mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bear spray on bike or on pack?

Do you carry your bear spray in a water botter holder on the bike or on your pack? Any clever way of attaching it to a pack? Seems to me most methods of pack attachment don't allow quick access to the spray. My thought was to insert the can into the bottom half of a plastic water bottle and leave it on the bike.

BC has the second largest population of black and grizzlies in the world after Alaska, so spray is good for peace of mind at the very least.

they make those neoprene camera cases that velcro to the front (shoulder) strap on packs.

should be able to find one that's the right size to fit bear spray. semi-out-of-the-way, but still easy access.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My buddy had a neat idea. Took old water bottle, cut the top off, slid in bear spray and sprayed expanding foam inside the water bottle to keep the bear spray attached to the bottle.

If its on your pack it will be hard to access in an emergency.

mtbr member
    bear spray doesn't work, it just makes em mad

ride downhill, even if you have to leave the trail, it takes them a ton of energy to keep their mass under control going down

if you're riding with others, you don't have to go faster than the bear, just the other bikers

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very clever -- I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by yanos
    My buddy had a neat idea. Took old water bottle, cut the top off, slid in bear spray and sprayed expanding foam inside the water bottle to keep the bear spray attached to the bottle.

If its on your pack it will be hard to access in an emergency.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Your plan of out-riding other riders is generally a good approach, except when the other riders are your kids as in my case

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbiker
    bear spray doesn't work, it just makes em mad

ride downhill, even if you have to leave the trail, it takes them a ton of energy to keep their mass under control going down

if you're riding with others, you don't have to go faster than the bear, just the other bikers

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey I was surfing around and I came across a bike specific mount for bear spray if anyone is interested (scroll down)

I'm going to try the water bottle / spray foam method first to see how that works though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think I'd be looking for a case to velcro or otherwise strap it to the shoulder strap on my pack. If I'm off the bike taking photos, the spray does me no good strapped to my handlebars.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I've seen bear spray that comes with a nifty velco carry case that attaches to your top tube. I'm not sure what brand it was, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

nobody
    I gotta think if you need to carry bear spray you should make it as easy to access as possible. The suggestions above are good. I say put one can on the bike, strap one to your shoulder strap and maybe carry a third on your hip....riding where you do, can you really carry too much?

On this subject I saw bear spray in a sporting goods store a while back and I couldn't figure out why there was a small can and a LARGE can offered. Who buys the small can? People who only run into small bears on the trail?

Buy the big can and stay safe!
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    they should have a fogger system to mount to your pack with a remote activation. so when bombing down the hill with the bear behind you, you can activate it if the downhill turns to uphill.

mtbr member
    you'd have to be going pretty slow for it to matter, and surprise one that just happens to be on the trail ahead of you, that just happens to have a cub or something

if you're that worried, tie a little bell to your handlebars so they can hear you coming and run off, prolly weighs a whole lot less then a big can of spray

if you want to carry a can of something, an air-horn would probably be pretty effective

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just wanted to follow-up. After experimenting, the best method is to buy the big can of spray, wrap it in hockey tape and it stays put in a water bottle carrier. Easy to access, won't bounce out.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc
    Your plan of out-riding other riders is generally a good approach, except when the other riders are your kids as in my case
    Yeah, no need to risk injury trying to out-ride them, just tell them to go pet the nice teddy.

Ride Instigator
    No, no, NO! You don't spray it on your bike or pack like some kind of bear repellant...you spray it ON THE BEAR .

Fat guy on a bike
    Mount it on your handlebar so the nozzle is facing forward and you can reach it easily. This way if the bear is on the trail, you can just start spraying and never slow down. Works on hikers and equestrians also.

mtbr member
    My can came with a fabric holster sleeve. The sleeve has two loops sewn into it, one at the top and one at the bottom. I thread the sternum strap of my pack through the upper loop then use a velcro strap to tie the lower loop to my shoulder strap. That keeps the can stable and near my chest - which is the ONLY place you'll be able to access the spray if you need to unexpectedly assume the fetal position.