Barefoot Riding?

mtbr member
    We need some vibram five fingers cycling shoes.
    :wq

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneescar

Riding a bike is not natural. Walking upright barely is. Insisting that there is a more 'natural' way of doing either is kinda silly. I own a pair of Vibram Five Fingers, and enjoy them, but running, hiking and riding shoes enable to me to go further, faster. Is it really running barefoot that causes less injury, or is it the fact that nearly all people run more slowly and carefully when running barefoot?

BMX:Our Shining Future

It sure feels good

Riding barefoot the big issue is pedals. First you can unscrew the pins out of one side of higher end platform pedals, then when you are barefoot you spin the pedal so you can ride it. Also you can wind platform pedals with string, hemp cord, leather lacing etc. around and around ending up with a nice sweat absorbing comfortable, ummmm, place to put your foot. I'm waiting for some gear nut to start selling wooden pedals that fit under your whole entire foot. I am posting too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barefoot Riding?-4a7d605e7b080.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have to agree with Sean. Cycling is not a natural movement. Also, unlike running and walking, cycling is not an impact sport (except for the crashing).

seriously?

no way in hell I'm going to ride a mtb without shoes. plain and simple.

say a hike-a-bike like I ended up doing a week ago that had me dealing with all sorts of brambles and crap.

I hear about how awful goatheads are for tires. Damn, I'd hate to step on one.

I'd need a chain guard around my chainrings so my feet doing get shredded by my chainrings in a crash.

This dude is a moron.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The guy is way off base. None of the injuries he's talking about have anything to do with clipless pedals. His suggestion to stand up more has a simple solution - get a single speed. Since pedaling barefoot would be completely stupid, he recommends platform pedals and 5.10 shoes. Switching from clipless to platforms will not lessen the number of "over-use injuries" that he is concerned with. The only possible benefit that I can see is if you have knee alignment issues and you can't get enough float from clipless pedals. If that is the case, you will probably also have issues with your feet or heels striking parts of your bike as you pedal.

This guy is probably going to write an article about the benefits of barefoot skiing next.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sounds like someone just discovered the reason hippies (and I guess anyone who values being comfortable on their feet all day) like Birkenstocks so much.....

As for barefoot riding? Nope, ain't gonna do it. Except on a beach cruiser at the boardwalk perhaps.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Walking and riding are two completely different things. Riding is unnatural to begin with. Nothing in that article (which is nothing more than someone thinking out loud with no evidence whatsoever to support his theory) is really even worth wasting your time reading, IMO.

mtbr member
    "no way in hell I'm going to ride a mtb without shoes."

"This dude is moron"

"As for barefoot riding? Nope, ain't gonna do it"
    If you read the whole article, what he means by "barefoot riding" is platforms, with a shoe with minimal arch support (ie: 5.10s). ie: not clipless.

There's nothing wrong with platforms, and they are highly under rated in cycling, anything that promotes them more is fine with me. In that sense, I have to agree with the author.

FYI: I ride both Clipless and Platforms, but mostly clipless.

mtbr member
    F**kin' Magnets - How Do They Work?

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    F**kin' Magnets - How Do They Work?

That's gotto be some Crazy A$$ strong magnet to hold my foot in place.........
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

El Pollo Diablo
    Simply by looking at the skate shoes I do 95% of my riding in, I can say with good confidence that riding barefoot is a terrible idea.
    Scrapes, cuts, gouges, scuffs...
    Even the idea of casual riding in sandals... not so hot
    (insert story of my mom almost losing some toes to a barefoot cycling accident as a child here)
    In past spring and summer quarters, I've thrown a pair of flim-flams in my backpack when riding to campus, done and done

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    We need some vibram five fingers cycling shoes.
    yes , but add magnets too the bottoms like the guy below, they make some pretty strong magnets nowadays
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The advantage of the Vibram Five Finger is that you are able to strengthen all of your toes individually, rather than having that support under all of them be distributed. This would do nothing in cycling because your toes have no weight on them to begin with. If you are worried about "too much support" you could cycle in wrestling shoes i suppose, they are flat and have no support.

Either way this thread is rediculous.
    -elake

"I don't half-a$$ anything, for me it's whole-a$$ or nothing."
    -elake

mtbr member
    I get that barefoot feeling when wearing my spd sandals, great for the commute on the road, not so great on the trails where there is great potential to mash toes on rocks and roots.

local trails rider
    I enjoy barefoot walking, when conditions are favorable

When my late uncle was young, he managed to get his toes in the spokes... 'nuff for me

re member
    While I don't know if I agree with the dude, as itsdoable pointed out, no where in his article does he say anything about riding with no shoes on.

He picked a misleading title for the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah - the article is about the benefits of riding with platform style pedals and s style of riding - It's not about riding barefoot.

The article makes some interesting points. Part of my riding is cross training for soccer. I find riding on regular platform pedals, and by standing up more does seem to help better strengthen the feet, calves, works on balance muscles etc and seems to be better for the demands of field sports. I like the workout that platform pedals give. I also don't care for that clipped in feel as much when doing riding just for general fitness and enjoyment, vs. riding to be the fastest on a bicycle I can be, in which case I would opt for being clipped in..

mtbr member
    You made my toes curl! But not in a good way.

~Disc~Golf~
    "...thousands and thousands of RPMs. Your body was not made for this..."
    NO SHlT!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

BMX:Our Shining Future

Either way this thread is ridiculous

Well I went back and actually read the blurb. And with point two I heartily agree. Stand Up Riding really is more fun and better exercise. It's particularly effective and pleasurable in rough, difficult terrain. It's a full body workout that's for sure. My most recent bike build is specifically for riding standing up in rough terrain. The damn thing really works. Once again those BMX doods are on to something good. Stand Up Riding really shows in their physiques. Those punks are RIPPED. It's hard to ride standing up with low bars and long stems. Gotta get those bars back and up. Then stand up riding becomes a real pleasure. Kneescar, you're a real stand up guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barefoot Riding?-p1000539.jpg  

mtbr member
    How about sugically implanting a cleat into the bottom of each foot?
    Signature

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    How about sugically implanting a cleat into the bottom of each foot?

Your foot isn't stiff enough to support your weight on a little cleat/clipless pedal for long periods of time.

Obviously, the solution is to have your feet amputated since they cause such annoying problems, then replace with carbon fiber fins to which you could bolt cleats no problem!