nimble biker

Best lens color for glasses?

What is the best lens color for mountain biking glasses?

Amber
    Grey
    Clear

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

oootard
    It depends. At night, clear. In the shade, Amber or clear. In the sun, gray.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I didn't do it
    @Picard. You're trying hard. I wonder if and when you're going to run out of random topics. Its all good though, you make me laugh.

Just get some sunglasses and ride dude!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Sneaker man
    easy, you need the Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive lenses...
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Clear isn't a color.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Best lens color for glasses?-visor_2364.jpg

Co Springs
    I vote Brown or Copper for just about any conditions. Sun, fog, hazy grey days, whatever.

I discovered them in the 80's when I was driving 30 to 35k miles year for about 8 years.
    Serengetti Driver Lens - one example (these are now called Vintage , what B.S. -like I'm that old ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best lens color for glasses?-serengeti%25206294%2520wickets%2520tortoise%2520shell%2520sunglasses_1.jpg  

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    For you Picard, a welding mask.

Cycologist
    Interchangeabe is the best color.

I usually go with the amber in the woods, smoked makes it hard to see the roots, amber seems to increase contrast.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    FWIW: Evolution has determined the best spectral response for our eyes to survive/reproduce in prehistoric times. Other animals have different spectral responses that benefits their lifestyles. Is riding a mtb anything like our surviving in prehistory?

On another note, relatively recent US Airforce tests showed that clear is the best for fighter pilots locating and identifying bogies. Still different than mtbing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    FWIW: Evolution has determined the best spectral response for our eyes to survive/reproduce in prehistoric times.
    So what sort of glasses did your cave men wear?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    So what sort of glasses did your cave men wear?
    Stone colored Herr Pig, everyone knows that!

To answer your question Picard, Rose Tinted is easily the best. Climbs look easier and DH runs are much more enticing.

The Peril-sensitive are a close second as they will give you the adrenaline rush you always wanted when they black up in that especially tough and steep rocky section over the 500' drop...
    It's all Here. Now.

9 lives
    Make your own shade and carry a beach umbrella
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Interchangeabe is the best color.

I usually go with the amber in the woods, smoked makes it hard to see the roots, amber seems to increase contrast.
    Can you see roots clearly with Amber?

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Stone colored Herr Pig, everyone knows that!

To answer your question Picard, Rose Tinted is easily the best. Climbs look easier and DH runs are much more enticing.

The Peril-sensitive are a close second as they will give you the adrenaline rush you always wanted when they black up in that especially tough and steep rocky section over the 500' drop...
    Are you sure about Rose tint color? I am ordering new Oakley sun glasses

mtbr member
    For MX, my favorite color was always "persimmon".

It seemed to enhance contrast, and made seeing ruts easier, without giving me a major reduction in light.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Are you sure about Rose tint color? I am ordering new Oakley sun glasses

Rose tint for the clear win Picard!

https://youtu.be/s62MrU8mHx4

Watch and enjoy
    It's all Here. Now.

Rabid Lana fan
    Picard needs...google glass.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Sneaker man
    do you need prescription, if not then just buy a heap of lenses and try them out... its only money after all

or: (go to "lens'")
    Oakley

nimble biker
    I need a prescription

Sneaker man
    They yeah its a bit more of an issue. i have a set of oakleys (Half Jacket )with dark grey lenses, are fine, then the same with clear, great for night (I also use both for running). Then a set of Racking Jackets with transition lenses, slight grey tint, to full grey tint, vented. Perfect on the road bike, have the occasional issue in bright summer when the trails are dusty and you go into tress, spotting some roots, but 99.9% of the time they are perfect.
    Got the half jackets back in 2008, luckily my prescription has only changed very slightly since, although my change of focus isn't what it used to be. I thik I'll be getting some of these digital variable lenses next time.

Nothing seems to kill me
    I'm kinda digging my Oakley Prism Trail so far this season. They really do bring out the details.
    Sweet baby Jesus on fire, I'ma need a damn lawyer and a miracle to pull my ass out of this.

Sneaker man
    also, personal opinion, with prescription, since you want them to last (each of my pairs cost here, $6-700), don't go for the funky lenses iridium or whatever they don't last near as long. My regualr half jackets, even after 9 years are perfect, but my half jackets, whatever the lenses is after 2 years, had worn bits.

MTB B'dos
    You guys make fun of Picard (yes he does start some doozers, I'll give that) but I've asked the question myself, as I don't have the best "night vision" and riding at night, even with a decent light still has me trying to discern objects, better see ruts etc. I wear prescription glasses, so would have to pony up some decent $$ to "try" and can't afford to blow $$ like that. Did try on a few options last time I got new lenses, but wasn't convinced and hard to tell sitting in a opticians office.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You guys make fun of Picard (yes he does start some doozers, I'll give that) but I've asked the question myself, as I don't have the best "night vision" and riding at night, even with a decent light still has me trying to discern objects, better see ruts etc. I wear prescription glasses, so would have to pony up some decent $$ to "try" and can't afford to blow $$ like that. Did try on a few options last time I got new lenses, but wasn't convinced and hard to tell sitting in a opticians office.
    Do we even know he bikes? Maybe this forum is his mechanism to socialize. Some of his questions really beg the question. Just sayin.

Anyway, for what it's worth, the best glasses I have ever had were a pair of Oakley...Flak Jackets...maybe? Not sure of the exact frame. I still wear them. They are well over 10 years old. Anyway, I busted one of the original lenses in a crash but they were a transitional lighter brown. Absolutely perfect for almost all light conditions. Including BC forest darkness. I have gone through about 5 or 6 sets of lenses with those frames but the original transitional brown were always the best. I don't like grey, blue or black. Much prefer browns and pinks.

Good luck Picard!

Professional Crastinator
    Eyewear turns out to be somewhat important for me, as I have really good night vision. The caveat is that my eyes don't adjust to changing light very fast. I crashed so hard once going from shade/sun/shade/sun/shade - ran right into a cement drainage that I could have easily bunny-hopped if I'd seen it. Amber seems to be the cure for that. The best ones I ever had seemed nearly orange. At night, clear or pale yellow. I have some "dark" yellow ones that turned out to be poor for night riding.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

nimble biker
    is yellow lens good for night time & day use on the trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Anyway, for what it's worth, the best glasses I have ever had were a pair of Oakley...Flak Jackets...maybe? Not sure of the exact frame. I still wear them. They are well over 10 years old. Anyway, I busted one of the original lenses in a crash but they were a transitional lighter brown. Absolutely perfect for almost all light conditions. Including BC forest darkness. I have gone through about 5 or 6 sets of lenses with those frames but the original transitional brown were always the best. I don't like grey, blue or black. Much prefer browns and pinks.
    Good luck Picard!
    I've got a set of those from 2008 and they're still hanging in there, and though the lacquer on the frames is peeling now I've never so much as picked up a scratch on the lenses despite being smacked across the face many times by unexpected tree branches*. I did get new lenses a couple of years ago as my eye prescription had shifted, and the optician told me that the tint in the old lenses had faded quite a bit, and they did indeed look very different to the new lenses.

IIRC correctly the Flak Jackets had a variety of tint options, mostly optimised for various sports. Naturally I went for the mountain biking tint (brown-ish), and they really do help. They seem to lift a load off the brain processing necessary to interpret a visual image, which is useful. It's like all the important stuff stands out more.

*Normally what happens is I duck for the first branch, then bring my head back up right before the second branch. With prescription lenses anything closer than arm's length is a bit blurry, so a twiggy smack to the face invariably comes as a surprise. My face gets a bit scarred up, but thanks to the Flak Jackets my corneas are pristine.
    M¦dgemagnet

mtbr member
    I've been using the Oakley Prizm lenses and like them a lot. They work for a pretty broad range of light conditions.

The other glasses I've been using as of late are the 100% Speedcraft. In bright light...they are super clear. They are extremely lightweight too. Friend of mine put them on and he couldn't believe how much sharper everything looked.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Being fat drunk and stupid in rose colored glasses, is no way go through life son.

Best lens color for glasses?-img_2629.jpg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 2 Days Ago at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Being fat drunk and stupid in rose colored glasses, is no longer no way go through life son.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2629.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1147021
    Hey. It is the way of life for me. However I am not FAT

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Being fat drunk and stupid in rose colored glasses, is no longer no way go through life son.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2629.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1147021
    Awe, RIP Flounder, RIP.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Blue blockers

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Blue blockers
    You must watch a lot of late night infomercial infested television.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Blue blockers
    Of course! We all missed the obvious answer.

Picard - no need to worry about prescription lenses. They fit beautifully over your office eyewear.

And just go with whatever the standard tint is. Millions of wise seniors can't be wrong.