mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Bern Brentwood...

Just got my Bern Brentwood this morning and after looking at it Im torn between returning it or keeping it. Yes its definitely less dorky than most bike helmets but it seems to have some flaws. First dont most bike helmets have a good deal of padding between the hard shell and your head? The Bern's liner is(if youre generous) 1/4 of a inch or shall I say 2 maybe 3 quarters thick? I mean actual quarters stacked up. Then there is the removable visor which can only be removed if you take off the whole rim lining which leaves the hard velcro against your bare skin. The attachments for the chin strap seem to be removable though Ive only gotten one off and not willing to force the others for now. All the areas for the chin strap attaching to the helmet the plastic looks the same. The outside of the helmet looks just like the pics though the inside the cuts are kind of rough and jagged in some places. I like it in general just considering its about twice the price I was looking at for a giro or a bell I was expecting a bit better workmanship.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bern Brentwood...-100_0469.jpg  

Bern Brentwood...-100_0470.jpg  

Bern Brentwood...-100_0471.jpg  

Bern Brentwood...-100_0473.jpg  

Bern Brentwood...-100_0474.jpg  

Bern Brentwood...-100_0484.jpg  

Bern Brentwood...-100_0475.jpg  

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Wow, you have a big head. XXXL???
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

AZ
    banned
    That thing looks like it would be rather hot in the summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yep I have a big head and I hope its not assuming of course I keep the helmet. Its not so much the little scratches and all inside the helmet as I dont think they compromise the protection it has, its just so little actual padding any impact is going to be pretty much full force. I mean seriously I could cut up a pair of ankle socks and get more coverage than that padding and I think be about as effective. Anyone else out there with a Bern Brentwood?

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by gillotte View Post
    Yep I have a big head and I hope its not assuming of course I keep the helmet. Its not so much the little scratches and all inside the helmet as I dont think they compromise the protection it has, its just so little actual padding any impact is going to be pretty much full force. I mean seriously I could cut up a pair of ankle socks and get more coverage than that padding and I think be about as effective. Anyone else out there with a Bern Brentwood?
    Don't think for a second that padding is going to lessen the impact, no matter how thick it is inside the helmet. It's the shell that absorbs the blow(s).

The question is, is it comfy with those pads? If not, get a refund. You shouldn't have to jerry-rig the stuffing so it feels good and you know it.

Edit: There are tons of reviews out there. Just scan them to see if there are complaints about the padding. Google This is a mountain bike site. Not many of us are going to wear a helmet that hot.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 12-08-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Which is why Im wondering and asking if anyone else has a brentwood and if they find it hot or not?

ride the moment
    Well I have one that I specifically bought for winter riding in the PNW. I don't even need to wait until summer to tell you it's hotter than a vented XC helmet. Personally I think it's very comfortable, especially when compared to my slightly higher priced Giro. As for safety, the point of a helmet is to distribute impact instead of letting all the force act on a small area. Padding is for comfort and nothing more.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well decided Im gonna wear it and see what its like and if I dont like it back it goes.

Bro Mountainbiker
    looks kinda like a skate lid. I had mine for 15$ canadian. Return it! You know you want to.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    lol I kinda do but I figure Ill give it a shot first then if I dont like it return it and get the bell or giro.