Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Drying the bladder is a PITA
    Then don't do it. I never do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    seems like water bottles and a small seatpack for the road and a small yet efficient camelback for offroad seems to be the most popular trend here.

mtbr member
    I use two bottles on my roadie and put tube, lever, mini pump, vest/jacket, food, cash/ID/debit card, and phone in my jersey pockets. Doesn't bother me.

On the mtb I was using a saddle bag but I have found I can do the same on the trails as I do on the road - nothing falls out. Typically ride for 1.5-2 hours and one water bottle will suffice usually. I OTBed the other day and everything remained in my pockets, ha! Also where I live, getting to water is pretty easy with our trail system. I am looking into packs if I ever decided to make the switch or in no man's land.

mtbr member
    I have a Camelbac Unbottle with Mountainsmith strappettes that I strap my crap to and it works pretty well. If I need more space, I'll use a lumbar pack.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I didn't like using a camelbak on my road bike because I ride in an enough lower position on a road bike that it's either pushing my down like it's trying to force me to fellate my stem or it's falling to the side.
    Uhh,...I guess, nothing like some wholesome, ****-erotic imagery to pass the time while road biking. But, I do get your point. I understand your argument, that is...

I like to drink diluted juice on rides and don't like anything but water in the pack. So, most of the time it's bottles only. For very long mountain bike rides without access to water, I'll ride with juice in the bottles and water in the pack.

mtbr member
    I have used a backpack for years - love having all my tools and a few spares.

early this season I was convinced by a few other friends that have swapped to backpack-free to give it a try.

Tubes, levers, pump, multi-tool all strapped to bike. Obviously a water bottle, and for rides longer then 2 hours I have acquired a running waist pack that can hold a few more water bottles if needed. I really am appreciating the free feeling on the bike - and as an added bonus I find I am not overheating as much on the long climbs so they dont seem as miserable anymore.

Only item I am still working on to attach it to the bike is a small first aid kit.

mtbr member
    I ride with camelback with water and when I go on longer rides, I'll add a bottle of concentrated electrolyte. Sip on the electrolyte and wash down with water. That way my camelback does not get grodie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have always used a Osprey Raptor but on my next ride I am trying a seat bag and water bottle. My rides are short - typically 10 miles of trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use a 100 Oz camelback filled with water(and nothing but water, they get nasty with anything else in it)

Then I use a 24 Oz bottle filled with a sports drink.

The bottle is easy to clean.

On a hot summer day I go trough that in about 3 1/2 hours.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

derp
    ^^pretty much.

Camelback with plain water and tools, 500ml bottle with sports drink.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Man, some of you guys must not drink as much water as I do. I can kill 2.5L out of my Raptor 14 in 4 or 5 hours on a hot day. I sweat like a pig!

I also carry a small first aid kit, a multi-tool and a spare tube along with a pump in the bag. I like to be prepared for just about whatever could happen while out on the bike.

It's about showing up.
    Local? Seatbag, bottle, 2 shots.
    Expedition? Seatbag. 100 oz Mule, tools, lots food. Bottle on bike with Cytomax.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Guys....ditch the seat bags...embrace the strap...

Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

Get a tube tarp if you don't like you stuff getting dirty and add a Tul Bag to carry your bits in. Just do it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    Man, some of you guys must not drink as much water as I do. I can kill 2.5L out of my Raptor 14 in 4 or 5 hours on a hot day. I sweat like a pig!

I also carry a small first aid kit, a multi-tool and a spare tube along with a pump in the bag. I like to be prepared for just about whatever could happen while out on the bike.
    I can drink that much too in 4-5 hours...too bad my longest ride would be 2 and 2 small bottles is enough for that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Bottles are the better choice honestly, maybe for MTB it's hard but it's always the best option! #stayHydrated

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: backpack hydration vs waterbottle and seatpack

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Guys....ditch the seat bags...embrace the strap...

Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

Get a tube tarp if you don't like you stuff getting dirty and add a Tul Bag to carry your bits in. Just do it.
    I still don't get this idea. Why is it better than a seat bag with compartments?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I still don't get this idea. Why is it better than a seat bag with compartments?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    B/c its not as bulky and no jingling etc. You drop the other bits in the Tul Bag and drop it in your jersey pocket. If you are a kitchen sink type of rider..this isn't for you.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've never noticed my seat bags making noise. But I don't put much in them. Usually just two tubes and a patch kit, sometimes tire levers. And I use the smallest seat bags that will fit in. I expect to have to stuff the second tube in a little bit. Pump and multi tool go in a jersey pocket.

It's rare for me to do rides over four hours lately, which two large bottles just stretch to, if not super-comfortably. If I do go that long, though, much of the time I'll be on a trail system that passes through the parking lot or near a public park. So I can switch bottles or top up or something. And I do bring out the camelbak if the alternatives aren't convenient. I just don't make it my primary way to carry water, and I don't always fill it all the way if I do bring it - that helps with the weight on my back issue.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    ^^^Are you riding tubeless? 2 tubes would be overkill if so.

mtbr member
    I've tried to mix and match, using bottles for short rides, camelbak for longer ones, but it takes too much time getting my crap together and making sure I have everything in the right place. I also ride alone 90% of the time, so I need to carry everything I need, I can't rely on my buddy having a tool or pump.

So I use my camelbak all the time now. Water, tube, pump, tools ( allens, chain tool, tire levers, zip ties, tape, patch kit, alcohol wipes) spare parts like derailleur hanger, chain links, small rag to clean my sunglasses or use as a bandage (with the tape). Throw in a layer, some food, a hand saw and pruner (the maintenance never stops).

I also like having the camelbak for back protection. I've landed hard on my camelbak many times and thought "wow, I'm glad I had this on so I didn't smash my spine on the rock I landed on"

I like the idea of riding with nothing on my back, it just doesn't work for me. I guess if I wanted to risk a long walk back I could go for it, but one ride ruined and it wouldn't be worth it for me.

On the road I use bottles and a seat bag.

mtbr member
    You've never flatted twice? Here's the problem, once you blow out once, now you've got one tire tubeless, the other has a tube. Last time I flatted I put in my tube, rode about 50 ft, hit a jump, landed on a rock and blew out my tube. Good thing I had a second one cause it was a nasty pinch flat with two large slits.

Fat-tired Roadie

Nope. I was thinking about it, but when I watched the Stan's video, it seemed like he spent quite a lot of time shaking the tire to get it to set up. And my teammates complain about removing dried sealant; some have gone back to using tubes. I also don't own a compressor, and don't really want to. I know people can often get their tires to seat with a floor pump, but it's not a guarantee. I wouldn't want to be reliant on a shop or a visit to my job to re-seat my tire if it did have a problem.

And, I don't feel that poorly served by tubes. I use maybe 2.5 psi more than I'd like to. I guess less rolling resistance would be cool, but when I race, my class's winners are more than a couple percent faster than me and when I'm riding on my own, it doesn't really matter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    You've never flatted twice? Here's the problem, once you blow out once, now you've got one tire tubeless, the other has a tube. Last time I flatted I put in my tube, rode about 50 ft, hit a jump, landed on a rock and blew out my tube. Good thing I had a second one cause it was a nasty pinch flat with two large slits.
    Not since I went tubeless a few years ago. even in the old days running tubes, 1 tube and a patch kit was enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I ride in a lot of heat. On shorter rides (<10 miles) bottle of water in the cage only. Anything longer than that, I carry my camelback with water only, then a bottle of Accelerade in the cage. I mostly drink water only for the first hour, then sip the Accelerade too. I carry food, pump, and a couple other items in the pack, but I try to keep it essential to my ride to reduce weight. I do not carry a tube unless going on rides taking me at least 10 miles from my car. Having said that, I keep fresh sealant in my tires and check it monthly. I never put anything in the bladder other than water.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Nope. I was thinking about it, but when I watched the Stan's video, it seemed like he spent quite a lot of time shaking the tire to get it to set up. And my teammates complain about removing dried sealant; some have gone back to using tubes. I also don't own a compressor, and don't really want to. I know people can often get their tires to seat with a floor pump, but it's not a guarantee. I wouldn't want to be reliant on a shop or a visit to my job to re-seat my tire if it did have a problem.

And, I don't feel that poorly served by tubes. I use maybe 2.5 psi more than I'd like to. I guess less rolling resistance would be cool, but when I race, my class's winners are more than a couple percent faster than me and when I'm riding on my own, it doesn't really matter.
    Fair enough..don't want to turn this into a tubeless war thread (but it's 2014..try it).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast