Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    which is the best for going in trail lol I mean we all know like what's best for mountain right? what model what stuff etc.. I donno man. Other than fits honestly. I think like Fox is better than rockshox but rockshox as I heard is minimum for trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I was looking at all four of those bikes... Giant Talon 5 27.5, X-Caliber 4 and 5, Marlin 6. The X-Caliber 4 and 5 are 29ers and it was just felt slightly too large (I am 5'6" w/ 29" inseam. The Marlin 6 i was looking at was in a small frame so it was a 27.5. In the end it came down to The Marlin 6 and Talon 5 ($530 for the Talon, $550 for Marlin 6)... I went with the Talon because it just fit me the best, I was pleased with the components it came with (other than the fork, which I will be upgrading via the Suntour Upgrade Program, so that wasn't a factor in my decision), I liked the matte black color better than the shiny black on the Marlin, also the LBS I bought the Talon at is closer to my house (2 miles) than the LBS that sold the Marlin (20 miles away).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PouyaA View Post
    which is the best for going in trail lol I mean we all know like what's best for mountain right? what model what stuff etc.. I donno man. Other than fits honestly. I think like Fox is better than rockshox but rockshox as I heard is minimum for trail
    RockShox and Fox are companies, not products. I threw this together for someone else looking to get into mountain biking:
    Best Beginner Mountain Bike? ~0-rockshox29.pngBest Beginner Mountain Bike? ~0-rockshox26.png
    There are different forks depending upon whether the type of riding you want to do is what people would call XC, trail, AM, FR or DH. The truth is that as a beginner, a real XC fork should exceed your capabilities if you're only riding down things you can ride up. (Obviously you'd need a different fork and bike if you're a beginner who's riding lifts to enjoy downhill rides on an XC fork)

I know eb has complained about the Suntour forks, but I've had better rides on some Suntour forks than the XC28. The point is that it doesn't matter if it says Fox or RockShox on the shock, try to get a fork that is ready for the trails. (Which would mean at least a "cross country" fork on the charts above, although I'd avoid the XCs.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    RockShox and Fox are companies, not products. I threw this together for someone else looking to get into mountain biking:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rockshox29.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	905072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rockshox26.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	905073
    There are different forks depending upon whether the type of riding you want to do is what people would call XC, trail, AM, FR or DH. The truth is that as a beginner, a real XC fork should exceed your capabilities if you're only riding down things you can ride up. (Obviously you'd need a different fork and bike if you're a beginner who's riding lifts to enjoy downhill rides on an XC fork)

I know eb has complained about the Suntour forks, but I've had better rides on some Suntour forks than the XC28. The point is that it doesn't matter if it says Fox or RockShox on the shock, try to get a fork that is ready for the trails. (Which would mean at least a "cross country" fork on the charts above, although I'd avoid the XCs.)
    Wait so rockshox has xc too? or is it just a brand that has xc. because I know rockshox has reba forks and seems like it's the only one that has it..

So we again go back to brands don't we? -Confused.,.

Trail Noob
    Wait so rockshox has xc too? or is it just a brand that has xc. because I know rockshox has reba forks and seems like it's the only one that has it..

So we again go back to brands don't we? -Confused.,.
    You have the brand (RockShox) and the model (XC, Reba, SID, Boxxer)

It's like Manitou (brand) has the Minute, Tower, Circus
    Fox (brand) has the Talas, Float
    SR Suntour has the XCR, XCM, Epicon
    (keep in mind these aren't the only models these companies make, just a few examples)

Also, XC is just an abbreviation for cross-country. Kinda like BMX is for bicycle moto-cross.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just found a "unique" german bike for sale in my price range
    Here are what comes with it:
    Name: Trenda DE TW 1.7 (said the guy but I think it's TW 1.6) It seems like a popular brand in Germany org price is around 2k euro I asked what year it is so I can see if it's good price.
    - Frame: Trenga DE RLT Hydro Cut 6.3 frame, triple disc only, butted, smooth welded
    - Size M ( I am 5'7" and fits nice) <- says the guy:/
    - Fork: Rock Shox Reba Race fork, 100mm, rebound adjustable,
    - Rear shocks: X fusion 02-rc
    - Motion Control damping platform
    - Shimano Deore XT completely
    - Brakes: powerful Hydraulic (the front brake needs a tune up)
    - All in Aluminum (very light & easy to handle)
    - Tire + wheel: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
    - Crank: Shimano Hollowtech II
    - Brand NEW Self sealing tube
    - Brand NEW SRAM cassette
    - Brand NEW SRAM chain

Co Springs
    I just found a "unique" german bike for sale in my price range
    Here are what comes with it:
    Name: Trenda DE TW 1.7 (said the guy but I think it's TW 1.6) It seems like a popular brand in Germany org price is around 2k euro I asked what year it is so I can see if it's good price.
    - Frame: Trenga DE RLT Hydro Cut 6.3 frame, triple disc only, butted, smooth welded
    - Size M ( I am 5'7" and fits nice) <- says the guy:/
    - Fork: Rock Shox Reba Race fork, 100mm, rebound adjustable,
    - Rear shocks: X fusion 02-rc
    - Motion Control damping platform
    - Shimano Deore XT completely
    - Brakes: powerful Hydraulic (the front brake needs a tune up)
    - All in Aluminum (very light & easy to handle)
    - Tire + wheel: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
    - Crank: Shimano Hollowtech II
    - Brand NEW Self sealing tube
    - Brand NEW SRAM cassette
    - Brand NEW SRAM chain
    Find out more on brand and model then see where it is on this list......

List of bicycle brands and manufacturing companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once you find it, you should be able read all sorts of reviews on it and get some idea of what it is and how well it's valued over brands that everyone is familiar with.
    He listed no asking price ?
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Find out more on brand and model then see where it is on this list......

List of bicycle brands and manufacturing companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once you find it, you should be able read all sorts of reviews on it and get some idea of what it is and how well it's valued over brands that everyone is familiar with.
    He listed no asking price ?
    It's a 2010 model $580 he hasn't sold it yet he post it 13 days ago. I told him to keep he asks for $100 but I think it won't sell anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I can't seem to find the brand...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    New bike found: Santa cruz VP free
    Fox dhx 4.0 rear shocks
    888 Bomber in front
    I don't know what year :/ Sells for $800 good deal ?

Co Springs
    New bike found: Santa cruz VP free
    Fox dhx 4.0 rear shocks
    888 Bomber in front
    I don't know what year :/ Sells for $800 good deal ?

So the asking price is $800 and it's new but you don't know the year? I'm at a loss to see how these deals keep coming up yet providing only parts of the information.

Keep it simple- does the bike fit you after you seeing it and riding it... (this assuming it was in your price range to begin with). A deal means zero if you don't like it or it doesn't impress you.

If used ..... Verify the year, make and model and read up on it as per reviews, org selling price and sale prices they probably paid for it.

Decide if you like it enough to pay a fair price. There is even a bike blue book.

On used bikes.... I have no idea what upgraded parts are worth after they have been used and are 6 weeks old or 3 years old. They didn't buy them to up the selling price used, figure they got their use out of them and either know it or are trying too hard to sell the bike. That can make anyone suspicious.

You can always go bike as new on sale then add a discont fork a year or two later for $200 more. You'll get great use out of most bikes on your learning curve so the time you'd need to rebuild or overhaul a shock could be the nicer upgrade you do a year or 2 out anyways.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    year 2006, not new did I say new? sorry. I thought it's dhx 4 but it's dhx 5 actually. He said he bought the frame around 2250 that time.
    I figured I love santa cruz bikes more than others in terms of looks so I donno no other bike looks as good. He said he is fine with 650 (I didn't give him a deal he said 650 is good price) I'm asking for the reciept to make sure it's not stolen and will check the serial number, first I have to sell my laptop because I need the money faster my work pays around 120 each other week...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Not stolen i checked the serial number, seems great. I just need to test it out, do you think so too? or is it too old?

Before I check the bike I want to have tips if possible to know how to check the bike before buying, what to check and everything in there.

mtbr member
    I figured I love santa cruz bikes more than others in terms of looks so I donno no other bike looks as good.
    looks should be way down on your priority list. Identify the suspension type (rigid, FS, HT), wheel size (26, 27.5, 29) and type (XC, Trail, AM, FR, DH) of bike you're most interested in, demo bikes in that zone, reevaluate your initial choices, demo bikes based on the new information (if necessary) and then start considering things like how the bike looks after you have a short list of bikes you actually like.

I could find the deal of a lifetime on a high end 26" downhill bike in a frame size that fits me, but it'd still be a horrible bike for me to consider purchasing for the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    looks should be way down on your priority list. Identify the suspension type (rigid, FS, HT), wheel size (26, 27.5, 29) and type (XC, Trail, AM, FR, DH) of bike you're most interested in, demo bikes in that zone, reevaluate your initial choices, demo bikes based on the new information (if necessary) and then start considering things like how the bike looks after you have a short list of bikes you actually like.

I could find the deal of a lifetime on a high end 26" downhill bike in a frame size that fits me, but it'd still be a horrible bike for me to consider purchasing for the riding I do.
    Aren't DH bikes the best for everything? (well can be used in all) I don't really get the difference between them.. Anyways I think down hills the kind of bikes I like it seems fun too.. What do you think about the price of the bike though? juicy 5s brake, dhx 5.0 rear shock 888 bomber in front 2006 frame by santa cruz

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thread is pretty painful... No DH bikes aren't the best for everything. In general they are the worst for everything.
    They are awesome for going DH and looking cool.
    Stick to a HT on your budget and used if you can find a solid ride. Get fitted so you have a good idea before you go and look at random bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I thought the style I like is the best... lol I can get HT for 300 easy but if you look at the posts of the forks I need, most don't come with it. If I want to spend more I'll just get one with full suspension, I don't like ht my self to be honest, I never had one, well never had a bike with fork but rear shock was always there.

Co Springs
    If you know what 80 or 90% of your riding will be, that makes it pretty easy to figure out the bike. HT's climb good and get around a lot of stuff just okay. As said, no bike is perfect at everything. Some full sus climb good and the long travel DH (enduro?) soak up the hits and rocks but I hear lots of shuttle speak so I assume the riders put up with much less pedaling efficiency for climbs and shuttle when possible. If the full sus have lock outs, I'd think that would be a pleasant exception.

If you know what you have avail to spend and what type of bike you need, you are done. Save up what you need and go pull the trigger on the best deal you find when you have cash in hand.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock77 View Post
    Thread is pretty painful... No DH bikes aren't the best for everything. In general they are the worst for everything.
    They are awesome for going DH and looking cool.
    Stick to a HT on your budget and used if you can find a solid ride. Get fitted so you have a good idea before you go and look at random bikes.
    This thread is very painful. OP is all over the place.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3002/2500

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Yeah !

Over and Out .............. bachman

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    wait can you help me, I'm gonna check the bike out but I want to make sure it's alright! It seems like a good deal but I don't know how to make sure it's not a bad one. The shocks and forks are good (dhx 5.0 and 888 rc2x, but other parts I don't want them to be a replaced one, and how can I make sure the 888 are working good or the dhx are there videos?)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3