Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

backpack hydration vs waterbottle and seatpack

so who uses what? or does it all depend on the ride?

mtbr member

Re: backpack hydration vs waterbottle and seatpack

On the Road bike I use bottles (2)
    Mountain bike a Camelbak (100oz)

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bottles for me, unless I'm riding for longer than a bottle on the frame and a spare in a jersey pocket will cover.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Depends.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A bottle and a Steripen

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This season I switched from water and tools in my camelbak to riding with a bottle and a saddelbag with spare tube and tools.

I dropped my bottle once in a downhill (had to hike back up to find it) and last time I was out I ran out of water (I had an 800ml bottle).

I'm probably gonna switch back to the camelbak soon. I like being "free" by it wearing anything on my back but the saddelbag looks ugly on the bike and I don't have enough water in the bottle. My frame does not allow for two bottles.

I usually ride 1-2 hours. I ride in Ontario and Quebec and it gets hot here in the summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Camelbak with tools and spare tube in it. I switch between two mountain bikes and its much easier than having doubles of everything or switching seat bags. If I just put stuff in my jersey, I'd surely forget something. The only time I ride with just a water bottle on the bike is for the short track dirt crits I do.

The Original Suspect
    Camelbak!

It seems like it's taboo to have anything but water bottles on a road bike, why is this? Camelbak to me seems more efficient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Camelbak!

It seems like it's taboo to have anything but water bottles on a road bike, why is this? Camelbak to me seems more efficient.
    For my road bike, i use a seat bag with tools and tube, and bottles on the bike. A lot of guys riding road bikes just use their jersey pockets. I tried that once and forgot my co2 inflator. Luckily I didn't need it. With the riding position on a road bike, wearing a camelbak would be very uncomfortable. Oh, and a lot of roadies are super weight weenies too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Because the extra weight sitting right on top of your back (literally) over 30+ miles will seriously strain you.

mtbr member
    Osprey Raptor 10 = Back Armour
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: backpack hydration vs waterbottle and seatpack

Camelbak!

Not very aerodynamic for starters. These guys cringe at the thought of drag force generated by a brake cable running down the backside of a fork for disk brakes, not to mention the huge weight penalty.

I use both camelback and bottles. Camel for mtb, bottles for road. I do love the convenience of a pack vs having to reach down. Dont need to worry about lost bottles either. Thinking of getting the 70oz classic for road rides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Token Hillbilly
    On the mtb I'll use a 100 oz Camelbak Lobo, on the roadie I use two bottles.

I used to use bottles on the mtb, but I got tired of eating dirt that gets kicked up from the front tire and sticks to the nozzle. Plus the Camelback gives me extra zipper pockets to throw a phone, small first-aid kit, knife and other sundries I might want along.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a saddle bag with a tube and levers. It is always on my bike.

For anything more than a short local ride on a paved trail, I wear a pack with additional tools, first aid stuff, etc. I consider it protection for my back. For a longer ride, I fill the bladder with water in addition to having a frame bottle. For shorter rides, I don't fill the bladder.

Drying the bladder is a PITA, so I fill it only if I'm going to need more than a bottle of water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I currently run both... One bottle + my 100oz CamelBak... I went on a ride one day with my pack and bottle and a bottle on my pack (5L total water) and ran out by km 30. I don't like the idea of running out of water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I tried a Camelbak but it's too much weight on my shoulders. I have a 20oz polar bottle on my frame and a 24 on my stem for when I go for 20+ miles. Sometimes I'll use the down tube bottle cage too, but that's rare. I only use that when I'm going far and its really hot out. I was looking into seat mounted cages but I feel like that will get in the way because on technical decents I have to maneuver behind me seat so I don't eat the ground.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Went back to bottles a few years ago...like the lighter feeling on my body and really..people often carry way too much water/stuff - 1 small bottle of water/hour typically works well for me..a little more if it is hot. I ride 1-2 hours in an area where you aren't in the middle of nowhere. I carry my tools etc. using an Awesome Strap and their Tul Bag (ditch the seat bags). If I were going to go on an extended backcountry-type ride, I would use a hydration pack.

Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I used bottles riding my old bike 5+ years ago but when I bought a new bike the water bottle mounts were not in a place that was easy to get to while riding and got filthy. Since then I've been using a Camelback or a Nathan Waistpack that holds 2 medium sized bottles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wingerak92 View Post
    I currently run both... One bottle + my 100oz CamelBak... I went on a ride one day with my pack and bottle and a bottle on my pack (5L total water) and ran out by km 30. I don't like the idea of running out of water.
    I suppose I should mention that my deuter pack doubles as my hiking backpack as well for day trips. Trans Alpine 30 - Bike -Backpacks & Bags - Deuter Sport GmbH

Fat-tired Roadie
    I get a chunk of my mileage on a road bike every year. I used a camelbak on it when I first started riding road, years ago. I was still insisting on using a "casual" jersey and had plain black lycra shorts with no straps at the time, to show you how concerned about air drag I was. I wasn't concerned about weight either, but have no pointlessly heavy behaviors to illustrate that.

I didn't like using a camelbak on my road bike because I ride in an enough lower position on a road bike that it's either pushing my down like it's trying to force me to fellate my stem or it's falling to the side. I suppose a waist strap might solve that, but then I'd be wearing a waist strap. So it didn't take me long to decide to learn to use bottles without stopping. Definitely a much better solution on the road.

I kept using camelbaks for another, I dunno, maybe seven years on mountain bikes. It always annoyed me a bit to have them shift around, and I never liked the waist belt. The chest strap is less bad, but that's not the same as pleasant and comfortable. So when I went to my first race and noticed that nobody else had a camelbak, I questioned my idea that all mountain bikers must wear camelbaks. True, I can only get to my bottle on mellower singletrack or service roads. But on all the routes and courses I ride, there's an opportunity at least every fifteen minutes or so.

I won one that's a little better a while ago and between that and moving to a full suspension bike that only has room for one cage, I'm using it for longer rides again. But two large bottles is three hours of riding.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cameden View Post
    so who uses what? or does it all depend on the ride?
    Road bike = Small Seat bag and 1 or 2 bottles depending on how long i plan to ride. Food in jersey pockets. I will add a 3rd in my Jersey for really long rides.

Mtn bike = No seat bag. All gear in small camelbak and 100oz of water. I will add 1 or 2 waterbottles to the bike for long rides and carry extra food in the jersey pockets depending on ride length.

How much water I bring depends on ride length and weather. Last Mtn bike ride I did was in low 80's and turned into a longer one than planned. I carried 4 clif/powerbars and 100oz in my camelbak and a 25 oz bottle on the bike. I should have brought 2 bottles as had to turn around since I was running low on water and I was happy I did. I ran dry about 20 min from the end of the trail. That was a 37 mile ride and just under 6hrs total time. That said in other cool conditions I have completed 46 miles in 6 hrs with just 3/4 of a camelbak. (100 oz). I actually lost a full bottle on that ride.

Then last night on my road bike i did 25 miles and 1:25 min and went through 1 full 25 oz bottle and smaller 21 oz bottle as well. Of course it was just about 100F when I started so that made a difference.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Poor roadies… well actually, maybe it serves them right.

Kind of a harsh thread, but it's important to be prepared.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Camelbak!

I find that on a road bike seating position makes camelbak's not as comfortable. Plus road bikes are less likely to toss water bottles and rattle gear in seat bags. Also most of the time on a road bike it is much easier to fill waterbottles somewhere along the way. Mtn biking your are often more remote.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Because the extra weight sitting right on top of your back (literally) over 30+ miles will seriously strain you.
    I disagree. I routinely ride 25+ miles on road bike with Camelbak and don't find it to be cumbersome. I can't see even carrying enough liquid in water bottles for a long ride.

I also don't road ride in groups or competition. Only to get stronger for MTB.

mtbr member
    I disagree. I routinely ride 25+ miles on road bike with Camelbak and don't find it to be cumbersome. I can't see even carrying enough liquid in water bottles for a long ride.

I also don't road ride in groups or competition. Only to get stronger for MTB.
    On a road bike to me it is not an issue of strain, but ridding with bottle is just more comfortable. And the downside of bottles are not as apparent on a road bike. I only carry bottles on my mtn bike when I need extra water. I find a small camelbak ideal for Mtn biking, but I do find that some people carry way too big of a pack and bring too much stuff. I purposely have small camelbak (Old style Mule which is the size of today's Lobo) and pack only what I need.
    Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast