mtbr member

best bicycle book

what's yours? - any genre.

i got about halfway through "the third policeman" by flann o'brien before throwing in the towel - too "gosh and begorrah" and leprechaun-ish by half.

there are some sherlock holmes stories featuring bicycles - must check those out.
    OBOB - facebook group for old boys on bikes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456223717957232/

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's a 70's era roadie book, but I really enjoyed "The Rider" by Tim Krabbe.
    Hold my beer and watch this!

Brackish

Re: best bicycle book

Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance.

mtbr member
    Pro Cycling on $10 a Day. From Fat Kid to Euro Pro.
    Phil Gaimon

mtbr member
    I enjoyed a book called "Into Thick Air" about a guy riding his bike to all of the low spots on the continents other than Antarctica. I can't remember his name though.

T.W.O.
    The "bible" Mastering the Mountain bike skills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

best bicycle book

"Wheelmen" is pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retro on Steroids
    My book comes out in a few weeks. I have considerable confidence that this will be the most popular book to date on mountain biking. I don't know anyone who could put more on that subject between two book covers than I just did.

"Fat Tire Flyer" is my story from about 1970 to 1992. In 1971 I was a rock band roadie and a hippie bike fanatic. I met another hippie bike fanatic named Gary Fisher, who hung out with the Grateful Dead. We had so much in common that we shared a house. We started building off-road bikes out of old Schwinns and the like. We called them "clunkers."

best bicycle book-bondsbike2.jpg

For about three years starting in 1976 I put on a crazy race down a steep hill on fat tire bikes. Downhill racing caught on everywhere else later.

best bicycle book-scan0014-2-.jpg

Then we started making bikes specifically for the race rather than putting together old clunkers.

best bicycle book-ckrepack.jpg

In 1979 and Gary Fisher and I rented a garage where we assembled this new kind of bike on frames built in another garage by a kid named Tom Ritchey. We called our company "MountainBikes." Here's our business card.

Name:  mtb-ftf-7-81.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  34.2 KB

Then big companies started copying the bikes we made and everybody started riding them. They even used our company name to describe all off-road bikes, so Gary and I renamed our company "Kelly-Fisher MountainBikes."

best bicycle book-kellyfisher.jpg

In 1983 I sold my share of the company to Gary, and it became Fisher Mountain Bikes.

In 1980 I started a little newsletter, and it grew into the first mountain bike magazine.

best bicycle book-ftf_logo.jpg

I don't know anyone who had a better bike adventure than I did. Mountain biking took me all over the world, from the Giro d'Italia to the Iditarod.

best bicycle book-moser.jpg

There are lots of photos that nobody else has. Here's one of Bobby Weir of the Grateful Dead from a ride we took in 1992.

best bicycle book-weir1a.jpg

Fat Tire Flyer will be available September 17. Click this for more info.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    "Pro Cycling on $10 a Day" - Phil Gaimon
    "The Secret Race" - Tyler Hamilton
    "The Happiness of Pursuit" - Davis Phinney. Great read about one of the pioneers of US pro cycling, and Phinney's struggle with Parkinsons Disease. I read this after one of my best riding buds was diagnosed. Really helped me understand what he was going through and what he could potentially face as the disease progressed.

Have not come across many good MTB books, although Repack's sounds very promising.

mtbr member
    Cycle Of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong by Juliet Macur.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    "Fat Tire Flyer" is my story from about 1970 to 1992. In 1971 I was a rock band roadie and a hippie bike fanatic. I met another hippie bike fanatic named Gary Fisher, who hung out with the Grateful Dead. We had so much in common that we shared a house. We started building off-road bikes out of old Schwinns and the like. We called them "clunkers."

For about three years starting in 1976 I put on a crazy race down a steep hill on fat tire bikes. Downhill racing caught on everywhere else later.

I don't know anyone who had a better bike adventure than I did. Mountain biking took me all over the world, from the Giro d'Italia to the Iditarod.
    Wow, that is amazing. With all of the meaningless threads about gear and wheel size necessary to really mountain bike, you guys did it all on bikes that probably no one here would even attempt to ride.

I don't buy a lot of books, but this is one I will get. Good job and thank you for the effort to pull this together.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Metal Cowboy: Joe Kurmaskie. His books are hilarious.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Secret Race, by Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle. Nice book. i really like it. its really thrilling reading this book. its an award winning book.

mtbr member
    Bike Snob NYC has a hilarious blog that has spun off three books now. I can't read his stuff out loud without laughing too much to get the words out.

mtbr member
    The Masked Rider - Cycling West Africa by Neil Peart is great. Right now I am all about The Mountain Bikers Guide to Colorado by Dan Hickstein.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
    The Masked Rider - Cycling West Africa by Neil Peart is great. Right now I am all about The Mountain Bikers Guide to Colorado by Dan Hickstein.
    Neil Peart as in Rushs' drummer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    team 7-eleven is a good read, any of Bob Rolls books, The fat cyclist?? I think it was called, about a fat English professor at University of Indiana going on a protein shake only diet and riding his ass off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    team 7-eleven is a good read, any of Bob Rolls books, The fat cyclist?? I think it was called, about a fat English professor at University of Indiana going on a protein shake only diet and riding his ass off.
    Forgot about Roll's books. Some of his stories (about half of which I believe) are hilarious. He touches on his career racing MTBs and discusses how much more difficult it was than road racing. Good read for sure.

mtbr member
    A biography about Major Taylor. Can't remember the name but I think I read it around five years ago so it's still current.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    Neil Peart as in Rushs' drummer?
    Yep. He has written several books. Search it out on Amazon or the like, good stuff.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    A biography about Major Taylor. Can't remember the name but I think I read it around five years ago so it's still current.
    "Major Taylor" by Andrew Ritchie, another excellent read.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That's the coolest picture of Bobby ever!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WHEELS ON ICE: CYCLING IN ALASKA 1898-1908
    Miners with Goldrush fever during the stampede. Very entertaining if you can find a copy