mtbr member
    Nov 2010

best dual sided pedals - i want spikes on one side and clip in on the other - ideas??

Hi All, I just got my first set up clipless pedals after riding 510 shoes and flats for 3 years. No doubt I am fast up hill and on the flats, waaaay faster. But downhills are not nearly as fun. Now it has only been three rides but im a bit sketched when i cant just get my feet out.

So I was looking at the crank brothers mallet 3. Are these the best option? I think they do what i want.

Appreciate any help with setup and the shoes I will also need - I want to ride the clipless setup on flats and uphill and easy downhills, then when it gets good, I want to switch to a flat type pedal.

really appreciate help on the setup

It's about showing up.
    Be patient with the clipless pedals. They may feel weird for bit until you learn to use them.
    I don't rattle.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Shimano SPD pedals + multi release cleats. That is your best bet. The dual sided pedals pretty much all suck, because the side you want, yeah, that will always be on the bottom. Check the trails out there to see how many people run these pedals. Flats or clipless, pick one.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I rode first gen Mallet for abot 18 months many years ago...finally ditched them for clipless. They may help you make your decision, clipless or flats but they are not long-term pedlas. Been riding flats now for 4 years, do not miss clipless at all, never going back.

mtbr member
    I ride both, but I usually tend to stick with flats...But on long XC rides I'll sometimes toss on the clipless...That's one part of my riding that my ADD keeps me from making a hard and fast decision on...LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    when i say "never going back" there's alway an exception, so I keep a pair of old Time ATAC Aliums in my bin, just in case...

JunkBoy
    Jan 2012
    I've been using these for the last couple of years and they work for me. Got pins on one side that my hellcats stick to like glue and have no issues clipping on/off with on the other side!
    Wellgo WAM-D10 Pedal Reviews - Mtbr.com

Team Livemedium
    ^ what he said. best of both worlds. get em and don't listen to others. held up
    for years. platform for sketchy. clip for easy. no bump on platform side.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Team Livemedium
    ^ what he said. best of both worlds. get em and don't listen to others. held up
    for years. platform for sketchy. clip for easy. no bump on platform side.

edit: I use louis garneau terra shoes. hooks up to both sides just fine.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    hi all, thanks so much for the suggestions and opinions. I am now 4 rides into clipless and love them for everything but tech stuff, up or down. For some reason I just cant get out when i need to, but i need to figure it out. No knee pain, much less muscle recovery also, smoother, stiffer, its all good except what i mentioned. But one bad fall would ruin it so maybe ill get those Wellgo pedals.

mtbr member
    Do not waste your time w/ dual sided pedals. The flats will suck, and the shoes w/ clipless cleats won't allow you the grip on the flat you would need even if they didn't suck.

IMO, you gotta commit one way or the other. Trying dual sided, or worse, clipping out and trying to ride on the middle part of your foot w/o clipping in is not the way to go.

FWIW, I rode clipless for about 6 years, been on flats since then, and I don't miss clipless at all for the riding I do.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road