mtbr member
    Jun 2013

BB7's w/ Hope Floaters

Is any on running Hope floating disc with BB7's? I am looking at doing this and wondering if any one else is and what kind results you are having?

Pro Crastinator
    brakes are brakes. rotors are rotors. brakes + rotors = stopping...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    brakes are brakes. rotors are rotors. brakes + rotors = stopping...
    Actually, Googled around on this a while ago and found lots of reports of the caliper fouling on the floating rivets. Depends on make of calipers and rotors.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Actually, Googled around on this a while ago and found lots of reports of the caliper fouling on the floating rivets. Depends on make of calipers and rotors.
    if you are suffering this issue, you need to come to terms with the fact that you are clueless about how to set up brakes. if your caliper is so far down that it actually touches the rivets, you're doing it wrong...

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    if you are suffering this issue, you need to come to terms with the fact that you are clueless about how to set up brakes. if your caliper is so far down that it actually touches the rivets, you're doing it wrong...
    The pads on BB7s insert upward into the caliper, and there are small tabs on the lower edge of the pad to facilitate installation and removal. I could imagine that those tabs would snag on the rivets on Hope floating pads. Next time, do your research before being a d!ck.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

BB7's w/ Hope Floaters

It is possible for the rotor's braking track to be narrower than the pads, and you do not want the pads hanging off the outer edge of the rotor*. Set the caliper lower enough on the rotor and there may be interference with the rivets or center carrier.

That said, I have used Hope floating rotors with BB7s on one bike. Rotor width is fine. I may have removed the tabs on the pads for clearance.
    No performance difference from stock G2 Cleansweep rotors.

* Been there. As the pads wear a lip forms that lets the pads contact each other before generating much, if any, braking force.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Elitest thrill junkie
    The rotors are "pinned". There used to be floating calipers back in the day (magura), which would allow the caliper to float left and right, so that if the disk became warped, the wheel (rotor) would still turn relatively easily in the brake.

We have pinned rotors on carriers these days because they allow the outside braking track to heat up and expand, whilst not causing the entire rotor to warp-back on itself as it tries to stretch due to that heat (a problem when it's bolted to a hub, if it were a piece of metal just in space heating up it'd be no problem and would be free to expand).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    The pads on BB7s insert upward into the caliper, and there are small tabs on the lower edge of the pad to facilitate installation and removal
    much like many other brakes that also are able to run on the hope rotors without a problem. there is also nothing on the outside of the brake caliper where the tab is located to prevent a slight bend in the tab to steer well clear of any potential rubbing issues. besides, if the tabs do contact the rivets, it's because there is no braking surface left. sh!t isn't rocket science, Bro...

much like many other brakes that also are able to run on the hope rotors without a problem. there is also nothing on the outside of the brake caliper where the tab is located to prevent a slight bend in the tab to steer well clear of any potential rubbing issues. besides, if the tabs do contact the rivets, it's because there is no braking surface left. sh!t isn't rocket science, Bro...
    you still don't have to be a d0uchebag about it.

I use Shimano rotors with BB7's on one of my bikes. Shimano rotors have a narrower braking track. As the pads wear, I get the very lip that Shiggy describes. It's a PITA, but I manage it. I can move my rear caliper around a little to account for the uneven wear, but mostly I have to replace my pads a little more often.

Damn Avid centerlock rotors are a lot more expensive than Shimano's. so much so that it's worth a few extra premature pad replacements. but it doesn't mean I have to be an a$$ when describing how to manage potential problems with the combination.

Pro Crastinator
    wow. a bunch of sensitive people in here. when i say "you" i mean the collective version, not any specific person. but whatever, if you are offended by what i say, you needed to be offended to help toughen you up...

Fat & Single
    I use hope brakes and floating rotors on all bikes but recently built a drop bar 29er with BB7's, I tossed the avid rotors and put 2 x 160mm ashima rotors on at 66g each, they work a dream on the bike.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for input everyone! Still have not made the upgrade yet. saving up the $'s.

Professional Crastinator
    A buddy has this set-up. He has to adjust the inner pads more frequently to keep the pads flat on the rotor because the Hope floating rotors are much less flexible than the one-piece.

And yes, he did run into the rivets because if you don't keep the inner pad running close to the rotor, the rotor gets pushed to the side and the rivets hit the caliper. Sounds like too much work to me.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

BB7's w/ Hope Floaters

Quote Originally Posted by jsc3582 View Post
    Thanks for input everyone! Still have not made the upgrade yet. saving up the $'s.
    IME there are better things to spend your money on. I do have a pair of the Hope rotors, and I bought them only because of the looks. No difference in performance compared to stock G2 Cleansweep rotors.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common