mtbr member

Bell Sweep vs. Giro Athlon

I'm looking for a new helmet and i've had my eyes on these two for a while but can't decide which to get. They are about the same price.

I've not been able to find some where to try these two believe it or not - i've seen the Sweep in large and small, but not medium, and i haven't seen an Athlon, guessing cause it's fairly new and Australia is always behind. Anyways, i would appreciate hearing any experience anyone has had with either of these helmets.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would go for the sweep if the price is the same.The athlon is a mid level roady helmet with a visor. the sweep is a upper level mtb/road helmet. I just got a bell sequence and like it much better than my old giro animas. Fit is what matters most. I wanted a Fox flux, but it just didn't fit as good as the sequence did.
    Last edited by Flboy; 03-28-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    I'm looking for a new helmet and i've had my eyes on these two for a while but can't decide which to get. They are about the same price.

I've not been able to find some where to try these two believe it or not - i've seen the Sweep in large and small, but not medium, and i haven't seen an Athlon, guessing cause it's fairly new and Australia is always behind. Anyways, i would appreciate hearing any experience anyone has had with either of these helmets.

Thanks.
    Get the one, and only the one, that fits your head.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Yes,fit is the most important thing.For some reason the bell influx fits my head the best.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Fit is best. For me it was the MET Inferno
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    I did some searching around for shops today, and i managed to find a couple shops that displayed these helmets. I tried them both and they both feel pretty comfy to me. If anything, i like the back adjustment of the Bell more. Still can't decide which one to get though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If they both felt the same and you liked the Bell adjustment more go for the Bell. I have a Bell Volt and no complaints on it.

MTB B'dos
    As Shiggy said, you have to try them on to be sure, if not the spcific helmets then one from each brand as they have different shapes. I find that the GIROs are more circular in shape, while the BELLs are more oval. Bells fit me, Giros don't.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Get the one, and only the one, that fits your head.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I did some searching around for shops today, and i managed to find a couple shops that displayed these helmets. I tried them both and they both feel pretty comfy to me. If anything, i like the back adjustment of the Bell more. Still can't decide which one to get though.
    I didn't think too much abotu the rear adjustment when I got a new helmet. I was happy with the Giro roclok, but I have to say I like the bell TAG system better. Very easy one handed adjustments while riding.

I you have to use the headclamp to make the helmet stay on or be comfortable, it does not fit.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I don't know if the sweep is any different than the Sweep R, but I bought the Sweep R from a bike shop near me on sale for $60. It's been great. It fits well and had awesome ventilation. And it just looks cool

mtbr member
    I you have to use the headclamp to make the helmet stay on or be comfortable, it does not fit.
    I don't get it. That's almost like saying, if you have to adjust your seat post, your bike does not fit... I haven't seen a modern mountain bike helmet that doesn't have this adjustment at the back. And having that there makes it fit better and feel more comfortable, regardless of whatever helmet i try on.

I don't get it. That's almost like saying, if you have to adjust your seat post, your bike does not fit... I haven't seen a modern mountain bike helmet that doesn't have this adjustment at the back. And having that there makes it fit better and feel more comfortable, regardless of whatever helmet i try on.
    No. It means that if the head clamp is required the basic helmet shape does not fit your head. I have seen people use the clamp to hold a WAY too big shell on their head. The huge gaps between the skull and helmet shell/foam greatly reduces the impact protection.

The more proper seat post analogy would be over tightening your seat post clamp to try to keep a too-small post from slipping. If you used the proper size post, it would not slip with minimal stress on the clamp.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    No. It means that if the head clamp is required the basic helmet shape does not fit your head. I have seen people use the clamp to hold a WAY too big shell on their head. The huge gaps between the skull and helmet shell/foam greatly reduces the impact protection.

The more proper seat post analogy would be over tightening your seat post clamp to try to keep a too-small post from slipping. If you used the proper size post, it would not slip with minimal stress on the clamp.
    I see what you mean now. Both the helmets i tried fit the shape of my head pretty well. The back clamp is more or less the final adjustment to finish off a snug fit.

mtbr member
    Get the one that looks cool and fits your bucket better, Bell manufactures Giro btw.

mtbr member
    I have an Athlon and have been perfectly happy with it. Keeps my nogging cool, fits well and works with my sunglasses awesome. I tried on a Bell when i was shopping for a new lid but the Athlon fit way better for me.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher