mtbr member

Bar and Chain Oil Question

Thinking of mixing some bar and chain oil for wet conditions that may appear in an upcoming race.

Those of you that use this as chain lube...do you cut it with anything, or use it as is? Any issues with it penetrating into the rollers quickly?

Any help is appreciated!

JDM
    mtbr member
    I use it straight sometimes and it does not penetrate quickly.

I take the chain off the bike, apply a healthy dose, let it sit over night then wipe off as much as possible in the morning.

It is a little messy, but lubricates well and holds up nicely in tough conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I use it straight sometimes and it does not penetrate quickly.

I take the chain off the bike, apply a healthy dose, let it sit over night then wipe off as much as possible in the morning.

It is a little messy, but lubricates well and holds up nicely in tough conditions.
    Any advice on maybe cutting it then? I would be using during a race and would need it to work relatively quickly....

mtbr member
    Bar oil is basically 30w with added clinging agents. I have run it straight and also mixed with 75/90w, and it did make it thicker, but can't say it help at all if any.
    Good luck on your race
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Bar oil is basically 30w with added clinging agents. I have run it straight and also mixed with 75/90w, and it did make it thicker, but can't say it help at all if any.
    Good luck on your race
    To clarify...I usually use Rock and Roll Extreme. During really wet/muddy rides, I am experiencing chain suck.

The upcoming race has a chance of rain and I don't want to run into a chain suck scenario. I have read that bar and chain oil works WELL for wet riding. I plan on taking some with me and applying in DURING the race only if needed.

So...maybe mix it with some 10 or 20w motor oil to thin it out to help quicker penetration during the race?

mtbr member
    Bar and chain oil is for chainsaws. Rock and roll extreme is a cycle specific lube that I have never used, wouldn't waste money on, and have no idea what weight it is. According to quick google search, it has agents that evap and turn the lube into a gel. If the chain is at all dirty, I can't see that being good.
    Fwiw, 30w would be considered too light by most.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Bar and chain oil is for chainsaws. Rock and roll extreme is a cycle specific lube that I have never used, wouldn't waste money on, and have no idea what weight it is. According to quick google search, it has agents that evap and turn the lube into a gel. If the chain is at all dirty, I can't see that being good.
    Fwiw, 30w would be considered too light by most.
    What would you recommend?

mtbr member
    You'd think there would be an easy and clear choice, there's not. The only things I can say with certainty is that if you ride dry and dusty use a wax in stead, and if you use anything heavy enough to hang on long enough till your next cleaning and re-lube you're good.
    My fav lbs has been using bar oil / trans fluid / gear oil mix and so am I.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    You'd think there would be an easy and clear choice, there's not. The only things I can say with certainty is that if you ride dry and dusty use a wax in stead, and if you use anything heavy enough to hang on long enough till your next cleaning and re-lube you're good.
    My fav lbs has been using bar oil / trans fluid / gear oil mix and so am I.
    Would you share the ratios?

mtbr member
    As explained by my lbs, equal parts.
    Also, the advantages of synthetic are just not realized on a bike chain, but also couldn't hurt, so I'd either mix all synthetic, or all Dino for the sake of keeping the blend mixed.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    As explained by my lbs, equal parts.
    Also, the advantages of synthetic are just not realized on a bike chain, but also couldn't hurt, so I'd either mix all synthetic, or all Dino for the sake of keeping the blend mixed.
    Thanks! I am going to try this combo!

mtbr member
    I'm no racer, but I've had good luck with bar and chain oil cut 1:1 with mineral spirits. I try to apply at least the night before, one drop per link. The next day I'll wipe the chain down really well. Using the mineral spirits thins the oil out so it can get into the rollers, but then I think some of it evaporates back out, leaving you with a thicker oil right where you want it. Works for me anyway. No doubt others have their own home brew recipes and reasons to the way they mix it.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    Thanks! I am going to try this combo!
    You're welcome,
    and fwiw don't think you should need to re-lube during the race, and if that gel funk makes it so, take/soak it off.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've used bar and chain oil with good results- straight from the bottle, and also mixed 2:1 with rubbing alcohol. Both worked great. I used the alcohol because thats all I had around. I have also used some left over 20W compressor oil, which works fine a well. The main thing is to lube the chain the night before, let it sit over night, then wipe off excess lube in the AM.

Plays with tools
    Dumonde liquid grease is awesome in super wet conditions. If you know you'll be racing in the rain a light coat of grease smeared in will definitely do the trick.