing it both ways.

Cycologist
    I think it also depends on what you have been doing prior and when the last time you rode was, I guess basically how "loose" you are. I do usually notice I feel tired shortly after starting and then just realize that that is just from warming up and my body adjusting to the change in intensity. I've raced some triathlons and learned to force myself to get in and swim a little beforehand, I also run a bit before a running race. But I do not normally warm up or even stretch before a ride or run.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I usually finish a ride a lot stronger than when I start.

mtbr member
    Interesting, on my local trail, is a climb from the start, not long but a bit steep and rocky, man its hard when you just started pedaling.

There is a bit of trail before the climb, but not enough to warm up. I always wondered if I should ride longer before hitting the climb. After a bit, I sort of feel fresh again, and keep going.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    For me, a warm up is definitely of benefit. Even if it is only for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the ride profile for most of the rides in my neck of the woods is up, up, up, down, down, down. I'm never much into riding out and back on the gravel road leading to the trailhead, as a warm up. So we just usually suck it up, hit the trail and hope for the best for the first 5 minutes or so. That's ALWAYS the toughest part of the ride for me.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Also depends on your endurance level compared to the distance & terrain. When I was doing sprint distance triathlons, I always warmed up thoroughly before starting. When doing Olympic distance (2x sprint distance), I was better off treating the 1st half of the swim as a slow warm-up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    For a 5.5 mile hard effort I think a good warm up is pretty important, at least 15 minutes and 30 or so is best IME. I get stomach issues and various physical ailments if I try to go to hard from a cold start. Not comparing myself to them but you'll never see a pro come to the start line of an xc race without a thorough warm up.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    As long as your fitness allows say 15 minutes or 30 of easy spin without leaving you tired, warmup is best. If it just wears you out, ride more, and don't warm up trying to beat your time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    There is a loop (about 5.5mi) that I like to ride hard and check my times. It begins with a 2 mi climb. Do you think you could perform better after a mile or so warm up, or just get on the bike and go after a few strokes? More specifically, what is the optimum amount warm-up to perform a hard run ?
    If you want to go hard for a timed lap, you have to warm up. How long depends on your body. For me it is about 10 - 15 minutes to get everything loose. Sometimes because of time constraints I will not do a dedicated warm up instead I will just take it easy for the first 2-3 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    As long as your fitness allows say 15 minutes or 30 of easy spin without leaving you tired, warmup is best. If it just wears you out, ride more, and don't warm up trying to beat your time.

If you're trying for fast times on a short course I think it's helpful to throw in a few hard efforts during the warm up.
    I brake for stinkbugs