Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want to bring your SF10 bike over to Stony to ride Rollercoaster with me we'll trade back and forth for fun to see how long we last. And we're not beginners.

Well you have one rider telling you his experiences.
    You want to be a pro rider. That means you will want to develop skills on difficult trails. I'm trying to get you going without wasting your money in the long run.
    Suntour designed and builds the 'X' forks. This is what they say.--
    "Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house."
    They know their own product better than anyone on the internet.
    And they have a program that let you upgrade to a real trail fork, but you have to promise to junk the 'X' fork.
    And you have the hundreds of riders who have upgraded, some with reviews on the 'Suntour Fork Upgrade' thread on this site.
    So you have all that or a guy who has never made a recommendation except buy whatever cheap bike you want because it doesn't matter you'll be fine.

Last year we recommended the Airborne Guardian all the time. And some Gravity Point 5s on sale for awhile at BikeDirect. And in 2012 and early in 2013 the $1100 Airborne Goblin because it still had the dual air Reba fork. This year, because they have a better fork for the same money as the Guardian someone else found those 2013 Marin Bobcats on ebay.
    When they're gone they are gone. The 2014 bikes on Marin's site have a heavier lower quality fork now and a higher price. They will not be recommended as the best deal for the money.
    You can use the 2013 Bobcat as a baseline to compare things to. You can find other good deals if you are lucky and put in the work.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Any of the bikes listed above will handle trails just fine. The forks are fine. They are not bomb proof, but they will handle the trails just fine. When your price range is where it is, you get what you pay for. eb1888 - you are consistently deterring people from buying bikes with your bike path/dirt road only statement. Since you appear to be familiar with Michigan trails, I will have you know that I rode Poto on my 2010 Specializec Hardrock 29er with its "crappy" SR Suntour SF10-NVX-MLO 80mm travel fork. I did just fine. The bike didn't explode, the fork didn't disintegrate. There weren't angels holding me up so that the fork could handle all the bumps and roots. It was fine. I got on the bike, pedaled, and had a great time. I have since upgraded to different bikes several times, but that bike was fine for a beginner bike, and in the price range that beginners are looking, that is what they will usually get.

You say that you are not affiliated with the eBay bike that you posted. You constantly post it however. Not the link to the Marin site, but to that specific seller/auction. Your actions are speaking louder than your words. This is all that I will say regarding it.

Good story. ^^

OP;
    Ride, have fun, enjoy the bike and fix it as needed, upgrade parts or the whole darn thing when you can afford to. When you start blaming the bike for everything or not letting you get better, make sure it's actually true.

My two bikes added up are 36 years old and lots of fun. More than likely, I'll keep the 2001 and upgrade or update as parts are needed.

If you get down to 2 bikes don't flip a coin, pick the one that gives you the better gut-feeling and fit or pick the cool, wacky or fun color.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Ain't that complicated, you want to get a new bike around 500 bucks to ride real trails, get a rigid fork and a big cushy tire swapped in. You'll be a better rider for it if you decide you can afford appropriate suspension for the tougher trails later on, I guarantee it...

I'd rather be on my bike
    $500 bike budget and you want to go pro? Your skills better far exceed those of anyone on the circuit right now.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think I'm going to buy the Talon 27.5 5, it has the best components for the price. But then it all comes down to if I get a job at bike shop then I get discount and will buy a better one in talon series probably. Please tell me which one has better fork: Talon 27.5 5 -suntour XCT MLO, w/PreLoad Adjsuter and Lockout, 100mm travel

or X caliber 4 - SR Suntour M-3030 w/coil spring, preload, 75mm travel

or X caliber 5 -RST Blaze T w/coil spring, preload, 100mm travel

Or Marlin 6 - SR Suntour XCT, coil spring, preload, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel

I personally favor the caliber 5 my self but it's more than what I want in price range, Talon seems good price still and it comes like marlin 6 but better to me I think. Anyway if you can rank them let me know which one has best fork which has worst.

Co Springs
    $500 bike budget and you want to go pro? Your skills better far exceed those of anyone on the circuit right now.
    Got to start somewhere.
    I'm assuming he knows it's more of a journey and will be paying his dues.

I'd be worried if his grammy gave him a $ 6000.00 check to go get a bike.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PouyaA View Post
    I think I'm going to buy the Talon 27.5 5, it has the best components for the price. But then it all comes down to if I get a job at bike shop then I get discount and will buy a better one in talon series probably. Please tell me which one has better fork: Talon 27.5 5 -suntour XCT MLO, w/PreLoad Adjsuter and Lockout, 100mm travel

or X caliber 4 - SR Suntour M-3030 w/coil spring, preload, 75mm travel

or X caliber 5 -RST Blaze T w/coil spring, preload, 100mm travel

Or Marlin 6 - SR Suntour XCT, coil spring, preload, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel

I personally favor the caliber 5 my self but it's more than what I want in price range, Talon seems good price still and it comes like marlin 6 but better to me I think. Anyway if you can rank them let me know which one has best fork which has worst.
    All are about the same, occupying the bottom rung on the quality ladder. None is designed for trails. Your best bet seems to be to get the bike you like the looks of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    All are about the same, occupying the bottom rung on the quality ladder. None is designed for trails. Your best bet seems to be to get the bike you like the looks of.
    Seems like you actually want to help me I like you man honesty I think you know what I want and are telling me the reality! If it's honesty best to get a bike for any other price let me know.

I am in highschool looking for a job with the money saved I'll buy a bike to go prof in the sport and save the rest for my university money! Anyways for the guy who said his grammy gave him the check.. please I'm willing to work my butt off for the bike, I did for my laptop.. Intel 7, SSD, 2GB quadro Nvidia hmmm. I'm smart about my money brother, but I'm still learning more about bikes they are more complicated than what seems like a frame and handle bar. And Only some replies understand what I want.

Zowie I still don't get you lol, you want me to upgrade the cheap bike? (seems cheap to you guys but not to me). I can buy used bike honesty my friend bought his giant 2011 for $800 and seems pretty good. That's what I want honestly, but you guys tell me it's better to buy from a dealer for life time tune ups and etc. So I'm going to do that because it seems like a legit-able reasons.

Co Springs
    Anyways for the guy who said his grammy gave him the check.. please I'm willing to work my butt off for the bike, I did for my laptop.. Intel 7, SSD, 2GB quadro Nvidia hmmm. I'm smart about my money brother, but I'm still learning more about bikes they are more complicated than what seems like a frame and handle bar. And Only some replies understand what I want.
    I think you got backwards. My point was I have more respect for someone starting out who is at the bottom rung of the ladder and knows it. The $6000 bike handed to someone is going to put one so far behind the learning curve it should be put in a trust fund til they burn though a few cheaper bikes learning how to r-i-d-e .

Translation- I think you are going about it all in the correct frame of mind. Get grass stains on your big-boy pants and have fun learning and pushing yourself ! As for entry level bikes, YOU are the one that'll make any bike dance in this category. Most $600 bikes today were $1200 bikes 6 years ago. ( kinda like computers ) lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You may notice I haven't suggested buying from a shop for the tuneups.
    You can easily learn to tune and maintain your bike. And you need to because you may be miles from anywhere when something happens...no shop will come out for you on a service call.
    I suggest you get a bike that you won't have to upgrade to ride trails. The cheapest one I know of is the Marin, but you can get a bike off your list and spend $200 later for a real fork. Or look around for a used bike. It will need a good fork. Getting a job at a shop would be a good way to save on purchases and learn more about bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You may notice I haven't suggested buying from a shop for the tuneups.
    You can easily learn to tune and maintain your bike. And you need to because you may be miles from anywhere when something happens...no shop will come out for you on a service call.
    I suggest you get a bike that you won't have to upgrade to ride trails. The cheapest one I know of is the Marin, but you can get a bike off your list and spend $200 later for a real fork. Or look around for a used bike. It will need a good fork. Getting a job at a shop would be a good way to save on purchases and learn more about bikes.
    As I said before I don't really know what tune up means.. but if it means fixing the gears and making sure all the cables work and adjusting the brakes and stuff then I already know it. So you tell me it's okay if I go for used. What's the marvin bike your talking about??

Thanks man!!

@Bachman:
    I got what you mean, but I don't want to spend $1000 then $2000 then $5000 for bikes each year I mean I don't have the money my friend. I want one bike that can hold for 4 more years of me training. I don't think a bike that's $5000 vs a bike that's $600 will change someone's skill as long as it works in the trail. Money can't stop someone from becoming their best This is why I want to buy used because I'll get a good bike for $600 or cheaper that is better all the bikes that I could get new...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Norco Fluid 2010 Check it out Great deal to me, I'll tell the guy if he can wait to sell it!

Co Springs
    As I said before I don't really know what tune up means.. but if it means fixing the gears and making sure all the cables work and adjusting the brakes and stuff then I already know it. So you tell me it's okay if I go for used. What's the marvin bike your talking about??

Thanks man!!

@Bachman:
    I got what you mean, but I don't want to spend $1000 then $2000 then $5000 for bikes each year I mean I don't have the money my friend. I want one bike that can hold for 4 more years of me training. I don't think a bike that's $5000 vs a bike that's $600 will change someone's skill as long as it works in the trail. Money can't stop someone from becoming their best This is why I want to buy used because I'll get a good bike for $600 or cheaper that is better all the bikes that I could get new...
    If you are handy, by all means the used bike market will give up some nicer deals and better bikes for the money provided you can save the costs of your own DIY maint and fixes. Sounds like you are changing your plan a bit.
    As to the expenses of other bikes or a dif one each year, I didn't elaborate on any such thing. From what I gather, you want to get into mtn biking soon, don't have lots of $$ to throw at it and want be a quick study to gain skills and experience so you can start competing. Only you know what you'll be able to earn, budget or spend along the way.

Co Springs
    Norco Fluid 2010 Check it out Great deal to me, I'll tell the guy if he can wait to sell it!
    That looks like the ticket. I'd borrow whatever part of that $400 you need today if it is as good as it sounds and the frame size works for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    If you are handy, by all means the used bike market will give up some nicer deals and better bikes for the money provided you can save the costs of your own DIY maint and fixes. Sounds like you are changing your plan a bit.
    As to the expenses of other bikes or a dif one each year, I didn't elaborate on any such thing. From what I gather, you want to get into mtn biking soon, don't have lots of $$ to throw at it and want be a quick study to gain skills and experience so you can start competing. Only you know what you'll be able to earn, budget or spend along the way.
    Now we are talking check out the link I sent seems legit-able and great!

I'd rather be on my bike
    That Norco lists no size. It would be great if it were your size, but don't get it just to get it, and have the wrong size bike. You will be throwing money and parts at it to make it fit, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. At some point, you just can't fit a round peg in a square hole.
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

I'd rather be on my bike
    As I said before I don't really know what tune up means.. but if it means fixing the gears and making sure all the cables work and adjusting the brakes and stuff then I already know it.
    This is the part that I don't get. You know how to tune up a bike, but you don't know what a tune up is? Can you do basic repairs, such as replace a tube, adjust the derailleur, replace a derailleur hanger, adjust the brakes, and fix a broken chain? Those are the types of repairs that you will need to possibly do trailside.
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Seems like you actually want to help me I like you man honesty I think you know what I want and are telling me the reality! If it's honesty best to get a bike for any other price let me know.

I am in highschool looking for a job with the money saved I'll buy a bike to go prof in the sport and save the rest for my university money! Anyways for the guy who said his grammy gave him the check.. please I'm willing to work my butt off for the bike, I did for my laptop.. Intel 7, SSD, 2GB quadro Nvidia hmmm. I'm smart about my money brother, but I'm still learning more about bikes they are more complicated than what seems like a frame and handle bar. And Only some replies understand what I want.

Zowie I still don't get you lol, you want me to upgrade the cheap bike? (seems cheap to you guys but not to me). I can buy used bike honesty my friend bought his giant 2011 for $800 and seems pretty good. That's what I want honestly, but you guys tell me it's better to buy from a dealer for life time tune ups and etc. So I'm going to do that because it seems like a legit-able reasons.
    Nope, my suggestion would be to put a rigid fork on whatever you're buying for five hundred bucks. IMHO, an OEM fork on a sub 1000 bike is not one you want to attempt to abuse. But then again, I'm big and I beat on stuff. YMMV, yadda yadda yadda...

Used would really be the way to go @ that budget, if the market's good where you're at, and you know your way around bikes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you want a new bike for $500 just go to a good shop and buy one. The major manufacturers are all the basically the same when it comes to quality. The component groups will be similar. Just get the one that fits you best.

Cannondale, Trek, Speciaized, Giant all good. It doesn't matter which as long as you're comfortable on it.

The Trek X-caliber or Marlin are fine bikes to get out the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is the part that I don't get. You know how to tune up a bike, but you don't know what a tune up is? Can you do basic repairs, such as replace a tube, adjust the derailleur, replace a derailleur hanger, adjust the brakes, and fix a broken chain? Those are the types of repairs that you will need to possibly do trailside.
    I think by broken chain you mean like the chain that get's out of order thing right? (I'm not saying your saying it wrong I'm saying I don't know if broken chain means like ripped chain or not working because of gearchange) but I know the gearchange one but I know if ripped I need to replace but I don't know how to replace yet but whatever I won't have a chain in my hand in middle of a trail lol
    --Imagine..

Anyways everyone who thought the norco was good deal, well it was it was sold..

Zowie: what's the difference between a $50 fork (I'm guessing that's what's on the $500 bikes) and a $200 fork? I mean will it affect me or is it just more comfortable, because I think with any bike as long as the frame doesn't brake and handles and gear works you can ride it down trail. even without brakes lol.

Or is it that the $50 wll brake? because I have a fork that's not moving (anyone knows how to fix it?) I'll give the bike to my older brother after I bought a good bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    If you want a new bike for $500 just go to a good shop and buy one. The major manufacturers are all the basically the same when it comes to quality. The component groups will be similar. Just get the one that fits you best.

Cannondale, Trek, Speciaized, Giant all good. It doesn't matter which as long as you're comfortable on it.

The Trek X-caliber or Marlin are fine bikes to get out the trail.
    What eb told me is that used is better choice and I think he is right. In my mind I still think everything used is better as long as it's not sexual thing like a condom lol. or anything that can exchange bacteria in a way that we can't wash the bacteria off.

Also I don't know if diamondbacks are good or not. What I mean is that are there any brands like blackberry for smartphones? I bought my blackberry burly used for $200 while new it's $700 or New Motorola razr for $200 while new was $600. The brands that bikers don't like but they are just as good as other bikes, like blackberry is as good as iphone in order of specs if you know what I mean, but it's cheaper used but new they are all same. Sorry if I'm kinda confusing lol

I'd rather be on my bike
    If you snap your chain, do you know how to replace a link?

Usually going used on a bike will get you more for your money, usually. You need to know what you are looking for, and know when a good deal comes along, and when you will get ripped off.

Instead of focusing on a brand name, I think that you should focus on the components. The different levels really constitute what makes a bike good. Frame quality is pretty much the same across the board, so that levels the playing field or at least makes it close. The components are the major focus. You can take a Huffy, and though it will be heavy, if you swap out all the components with SRAM XX or whatever that will totally change the bike. The same goes for the top of the line Cannondale or Giant. Slap some garbage fork on there, a low end drivetrain, horrific $12 side pull V brakes, and you will have a garbage bike. It is hard to do this, but in the long run, this will help you get the better bike.
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

Clueless Bastard
    Three rules to bike purchase.
    1 - Buy the bike that fits.
    2 - Buy the bike you like.
    3 - Buy the bike you can afford.

How do you do this? Ride at least 10 different bikes from different shops in your price range. You'll get a feeling for what is better and will work best for you.

Everything else will sort itself out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone know best used bike under $1000? I mean one of the was the fluid but right now I'm just searching rockshox in craigslist so I get the bikes with roxkshox only. But anyone has anyother ideas?

I'd rather be on my bike
    The term "best" is extremely broad in this sense. The best bike for me is one that fits my body, my riding style, and my budget. See post #48 above.
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast