Thread: Balaclava

Intermediate wannabe

Balaclava

Winter is here........ Who wears a balaclava? Which is the best one?

I ain't gonna let the cold hold me back this winter...
    "You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ~KRob

mtbr member
    Mmmm balaclava....

mtbr member
    Balaclavas are pretty generic items. Just find one that fits well (and fits under your helmet) and isn't heavier than you want for riding.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

bi-winning
    I have one. It is not the best, but it's ok. It's basically a fleece tube scarf, with a thinner material used for the upper half, hence it fits under my helmet nicely, and still breathes a bit. I got it at Canadian Tire.

Balaclavas can be purchased from many places. Don't just consider those made by cycling clothing companies.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I use a Louis Garneau balaclava when it is too cold for a simple headsweats. I figure Canadians know what they are doing with cold weather gear...
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Craft Pro Windstopper balaclava...more often than not it will be the wind that's going to freeze your face so Goretex Windstopper is key. However if it's chillier out(as in below -15C) you'll need an insulating fleece balaclava underneath. Any generic fleece one will work.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    depends on conditions but usually I prefer the silk ones like Thermasilk
    they are thin, warm and breath well.
    if its real cold (<10 degrees) Ill use a synthetic one , they're warmer but dont breath as well, some will restrict your breathing if you have it over your mouth and nose

spec4life???..smh...
    this is my first year venturing out on the trails during the winter months...and so far i cant beleive that i havnt ever done this before...as long as you dress properly its not a problem...i read an article here on time that said there is no bad days to ride just bad clothing choices...

anyway being a poor college kid i just went to [SIZE="1"]walmart[/SIZE] (sorry guys) and got a fleece one for three bucks..works great breaths well keeps my throat from bleeding and keeps my face warm...

mtbr member
    I own 3 of these & you cannot beat them IMO

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=TUC_09-0924

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Love these. Wind stopper in front, open in back so you can sweat and it'll go somwehere, the separate face cover gizmo is the ticket too, flip up when needed, out of the way when not....

http://www.cannondale.com/a_a/clothi...del-8h401.html
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Intermediate wannabe
    wow, thanks for all the responses..........so many good choices
    "You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding." ~KRob

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I snowboard and mtn bike. The balaclava I use is from REI....but I forget if it's the REI brand or something from Seirus or the like. Anyways, breathability is HUGE. Don't get anything too thick IMO. LIke fleece is a definitely no no....even a micro fleece. Mine is almost sheer actually. You will be amazed at how little material will keep your face warm. I don't think it's some special type of fabric either.....you just don't need a lot to keep your face warm. Kinda counter intuitive actually. All I know is if I can use it boarding and it keeps my face completely warm and dry, then it will be warm enough for biking and allows the breathability you need when you're grunting up those hills.

mtbr member
    http://www.glenterprises.biz/products.php
    Scroll down to Spray socks - part number 1600P

This is "outside the box" type of thing. You can go to your Auto Body Supply store in your area and get a box of these for not much money (I sell them for $2-3 each). They are thin and fit under your helmet with no issue. It can cover the lips and nose too.

It really depends on how cold it is. I used them recently and it kept me warm and broke the wind enough without being uncomfortable and causing the helmet to feel "off."

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Twenty Times
    http://www.glenterprises.biz/products.php
    Scroll down to Spray socks - part number 1600P

This is "outside the box" type of thing. You can go to your Auto Body Supply store in your area and get a box of these for not much money (I sell them for $2-3 each). They are thin and fit under your helmet with no issue. It can cover the lips and nose too.

It really depends on how cold it is. I used them recently and it kept me warm and broke the wind enough without being uncomfortable and causing the helmet to feel "off."
    cotton

Tool
    I used them recently and it kept me warm and broke the wind..."
    As in little puffs of warm air?

Cotton isn't allowed anywhere on my body when I ride, but for people who don't perspire much, these might be a good cheap solution on rides where they just need to take the edge off a bit.

I'm all in favor or alternative solutions. One of my favorites is using $10 safety glasses from Home Depot instead of cycling specifc shelds:

Cheap Eye Protection

Back to balaclavas - I bought mine for about $20 on sale via Performance. It's very lightweight (thin enough that I don't need to adjust my helmet) and seems to do what I need it to do. I can add a headband when my ears need more protection, and because it's so thin it's really easy to stow when I need to layer it off. As others have pointed out, however, there isn't any need to buy a cyccling-specific one - if you're not careful, that is usually a recipe for spending more than you need.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Intermediate wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile

Cotton isn't allowed anywhere on my body when I ride, but for people who don't perspire much, these might be a good cheap solution on rides where they just need to take the edge off a bit.

I'm all in favor or alternative solutions. One of my favorites is using $10 safety glasses from Home Depot instead of cycling specifc shelds:

Cheap Eye Protection

Back to balaclavas - I bought mine for about $20 on sale via Performance. It's very lightweight (thin enough that I don't need to adjust my helmet) and seems to do what I need it to do. I can add a headband when my ears need more protection, and because it's so thin it's really easy to stow when I need to layer it off. As others have pointed out, however, there isn't any need to buy a cyccling-specific one - if you're not careful, that is usually a recipe for spending more than you need.

-Pete
    I have 2 pairs of those home depot glasses (tinted and clear). I'm heading over to Sports Authority. They have thin poly balaclavas for under 20 and goretex windstopper for about 35.

mtbr member
    This would:

* keep your face and neck warm
    * ensure that you had the right-of-way on any multi-use trail

-- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile

Cheap Eye Protection

-Pete
    Temps were cold enough to warrant something over the ears (high 30s - low 40's) without a brisk wind - just from riding. Worked well.

I only buy clear frames from Home Depot. Tinted sun glasses... that is another story.

Tool
    Temps were cold enough to warrant something over the ears (high 30s - low 40's) without a brisk wind - just from riding.
    Ah - perhaps too vague of a joke on my part.

Breaking wind = farting. Given this, perhaps the 'puffs of warm air' reference will make sense...

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.