mtbr member

Best MTB Gear Bag.......

Not a whole lot of options for MTB gear bags. A few have trickled into the market place recently.

What MTB gear bags you guys using?

Here is the one I am using right now. Under Armour Storm backpack duffel. Pretty good even though it is not MTB specific. Lots of pockets and shoe compartment that fits a trail or XC helmet. In total, it fits my helmet, two pairs of shoes, hydration pack, extra gloves, bars, shock pump, tools, etc. The only issue with this is that it does not have vented compartment, so thing can get smelly if I forget to take them out to dry.

Best MTB Gear Bag.......-0114171155.jpg

Best MTB Gear Bag.......-0114171154.jpg

Best MTB Gear Bag.......-0114171154_burst01.jpg

Contains no juice.
    I just use whatever's lying around. Plastic bags, an old 12-pack box or even a helmet bag a friend gave me when he was in the service.
    Collusion!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    POC makes an excellent one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I just use whatever's lying around. Plastic bags, an old 12-pack box or even a helmet bag a friend gave me when he was in the service.
    This, it changes radically with the season, type of ride, and distance that I'm driving to. I used to keep a huge bag of "everything", but I got tired of lugging it around everywhere and leaving stuff in it to rot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Your Best Friend
    The trunk of my car.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Hi There!
    Victoria's Secret plastic bag today-it was an easy decision, I just went to the box in our house where all the spare bags are and that's the one I happened to grab.

I'm going riding three hours from home so when I'm done I'll take my fresh clothes out of it and put my sweaty dirty ones in.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I'm actually wondering why you would need that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    I'm actually wondering why you would need that.
    Hmmm. Maybe to carry and organize my helmet, shoes, tools, bars, pump, shock pump, first aid, spare tubes, gloves, jacket etc . Better than carrying everything in paper bag where you gotta dig looking for things. I have to drive to a lot of rides. Also, weekend trips.

I think I will just look at motocross bags instead. They have more gear bags that are pretty good for MTB made by Fox, Troy Lee, Ogio, Alpinestars, etc.

The perfessor
    I carry everything in a clear plastic tote bin; it holds ALL my tools as well as select gear, lubricants, grease rags, spare parts, etc..........everything else gets thrown in the back of my Fit........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Gear bags work for me because I know I can grab only one item and be sure I have everything I need at the trailhead, it doesn't matter what kind for it is as long as it holds everything.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Magically Delicious
    All JB needs is his clothes. I don't thinks he carry's anything else. How close am I JB?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

EMBA Member
    I got a plastic lidded bin from Costco. It stays in the back of my truck with my bike and all the other "stuff". Just recently started cracking, so going to need a new one pretty soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    All JB needs is his clothes. I don't thinks he carry's anything else. How close am I JB?

One would think but I bet my list is at least 20 long. My van is mostly my gear bag these days but if you're hitching a ride with friends it's nice to grab one bag and know you have everything. Finding myself at the trailhead without shoes, helmet, water or some other vital necessity a few times has honed my meager organizational skills. Somewhat.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    One would think but I bet my list is at least 20 long. My van is mostly my gear bag these days but if you're hitching a ride with friends it's nice to grab one bag and know you have everything. Finding myself at the trailhead without shoes, helmet, water or some other vital necessity a few times has honed my meager organizational skills. Somewhat.
    Yep, I agree and much easier to grab one bag and just go. Then you know you have all the essentials. I also don't like to store a bunch of stuff in my car. Surprised not many people use gear bags and shopping bags is the most popular gear bag.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Yep, I agree and much easier to grab one bag and just go. Then you know you have all the essentials. I also don't like to store a bunch of stuff in my car. Surprised not many people use gear bags and shopping bags is the most popular gear bag.
    I don't want to put my sweaty helmet, gear, and clothes in a bag that I'm assuming I can't wash.

I drive a wagon that has storage in the back (under the floor of the wagon part, so you can't even tell it's there) which holds my pump, lights, tools, and such. Most of the time I just need to grab my helmet, shoes, and camelbak from the house and I'm gone.
    NTFTC

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    I carry everything in a clear plastic tote bin; it holds ALL my tools as well as select gear, lubricants, grease rags, spare parts, etc..........everything else gets thrown in the back of my Fit........
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    I got a plastic lidded bin from Costco. It stays in the back of my truck with my bike and all the other "stuff". Just recently started cracking, so going to need a new one pretty soon.
    Gear BOXES are where it's at.

That's where my helmet, gloves, hydration pack, shoes and assorted accessories and a few tools always are. If I have my box, I have everything I need...plus it makes moving all that crap in and out of the car far more simple and allows some degree of ventilation for sweaty helmets, shoes and packs, unlike a bag.

Hermit
    All my stuff I take with me (tools, tube, pump, first aid, extra clothes in the winter, food, water, etc) goes in my pack. It weighs a bit, but I've had enough back country disasters that I would never even think of riding singletrack without it.

The rest of the stuff, that I take with me for before or after, that just goes in whatever big ass plastic shopping bag my wife has sitting around. Whatever works...

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Gear BOXES are where it's at.

That's where my helmet, gloves, hydration pack, shoes and assorted accessories and a few tools always are. If I have my box, I have everything I need...plus it makes moving all that crap in and out of the car far more simple and allows some degree of ventilation for sweaty helmets, shoes and packs, unlike a bag.
    I have one at home, but I think I will go this route for my car/to go stuff. I have most everything between my pack and saddle bag, but I do forget things at times like knee pads and gear stuff. Bags retain all that stink, I used one for soccer but those things get nasty.
    just get a bike and ride!

since 4/10/2009
    I use an adidas bag that was what I used for soccer. It has 2 vented pockets, one for shoes and the other is just a mesh pouch made for a soccer ball, but bike helmets fit awesome in it.

I use it for a change of clothes, and in some cases, shower supplies. Some places I go, I know I'll have an option to shower post-ride (and pre-beer). So in those cases, it'll also contain my towel and other shower supplies.

Aside from shoes and helmet, my ride stuff goes in my hydration pack. I see little reason to put my hydration pack inside another bag. So my food, tools, and most other actual ride gear goes in the hydration pack.

For funky post-ride gear, I have one of these that an Industry 9 rep gave me last year.

W.O.S.C. YukSak // Black ? Weevil Outdoor Supply Co.

This thing is brilliant. Car avoids the sweaty gear smell from post-ride jersey/shorts cooking on a hot day. I'm probably going to buy another, as the bag can only hold enough smelly stuff for 2 people for one day of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    I don't want to put my sweaty helmet, gear, and clothes in a bag that I'm assuming I can't wash.

I drive a wagon that has storage in the back (under the floor of the wagon part, so you can't even tell it's there) which holds my pump, lights, tools, and such. Most of the time I just need to grab my helmet, shoes, and camelbak from the house and I'm gone.
    I always throw my hydration bags, backpacks, gloves, and even shoes sometimes in the washing machine. They always get nice and clean. Just gotta use a gentle cycle. (No pun intended. Haha)

mtbr member
    My son's old lacrosse gear bag; perfect size.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Might want to look at triathlon bags. I have a Tyr transition bag that has a spot for shoes, helmet, and lots of pockets. There's a removable/washable insert in the middle where sweaty/dirty clothes can go. Also has an expandable area on the bottom (typically where I would put my wet suit) for more storage space.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Resurrecting an old thread here. I'm seeking a decent bag for 3-riders. Myself and my kids. I also like to grab one thing and go. Keeping track of my stuff is bad enough. Keeping track of 3 people's stuff is a pain. Minimize trips to the car etc. Does anyone have any suggestions not mentioned above?

So far I've checked out:

Osprey Big Kit - This would be perfect if it were 100L
    Osprey Transporter 95 - This one might be the one.
    Patagonia Black Hole 90/120 - simple, big, durable.
    North Face Base camp 90
    POC 90L duffel - It it were just me and one kid, I'd buy this one.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread here. I'm seeking a decent bag for 3-riders. Myself and my kids. I also like to grab one thing and go. Keeping track of my stuff is bad enough. Keeping track of 3 people's stuff is a pain. Minimize trips to the car etc. Does anyone have any suggestions not mentioned above?

So far I've checked out:

North Face Base camp 90

Here in NorCal, our big thing is getting our cars broken into. My suggestion would be to only bring what fits into your Camelbaks.

Here's some homework: Car break-ins at the local trailheads.
    Collusion!

beater

So far I've checked out:

North Face Base camp 90

The Troy Lee duffle is a winner. Well designed for bike gear, and solidly built.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Gotta have a gear bag for riding for all reasons already metioned. Especially those days where I'm out on a group ride and/or car pooling. All your riding gear, apres clothes, towel - just grab one big duffel and go.

I've been using the 60L Patagonia Black Hole duffel. Its huge, indestructible, waterproof and it'll last forever.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    MX gear bags are huge (TLD, Fox, etc.) and can have some nice features: many pockets, ventilated compartments, integral changing pad, wheels, backpack straps...

Many of these could fit 3 mtb riders' stuff, no problem.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I never thought to put all my stuff in a bag, but now I am wondering why I don't... currently the cab of my truck is just littered with mtb crap. Might not be a horrible idea to organize it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I never thought to put all my stuff in a bag, but now I am wondering why I don't... currently the cab of my truck is just littered with mtb crap. Might not be a horrible idea to organize it.
    Yep works great. I did it for years until I had my bag in the garage and a rat pissed all over it. Threw the bag away and never replaced it. Now Iím reminded of how easy it is to go with a bag. Time to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    MX gear bags are huge (TLD, Fox, etc.) and can have some nice features: many pockets, ventilated compartments, integral changing pad, wheels, backpack straps...

Many of these could fit 3 mtb riders' stuff, no problem.
    Thanks! I'll check out the BMX/Moto bags. I'm sort of torn between getting something so specific or just getting something bomb proof that could serve multiple purposes and last a lifetime. Especially after pricing them out. $100-150 for a bag large and durable enough for what I want. A basic 100L duffel from Amazon would get the job done for $39. And an Osprey @ $180 would get the job done too. I'm 100% sure I'm over thinking it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Thanks! I'll check out the BMX/Moto bags. I'm sort of torn between getting something so specific or just getting something bomb proof that could serve multiple purposes and last a lifetime. Especially after pricing them out. $100-150 for a bag large and durable enough for what I want. A basic 100L duffel from Amazon would get the job done for $39. And an Osprey @ $180 would get the job done too. I'm 100% sure I'm over thinking it.
    Thatís all you need. A cheap bag, nothing fancy with a name brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just ordered 2 Thule Chasm bags. One 90L and one 130L. Planning to send one back after I determine which size will work best. At roughly $150 it's not cheap. But 20% off coupons and other shopping tactics help cushion the blow. Less than several but more than some. As I mentioned, I'm trying to accommodate 3 riders gear and all the extras. With a bag that will last a very very long time.

I went with the Thule because it has:

• More and larger mesh pockets than any competing bags of this size/price
    • Handles to carry like a smaller duffel - most others have only a shoulder harnesses which appear to get in the way when opening/filling/closing
    • Weather proof - I'm certain it will be tossed onto muddy ground often
    • Bombproof construction (although most of the bags at this level are) - this thing will get tossed around a lot.
    • Holds it shape when empty. Easier for loading
    • It's "wider" more than it's "taller" - meaning you get a better view of items when looking down into it.
    • Appears to have the widest opening of these style bags.
    • All of the bags I researched have backpack straps. That's of secondary interest to me. But could come in handy on a road trip or flight.

My 1st runner up and I'd planned to order one as well, is the Marmot Long Hauler 110L. It has a separate pocket near the end that could hold stinky shoes. Several reviews said the base of it isn't waterproof. But otherwise looks like a good design.

Patagonia Black Hole is a nice, bulletproof, weatherproof bag. But no real features for the $$. No doubt the highest quality shell of any of them. The North Face Base camp is extremely popular but the circular shape put me off. I can't really explain why. But it seemed less convenient. Although it does have a separate pocket that could hold shoes.

Here's one of the reviews I found helpful for the Thule.
    https://bikemag.com/gear/review-thule-chasm-90l-duffel/

There are several video reviews online too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I vote for boxes as opposed to bags as well. They work well for me, esp. since I have a hatchback. I can store things vertically (stacking) and I won't crush anything in the bag. I ended up picking up an instacrate for $10-20 at Costco and it's collapsible, so I can easily store it in the car when not in use and not take up too much room.

https://toolguyd.com/blog/wp-content...oduct-Shot.jpg

I sometimes use gear bags to further separate items (such as lighting systems, tools, etc.), but I most often go with tupperware containers. They're cheap, see through, have tons of shapes and sizes, and can easily store items that need to be protected without crushing them, such as Trekz headphones.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thatís all you need. A cheap bag, nothing fancy with a name brand.
    A trash bag works excellent when my ride is muddy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I thought about getting a gear bag for my MTB stuff...but it seems like more work than not. Helmet, pack (don't always use one), and shoes...that's about it. Every gear bag I've had in the past ended up being smelly and pretty grungy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I thought about getting a gear bag for my MTB stuff...but it seems like more work than not. Helmet, pack (don't always use one), and shoes...that's about it. Every gear bag I've had in the past ended up being smelly and pretty grungy.
    I get it. Going out locally alone, I'm with you. Tube/C02 in my jersey pocket, 2 bottles on the bike, shoes/helmet/glasses in the trunk, pump the tires at home and leave. Consider a road trip, weekend getaway or going in someone else's car. Gear bag all the way.

And remind me not to carpool with some of you guys. Your smelly gear would get strewn all over my car!