Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Getting the monkey off the back is oh so nice, bottles are awesome for ~2 hour rides.

Using tubes and 1 spare+ patch kit does me good, for epic ventures I'd throw another tube in the jersey for sure.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: backpack hydration vs waterbottle and seatpack

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Fair enough..don't want to turn this into a tubeless war thread (but it's 2014..try it).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Hey, it took until last year for me to go FS.

Given that I just shrugged and accepted it when my new bike came with a SRAM 2x10 drivetrain, I'm sure sooner or later it'll be easier for me to go tubeless than to keep using tubes.

I have ridden tubeless at demo days. It just hasn't grabbed me like 29ers or, finally rear suspension.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Hey, it took until last year for me to go FS.

Given that I just shrugged and accepted it when my new bike came with a SRAM 2x10 drivetrain, I'm sure sooner or later it'll be easier for me to go tubeless than to keep using tubes.

I have ridden tubeless at demo days. It just hasn't grabbed me like 29ers or, finally rear suspension.
    Oh good..now how about going 1x10...kidding of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

backpack hydration vs waterbottle and seatpack

I wear a giegerrig 1600 for commuting. Love the pressurized bag when you really huffing and puffing.

I have a bottle on my bike for trails and i have a seat bag with tools, co2 and patches.

Packs dont bother me in the weight department, hate the soaked back! Im use to wearing a avalanche backpack mountain sledding and its far heavier than my bike pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wish I could wear a pack cause I'm really limited to how much water I can carry, but i find ways to deal.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    Man, some of you guys must not drink as much water as I do. I can kill 2.5L out of my Raptor 14 in 4 or 5 hours on a hot day. I sweat like a pig!

I also carry a small first aid kit, a multi-tool and a spare tube along with a pump in the bag. I like to be prepared for just about whatever could happen while out on the bike.
    Man, I killed my 3L Camelbak in 84*F weather doing 20 miles + a gatorade. In a workday with no biking or workout I will go through 3+ litres. I drink a lot of water I suppose. I feel your pain. I think one way to reduce my water consumption is to eat different foods....
    The pack on my road bike is definitely an annoyance. Does slip and slide around. I use a Camelbak Podium water bottle (Even at work I refill it 3-4 times a day) and it has the nice ability that you send a small squirt to clean the nozzle.

mtbr member
    For me, I know I will drink more if it is there (i.e. Camelbak) and will meter my intake more with bottles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    For me, I know I will drink more if it is there (i.e. Camelbak) and will meter my intake more with bottles.
    I too am more frugal when all I have is a bottle. What I am really working on now is pre-hydrating more, and it is helping quite a bit. I would much rather not carry the pack, but here in So-Cal, it's often so hot I hate to chance running out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I wish I could wear a pack cause I'm really limited to how much water I can carry, but i find ways to deal.

If you have a back, and some arms, you can wear a pack.

mtbr member
    Bottles and seatbag for the road, hydration pack on the mtb.

I am pretty much always never more than a couple miles from a store or something on the road, so I can stop and refill water, buy snacks, whatever. So for most rides, I have stuff to change a tube in my seat bag, and my phone and a credit card, and that's about it. I always ride from home, so I don't need car keys, wallet, stuff like that. Plus, if I have a major problem, I can always catch a bus or make the call of shame to my wife.

On the trail, I bring more stuff -- I need my own food, plenty of water, stuff to repair reasonable breakdowns, since I can't bail out on the road as easily. Plus, the pack makes a nice spine protector! On top of that, it seems the seat bag might interfere w/ my dropper post, and my frame only has one spot for a water bottle, and it isn't very convenient.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    If you have a back, and some arms, you can wear a pack.
    I have a bad shoulder and putting weight on it like that just makes it worse. There is nerve damage so it's not the weight really, just the pressure. I have one, I just can't use it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Some of the waist packs marketed for hikers look kind of non-sucky. You could do a hydration belt. If you find you need a shoulder strap, go over the good shoulder.

That way, both of your shoulders can be uncomfortable. :-p
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

In dog years, I'm dead.
    On MTB, always a pack. The pack has saved my back several times going OTB onto rocks. Also easier to sip without taking hands off the bars or reaching down for a bottle.

On the road, a pack would interfere with aerodynamics at the higher speeds. If 2 bottles are not enough, we plan a refill stop mid-ride.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    never thought of the back protection aspect of wearing a pack, and im not gonna lie it has always been something that concerns me dating a nurse. recently id been switching between a pack and a seat back and between the dirty water bottles, convenience and now the safety factor, look like the pack will have a permanent place on my back while off-road.

mtbr member

Here is my setup for ditching the Camelback.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3