mtbr member
    Even better pics!

"Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Nice work man!

Looks like a blast

FM
    luxatio erecta
    PM me your address- I live in maple leaf.
    Will bring beer

mtbr member
    Looks awesome for such a tight space. Did you get some extra drainage in there?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Looks Great!

Hey Seattle,

Subscribed

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Take care and Good Luck,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Awesomeness right at the backyard...

mtbr member
    It's rideable!!! The guys made big progress today and it's practically done! Here are some pics from test riding. Now it just needs to dry out and firm up over the next 5-7 days, then a final day of pimping and it's finished. It's looking awesome, I really like how it turned out!! I find it hard to get around it right now, but it's still pretty soft and should get easier as it firms up. I can't believe I have this in my back yard now when 2 weeks ago it was all grass!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Pretty cool! You should shoot some videos once it hardens up.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That looks great!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    this is a great use of space. really wish i'd done something similar. though, i think your side is wider than mine by a foot or two.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Definite props! And another bonus....no more MOWING!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thats awesome!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    That turned out cool !

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    And to turn it into a expert only pump track, plant poison ivy along it's side... ;-)

I Void Waranties
    Looks great. Now the real work starts to make sure it doesnt go poof in the wind. The hard part will be to keep it in good shape. Just a suggestion, but maybe add a launch ramp for more speed?
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    heck yeah! looking great Seattle!

mtbr member
    What an excellent use of space, looks great!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    great now i have to build one for my yard
    good job.
    Great photo's, for future reference there is no need to actually physically move a plate compactor they should move on their own via your guidence. if the compactor merely vibrates and quits moving simply clean the air filter and uusally that sovles the problem .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments. I've been riding the new pump track a little bit each day for the past few days, although I can't ride it much because it's still soft in a few places, especially the 180 degree berm at the skinny end. The soft spots rob your energy, making it hard to keep up momentum, plus riding on them creates grooves in the track that I then have to stomp down. However, I'm happy to see that it is slowly but surely drying, even though it has been rainy. I keep the whole thing tarped except when the sun comes out. I think it's going to be at least another week until the berm sets up firm.

The good news is I can now consistently do several laps in either direction without getting hung up. It's really fun and I can tell I'm going to love this thing! And as hard as it may be to believe, I already felt a difference in my trail riding when I did an XC ride over the weekend! I was looser and better able to use my body to put the bike where I wanted and conserve momentum. I was psyched to feel a difference already!

Drainage: still needs help. There is a drainage pipe running through the 180 berm and next to the step-down thing that turned into a table/double thing. Those aren't really doing anything. My biggest concern is how the track will hold up to rain. I could see the clay dirt soaking up a lot of water and being soft all winter... but I'm hoping that with time and lots of riding and some sun this summer, it will set up hard and concrete-like. We'll see.

Maintenance: Again, only time will tell how much attention will be needed here. I added some dirt to a couple of places yesterday and it seemed to bond well with the existing dirt, so I think ongoing dirt additions will be possible without too much effort. One of the builders told me I'll probably need to develop a little routine of sweeping it off and watering it before riding it each day. Hopefully the berms will hold up over time.

Poison ivy at the edges: LOL. There's already a fence, a house, concrete stairs, and numerous rakes and shovels littering the edges, so a certain level of skill is already called for! Of the 5 people who have ridden it, 4 of them have crashed so far.

Plate compactor: Interesting concept about how it is supposed to just travel along by itself. It seemed more like it wanted to travel DOWNWARD if it wasn't pulled along! Like it would dig itself a hole to China if left unattended! Regardless, it saved a ton of work.

Launch ramp: I wish we had room! But we really don't. It's OK though, once you get going you're good. I'll just think of the lack of a lanch ramp as a skill builder.

Still to come: a little bit more shaping work -- the berms could be taller, or at least extended along the edges so you can maintain a high line all the way through. And some of the rollers would be better if they were more like a sine wave. The guys are back for a few hours today, then maybe another half day next week. Then eventually we have to figure out what to do about landscaping, which will be a whole other project of sorts. I'll post more pics as it gets finished.

mtbr member
    For trails you will use road mix as it bonds together via clays and such better and will of course stay compact for far longer than regular dirt. For water grade your slope (left to right or what have you) at least 1 percent to allow water to run off.

mtbr member
    doublt post

mtbr member
    What does this road mix consist of? I'm guessing my mix is 50/50 clay/sand or 60/40 clay/sand, screened to 1/4" minus. How does this compare to road mix?

Back at it
    Very cool
    Research | Build | Ride

Its got what plants crave
    I'm jelly.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    road mix has some 3/4 or less in it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast