mtbr member
    Apr 2011

best grip platform pedal to use with power grip straps.

I have decided that I want to start using the power grip straps when I ride. I do moderate road and trail riding. If you are not familiar, here they are seen combo'd with the "low end" pedals:

Amazon.com: Power Grips Power Grip Sport Pedal and Strap Set: Sports & Outdoors

Here is what I'm torn by......I'm trying to get maximum grip out of this "cage style" pedal system. I'm sick of my feet sliding off of the pedals. I don't know if I should buy the strap/pedal combo, as seen in the link above. Or should I buy the so called "high performance" combo? seen here:

Amazon.com: Power Grips Power Grip High Performance Pedal and Strap Kit: Sports & Outdoors

What is the difference? they look the same!! Are the high performance going to give me more grip? for the most grip possible, would I be better off buying the straps alone and then some super grippy platform pedals seperate. Like maybe these ones:

Amazon.com: MKS Lambda Platform Pedal: Sports & Outdoors

they are the only platform pedals that I can find that claim to have higher grip than normal. would those pedals even be compatible with the power grip straps?

Please let me know what you think I should do for maximum grip using the power grips. I realize ultimate grip would be SPD pedals, but I am trying to stay away from those.

Thanks for the help!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    any reason for staying away from clipless?

second question: why not get some seriously grippy pinned pedals and some grippier shoes?
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm just not ready to become that into riding to wear the special shoes. I know it might sound stupid and unjustified, but I just don't like the idea of not being able to jump off my bike and go for a hike/walk/anything if I want to. I just want to wear my normal shoes. For some reason I just like the idea of wearing my normal shoes.

Now the pinned pedal idea sounds right up my alley. I've never heard of "pinned pedals" but I imagine they are exactly as they sound, and I like the idea. I will go look some up right now. Is there any particular ones that you know of that are extra grippy?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by package81 View Post
    I'm just not ready to become that into riding to wear the special shoes. I know it might sound stupid and unjustified, but I just don't like the idea of not being able to jump off my bike and go for a hike/walk/anything if I want to. I just want to wear my normal shoes. For some reason I just like the idea of wearing my normal shoes.

Now the pinned pedal idea sounds right up my alley. I've never heard of "pinned pedals" but I imagine they are exactly as they sound, and I like the idea. I will go look some up right now. Is there any particular ones that you know of that are extra grippy?
    There are a ton of 'em. Depends how much you want to spend. 5/10 shoes have a great grippy compound on the soles. I wear these exclusively now. Used PowerGrips when they first came out several aeons ago, used clipless for ages too, now happy with these as they give you plenty of grip, they hone your skills somewhat, and you can 'dab' in a big hurry if you need to.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of getting some PowerGrips for my wife, she has limited use of her left side, from a stroke and cannot "feel" her foot click-in when using clipless pedals. The "Sport" pedal body is resin w/ steel spindle, and the "High Performance" pedal body is aluminum w/ chromoly spindle.

mtbr member
    If you ever think you would go clipless, I suggest to get the Shimano M324's, which allow you to wear regular shoes on one side, and then flip it over to the other side to go clipless.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by package81 View Post

Dude, you need some 5.10's. I wear 5.10 Hellcat SPD's, the clip is recessed into the sole so you don't feel it while walking or riding platforms. They come with a filler piece shown below if you don't have clips installed. They work awesome!

2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd go with the clipless one side/pedal other side (PD-M34). More versatility.

I rode with power grips for about 9 months when getting into mountain biking. I didn't realize how hard they were to get out of on chunkier trails until I went clipless. You also have to deal with various shoe profiles not fitting without adjusting the strap. Another PITA.

With the grippy flats or clipless/pedal combo you won't have that issue.