Ohh Gnarly!!

Bent Saint spindles, already?

Got me a set of Shimano Saint pedals, and after 30 miles on a FS 26" and rigid SS 29", I've got bent spindles.

Previously, I'd been riding a set of Shimano DX's for about a year, they've held up great and haven't bent. I wanted another set so I wouldn't have to keep switching them between bikes, but decided to try the Saints instead. They feel great and I have no problems with them, and wouldn't mind another pair. The bend is hardly noticeable, I only feel it when I'm removing/installing them with an allen key while the pedal is in my hand. Will they continue to bend till it becomes a problem?

I'm around 200-215 and don't think I'm that hard on pedals. Is it how I ride? Or should I have done more research before buying?

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Description from the web page at Jenson:

Shimano MX80 Saint Pedals

Shimano Saint is the ultimate equipment line up for gravity enthusiasts and downhill racers. The third generation of Saint now includes its own signature flat pedals with new lower profile design. The strong axle stands up to the abuse of aggressive riding.

New lower profile design
    Market proven axle durability
    Replaceable pins available in two lengths
    Two tone finish

official eMpTyBRain
    Most definitely send them back for replacements. If they bend again, go after Shimano.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Are they Chinese copies?
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Are they Chinese copies?
    I got them from Jenson, so I can't imagine they'd be copies. They said I could return or exchange them, but I feel the replacements will do the same thing.
    All I need are some tasty trails, cool bike, and I'm fine.

Super Clyde
    I'd say exchange them and give them another chance, you may have just gotten a bad pedal. If it happens again return them and go to a different brand.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    I have great luck with Shimano stuff, guy at the LBS that does DH has horrible luck with them. I think I'd go with the exchange but show no mercy afterwards.

Plus, if you exchange, bend, and then have to take revenge, that will work out nicely.
    I hear Osaka has pretty nice weather in Sep/Oct...

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Both pedals are bent, so I have a hard time believing it was just a bad pair. The only thing I can think of that I did that might have caused this; I rode some chunk with my stiffer soled Tevas, which I can't really feel where I am on the pedals with, and may have been on the outside edges of the pedals. But these are supposed to be strong downhill pedals!!

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Trust me, you'll wish they had bent if you ever break one...

I'd give you good advice, but I just buy crappy pedals continuously and destroy them every three months or so--I'm no help.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Both pedals are bent, so I have a hard time believing it was just a bad pair. The only thing I can think of that I did that might have caused this; I rode some chunk with my stiffer soled Tevas, which I can't really feel where I am on the pedals with, and may have been on the outside edges of the pedals. But these are supposed to be strong downhill pedals!!
    Get the replacements, sell them as new, them get something else.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Front Range, Colorado
    Corn I think it's Time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Corn I think it's Time.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Thanks for all food for thought!

Hopefully the slight bend is just from "settling in" and won't get worse. I've bent a few BMX pedals, and every 1 piece crank I've ever ridden bitd. I'll see how long I have on the return and will keep an eye on them. If they do get to a point where it's a problem, I'll return them. I'll also look into replacements in the meantime.

*edit:
    I'll also look into replacements in the meantime.
    Replacements meaning a different brand. Are there any flat pedal threads here on mtbr?

Prime
    Actually, I think that you answered your own question in your original post. You switched the pedals between two very different type of bicycle. Once the Saints took a "set" to the 26" FS, they really shouldn't have been moved to a different bike, much less a 29" rigid SS. They probably are ruined, but one potential partial remedy would be to install them on a 650 hardtail with at least 140mm of travel and climb a couple of hills, you should know within 1/2 hr if they return to a serviceable condition. One other thing, you really didn't give us full information. Do you ride in lycra? What grips do you use? Is your saddle genuine leather? And do you ever sniff it after a long ride?? There are many seemingly irrelevant circumstances that can affect component performance, and these things are important to know to answer any questions, way more important than any actual equipment malfunction.

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Actually, I think that you answered your own question in your original post. You switched the pedals between two very different type of bicycle. Once the Saints took a "set" to the 26" FS, they really shouldn't have been moved to a different bike, much less a 29" rigid SS. They probably are ruined, but one potential partial remedy would be to install them on a 650 hardtail with at least 140mm of travel and climb a couple of hills, you should know within 1/2 hr if they return to a serviceable condition. One other thing, you really didn't give us full information. Do you ride in lycra? What grips do you use? Is your saddle genuine leather? And do you ever sniff it after a long ride?? There are many seemingly irrelevant circumstances that can affect component performance, and these things are important to know to answer any questions, way more important than any actual equipment malfunction.

Ride More, Whine Less

Did you read my mind? You forgot to ask if Corn factored in the weight of a concealed weapon. That's a weighty topic.

Corn, DJ is right it is time for a change...to CB candies 3 that is.

Prime
    Personally, I have Saints on 2 bikes, and access to some of the gnarliest terrain known to mtbers. My pedals have held up just fine. Then again, I never ride.

But, my saddle is leather, and on the occasion that I do ride, I sniff it.

Ride More, Whine Less

^ I've sat on one of those saddles fortunate it was pre tacos, but I did let a couple of farts rip while I was on the bike

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Corn, DJ is right it is time for a change...to CB candies 3 that is.
    NOOOOOOO!!! I'll never join you...

Personally, I have Saints on 2 bikes, and access to some of the gnarliest terrain known to mtbers. My pedals have held up just fine. Then again, I never ride.

But, my saddle is leather, and on the occasion that I do ride, I sniff it.
    I have seen this gnarly terrain you speak of, and watched in amazement as you blasted down chunky S. Mtn. gnar with ease on the very same pedals. I'll take a whiff of my saddle next time, just in case it helps.

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    ^ I've sat on one of those saddles fortunate it was pre tacos, but I did let a couple of farts rip while I was on the bike
    It's things like that that produce some of leather's most distinct and individual characteristics. You ought to see what I sometimes do to my Barmah kangaroo leather outback hat.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a pair of Saints I sold with my old bike. I liked them but didn't have enough time to form a real opinion.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I had a pair of Saints I sold with my old bike. I liked them but didn't have enough [/B] time to form a real opinion.
    Well give it some time and you will.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Front Range, Colorado
    And Corn Opti has a point about your saddle smell. This can really change the way your pedals perform or in this case don't perform. Give it a sniff and if it's a bit foul smelling it may be TIME to change it. I find that a nice brown leather really absorbs foul odors and hides any leakage from the anal cavity. It just blends right in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bent Saint spindles, already?-image.jpg  

----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I find that a nice brown leather really absorbs foul odors and hides any leakage from the anal cavity. It just blends right in.
    Perfect for that occasional otb feeling.

Front Range, Colorado
    Perfect for that occasional otb feeling.
    Without worry of odor or spotting.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)