mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Balls of Kryptonite

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    brain of nonexistium...
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

Keep pedaling
    Amazing and scary.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    brain of nonexistium...

/\ That.

mtbr member
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Incredible pic.

IMO, it's all in your persective as to whether something is crazy, insane, or simply a calculated risk. Reminds me of being out riding on trails that I'd consider intermediate technically at best and coming across hikers who will say something like "I can't believe you really ride down this ... seems to rocky [or steep, or whatever]." We've probably all had that experience from time to time -- I've received similar comments when biking, surfing, even weight lifting (I had an old guy at the gym approach me about a year ago as I was putting weight on the bench -- it was 'only' 225, an amount I've been comfortably lifting since I was 17 yrs old -- and ask if I knew how much weight that was and that I was 'crazy' to do it without a spotter or 2, he left shaking his head like I was a lunatic). What I'm doing isn't something that most within the sport would even think twice about doing, but to someone that isn't involved in the sport, it seems insane, impossible. And it isn't like I'm crazy good at any of my sports -- I'd consider myself advanced intermediate at best, and do nothing like the kayaker in that pic, that's for sure.

To those who are comfortable doing it, you know you have the skill and experience to eliminate much of the risk. Sure, there are still mishaps, and we accept that possibility, but it doesn't seem as crazy to us as it might to someone else. Of course, the bigger you go, the larger the margin of unpredictability and the more narrow the margin of error becomes.
    Last edited by Tystevens; 05-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Incredible pic.

IMO, it's all in your persective as to whether something is crazy, insane, or simply a calculated risk. Reminds me of being out riding on trails that I'd consider intermediate technically at best and coming across hikers who will say something like "I can't believe you really ride down this ... seems to rocky [or steep, or whatever]." We've probably all had that experience from time to time -- I've received similar comments when biking, surfing, even weight lifting (I had an old guy at the gym approach me about a year ago as I was putting weight on the bench -- it was 'only' 225, an amount I've been comfortably lifting since I was 17 yrs old -- and ask if I knew how much weight that was and that I was 'crazy' to do it without a spotter or 2, he left shaking his head like I was a lunatic). What I'm doing isn't something that most within the sport would even think twice about doing, but to someone that isn't involved in the sport, it seems insane, impossible. And it isn't like I'm crazy good at any of my sports -- I'd consider myself advanced intermediate at best, and do nothing like the kayaker in that pic, that's for sure.

To those who are comfortable doing it, you know you have the skill and experience to eliminate much of the risk. Sure, there are still mishaps, and we accept that possibility, but it doesn't seem as crazy to us as it might to someone else. Of course, the bigger you go, the larger the margin of unpredictability and the narrow the margin of error becomes.

Exactly!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Calculated risks make life worth living. Now, I wouldn't take that one... But I'm happy for the guy who did, if he is. That looks amazing...