mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Is it bad for a full suspension bike to not be rode

The title pretty much describes the question. My wife has a new 2018 fuel ex 8 I got her. We are trying for a baby, so if all works out the bike won’t be used for awhile. I’m very comfortable servicing it as I have the make version and have had it completely disassembled.

Wondering if if I need to get hers out occasionally and at the least ride it around the block to let the internals move able allowing them to remain oiled.

also it stays in the garage of source. I ride my bikes every other day, sometimes everyday. So it wouldn’t be that big of a deal for me to get it out if need be.

mtbr member
    depends on climate. In Arizona a 95- 100 deg garage with normal dryness can play havoc on rubber seals. Therefore a little action helps keep them moving and reduces the tendency to dry out and get hard. On the other hand corrosion is non issue. Of course where you are could be be very different.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    It certainly won't hurt to cycle the suspension every couple of weeks.
    It's not hate, more like disdain

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks guys, while I was writing out my original post I in my head kind of answered my own question. Also thought “hey it wouldn’t hurt getting it out either way”

since 4/10/2009
    The thing that kills "barn bikes" is everything drying out. Lube dries out. Anything soft/rubber dries out. Fluids settle. Etc.

So just give it occasional TLC and it'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If its tubeless then get the Stan's out of the tire or it will gunk up really bad. Either way once its ridden again the fork should have a service with fresh oil and resaturated foam rings, and the chain should be cleaned/lubed, these are things that should be done every season regardless of use.

mtbr member
    Honesty, unless you are expecting complications, she should still be able to ride. My wife rode with me really until she was 7 months. And she got back on the bike about 3 months after.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Yup, glanced right over the best part... starting a family!!!! Very best wishes for you.
    It's not hate, more like disdain

mtbr member
    Apparently to accomplish your goals, you need to ride your wife more often.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Indoors in a cool, dry place I'd say it's not a problem but out in the garage or even outside can have big impacts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Personally I'd keep it in a dry environment so nothing rusts and give it a once over servicing/lube before she starts up again.
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    I would just let it sit until the next time it's ridden. If there's any strange noises, ignore them. If the suspension doesn't seem smooth, assume it will straighten itself out. At a maximum I would inflate the tires and maybe put a little lube on the chain. But that's just me and I only work on my bikes unless they're barely moving. If they're not moving, I bring them to the shop. So I'd highly advise you to ignore my advice. (But good luck with the kid and get good high quality bike trailer!)

mtbr member
    my hardtail is 8 years old, i live in Cali, never had the fork serviced. sits in my hot ass garage all summer long seems fine so far, but i do ride it

congrats btw

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Apparently to accomplish your goals, you need to ride your wife more often.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Indoors in a cool, dry place I'd say it's not a problem but out in the garage or even outside can have big impacts.
    Definitely
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.