Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes
    if you make your berms 2 to 3 times larger and make your rollers not so peaky but more rounded the track will flow much better for you and you'll be able to carry much more speed.
    I completely agree!! I'm trying to go in that direction.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Look at you Seattle people all hopped up on coffee gettin' stuff done

mtbr member
    OK, here's a better video now that it's running faster:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=MVI_1751.mp4

And some photos of the new and improved track. Berms have been getting bigger!

Back at it
    That is so damn cool!
    Research | Build | Ride

mtbr member
    May 2009
    so awesome.

sh*t eater
    Jan 2004
    First off awesome job. My wife gave me the go ahead to do something similar in our backyard this summer so I'm starting to design my layout. I've got a 25'x75' rectangle along the back of our place to build in.

Now that you've finished yours for the most part if you did it over what things would you change? My biggest concern right now is drainage.

Thanks again for the great documentation!

Is it Friday yet?
    That is so freaking cool. You rock!

mtbr member
    Hey that is just great... Very envious of you to have made a pump track in your back yard! Sweet!

You have to get real low into the bike more and really push hard on the backside of all the various rollers etc...to get more speed and flow. It's great to have a couple of jumps in there too (which you kind of have already) because it helps improve jump ability long term.

Really nice track man, keep up the great work and the vids, thanks so much for sharing. It's motivated me to get my arse on the saddle for some more trail time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    Now that you've finished yours for the most part if you did it over what things would you change? My biggest concern right now is drainage.
    The main thing I would change is to make the berms bigger right from the start. Getting them to the height I want is going to take some work at this point. Drainage is a concern too, but not as much as I thought it would be. It seems like if you get the right dirt and pack it hard, the track can take a lot of rain, as last weekend proved. We got almost 2" of rain in 2 days, and I only waited an hour or two after it finally stopped raining and was able to ride the track no problem! Puddles do form in the low spots, but somehow they get absorbed pretty quickly and the track has stayed hard. It would be a good idea to make sure every surface on your track is sloped very slightly inward or outward though. It hardly takes any slope to keep puddles from forming. I'll probably be adding some slope in a couple of places.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I would change, except maybe to buy a house with a bigger yard! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow thats a awesome track. The town i live in had a company come in a build a killer pump track if you were ever looking at rebuilding yours i would highly reccomend them. I am probly going to hire them to come build one on our family farm this fall.

I Void Waranties
    I want to see what it looks like now
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I definitely wouldn't mind having that in my yard. Are those intrigued neighbors of yours into biking? You should charge people for using it (: you can run your own biking amusement park

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    Lawns are way overated and bad for the environment!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    any update on how this is shaping up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice track - how is it holding up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Living the dream!

Low Rep Count
    Man, I am so jealous! I am the main rider at the house though my twin daughters both have 24" mtbs and my wife has a 26 (basically all my XTR components from my old xc bike since I went SS). I have asked about a track on several occassions and she shot down the idea. Finally I managed to add in a little line at the back of our yard that simply has a couple of little rollers (basically, I just started riding it and dug out a little and piled dirt up making the rollers). One day I saw our daughters on it and then the wife came out and hopped on it on her bike. We were all stoked and having a blast. About two weeks later, we got a letter from the damn HOA stating that we did not have a permit for a track and that it was against HOA rules! Hell, it's not even a track, its just a straight line about 30' long with a couple of 18" rollers in it! And who the hell complained???? My neighborhood sucks! On a good note we do have a pump track but it is about 10 miles away from my house but about 500 yrds away from my daughters practice soccer field!!!

Keep riding and enjoy that bad boy!

On a side note, I got to go out to Seattle a few years ago for a conference. Great city! I missed the football game because I was sitting in Jimmy's (or Johnny's-can't remember the name for sure) Tattoo shop for about 5 hours getting a tattoo done! I would love to live out there! Funny, there are coffee shops on every corner like we have 7-11's out here on the east coast. No one drinks Starbucks out there either (which as guest visiting from MD, I found all too commical as folks out here survive off it).

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recent comments everyone! A couple of people have asked for an update, but there isn't too much new to report at the moment. Maintenance has continued to be very easy, I get the occasional weeds and grass trying to grow up through the track but I either pick them or spray them every 2-3 weeks (takes like 10 minutes for the whole track) and that keeps them under control. The track remains hard and concrete-like with no obvious signs of deterioration, though it does get dusty and slippery in the summer if I don't water it from time to time.

Next step: make the berms bigger and maybe introduce a slight slant to the inside all the way around the track to facilitate drainage and help reduce "flinging off into the fence" incidents. I hope to get to that sometime this winter.

1SPD, what a bummer about the HOA and nosy neighbors. I guess we are lucky. Our neighbors continue to think it's great and have been asking when we're having another pump track party for the neighborhood! At least more and more folks seem to have a pump track somewhere near their house that they can go play on, even if it's less convenient than having one right in your back yard.

And 1SPD, yep, most Seattle folks think Starbucks is crap! We have so many good coffee houses that roast their own and do it right. Glad you liked Seattle, we really like it here too. It's getting crowded though because everyone keeps moving here. I might have to move north to Bellingham someday. They have big lots up there, so I could put in a HUGE pump track!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow that is AWESOME! How much do you think it cost to make?

Forgive me for being new but is a 'pump' track one where you should be able to make it around without pedaling after you get some momentum?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is the kind of energy that drives our sport,passion! You ROCK!

mtbr member

So rad! I live in Bellingham and I just put a pumptrack in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle View Post
    Thanks for the recent comments everyone! A couple of people have asked for an update, but there isn't too much new to report at the moment. Maintenance has continued to be very easy, I get the occasional weeds and grass trying to grow up through the track but I either pick them or spray them every 2-3 weeks (takes like 10 minutes for the whole track) and that keeps them under control. The track remains hard and concrete-like with no obvious signs of deterioration, though it does get dusty and slippery in the summer if I don't water it from time to time.

Next step: make the berms bigger and maybe introduce a slight slant to the inside all the way around the track to facilitate drainage and help reduce "flinging off into the fence" incidents. I hope to get to that sometime this winter.

1SPD, what a bummer about the HOA and nosy neighbors. I guess we are lucky. Our neighbors continue to think it's great and have been asking when we're having another pump track party for the neighborhood! At least more and more folks seem to have a pump track somewhere near their house that they can go play on, even if it's less convenient than having one right in your back yard.

And 1SPD, yep, most Seattle folks think Starbucks is crap! We have so many good coffee houses that roast their own and do it right. Glad you liked Seattle, we really like it here too. It's getting crowded though because everyone keeps moving here. I might have to move north to Bellingham someday. They have big lots up there, so I could put in a HUGE pump track!!!
    Thanks for all the details and pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Love the project, need some pic of the track in use!

mtbr member
    I wish my parents would let me do this!!!!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    This is cool

humber river advocate
    awesome! great thread, just bought house with a backyard big enough for a pump track.... hmmmm!?
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast