mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Backpack ERGON BC2

Anyone using the ERGON Backpacks BC1 or BC2??
    What your opinion??

mtbr member
    I picked up an Ergon this spring and I love it. Most comfortable pack I've used, it really carries the weight on your hips and you can load it up for big days without it feeling like your carrying a heavy pack.

They are expensive and somewhat hard to find reviews on but for me it was well worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    I picked up an Ergon this spring and I love it. Most comfortable pack I've used, it really carries the weight on your hips and you can load it up for big days without it feeling like your carrying a heavy pack.

They are expensive and somewhat hard to find reviews on but for me it was well worth it.

Nice to hear, thanks!! What about the ventilation... It also works well?? (here in Portugal is veeery hot!!!)

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've got a BA3, which has the same harness design.

Compared to a standard pack, the harness is great. It gives you complete upper body mobility and you can carry a lot without really feeling it (I've taken mine with around 10kg on it).

It ventilates remarkably well. In terms of ventilation, the only other pack I've used that matches it are the low-rider Wingnuts.

mtbr member
    Ya, the shoulder straps are cooler than a pack that sits on your back and they do give your upper body a lot more freedom of movement. I'm in the Southwest of the US so it gets pretty hot here too, but it's a dry heat--like an oven.

willtsmith_nwi
    I have a BD2. The ventilation is WAY superior to Camelbak. Ergon has redefined what a backback SHOULD be ... a hip-pack with shoulder stabilization. The weight just disappears.

When walking the only parts that touch the body are the waist belt and the harness. When riding most of the pack still doesn't touch your back and the ventilation is stellar. I rarely use the integrated rain cover, but It has come in handy at times. And the clever use of the back panels gives you ride accessible pockets.

The newer BC2 looks like the actual bag portion is inspired by the Camelbak blowfish. They have also integrated a "hip pocket" into the bag for easy access to your tools.

Get one. And move your Camelbak bladder into it. Or wait till the new and improved Camelbak bladders come out this fall.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I've got an old BD1, works great. Keeps the weight off my back and on my hips, no more back and neck pain for me after a long ride.
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    I've had my eye on this pack for a while. I am curious how you go about cleaning it. With my MULE I can just chuck it in the washer and it is good to go. This BC2 has a pretty hefty looking frame and I wouldn't want to throw it in the washer. Does the pack detatch from the frame? What do you do once it gets the MTB funk?
    Signature

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    I've had my eye on this pack for a while. I am curious how you go about cleaning it. With my MULE I can just chuck it in the washer and it is good to go. This BC2 has a pretty hefty looking frame and I wouldn't want to throw it in the washer. Does the pack detatch from the frame? What do you do once it gets the MTB funk?
    No the pack does not detach from the frame. To clean it, the best option is to spray it down with warm soapy water then wipe clean with a rag or cloth towel.

The BC2 just became available in the USA last week. Available here right now......in the hands of retailers in about 1 more week or so.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone knows about the safety of this bag??What happen if you fall on your back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    No the pack does not detach from the frame. To clean it, the best option is to spray it down with warm soapy water then wipe clean with a rag or cloth towel.

The BC2 just became available in the USA last week. Available here right now......in the hands of retailers in about 1 more week or so.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Thanks Jeff.

When is the team edition going to be available? I dig the lime green!
    Signature

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by hmpoliveira
    Anyone knows about the safety of this bag??What happen if you fall on your back?
    Being 280# and having fallen on my back with it, I can definitely say ... nothing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Being 280# and having fallen on my back with it, I can definitely say ... nothing.
    Thanks willtsmith.... good to know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Nothing happened to the bag? Frame looks pretty stout but I could see that pivot as a possible weak point. Then again...could be a moot point since I am sure the parts are easily replaced.
    Signature

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    When is the team edition going to be available? I dig the lime green!
    Available now: https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/shop

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    Available now: https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/shop

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Thanks again Jeff. I was on that page earlier today but evidenly I didn't scroll down far enough to see the Team colors. Doh.
    Signature

willtsmith_nwi
    Nothing happened to the bag? Frame looks pretty stout but I could see that pivot as a possible weak point. Then again...could be a moot point since I am sure the parts are easily replaced.
    I'm sure there is some force that will shear the ball joint fixing bolt and pancake the frame. Howevr, at that point you will have more serious trouble than your pack.

BTW, Ergon has excellent customer service. I had an issue with mine and Jeff fixed the remedied the issue in record time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just got the BC2 - packed it and checked the options to attach protection with the straps.
    Before I got the bag I was wandering how they work...well...they work

the main compartment of the bag is very organized but I would have liked to have zipped pockets inside.
    I carry quite a lot of stuff for basic rides and you can see there are five pockets which keeps the compartment well organized and there is plenty of room left. There are also the back pockets, side attached pocket and a flat front pocket which I find useful for the rain cover and gloves.

I haven't ride with the bag yet, just adjusted it on my back and it feels very comfortable, the free movement of the shoulders is great and the weight of the bag almost unfelt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backpack ERGON BC2-p1010208.jpg  

Backpack ERGON BC2-p1010209.jpg  

Backpack ERGON BC2-p1010212.jpg  

Backpack ERGON BC2-p1010213.jpg  

Backpack ERGON BC2-p1010215.jpg  

Last edited by Tal Kadouri; 08-15-2010 at 07:16 AM.
    Tal

mtbr member
    I have the Low-Rider Wingnut pack and love it. Haven't been using the waist strap though, but still feels decent on my back.

With the Ergon packs, how snug would you cinch it up around the waist until the weight on the shoulder straps drops significantly? And with the waist belt cinched up, does it feel restricting in any way, esp. when leaned forward a bit? I figure this would increase the sweat buildup around the waist area. I get enough sweat around there as it is. Shouldn't be a huge problem, but something to consider.

This seems like one of those things you'd have to definitely check out in person to get a good feel for how it rides on the back. Gotta see if I can find someone locally that stocks these if at all.

BTW, thanks for the great pics!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Six
    I have the Low-Rider Wingnut pack and love it. Haven't been using the waist strap though, but still feels decent on my back.

With the Ergon packs, how snug would you cinch it up around the waist until the weight on the shoulder straps drops significantly? And with the waist belt cinched up, does it feel restricting in any way, esp. when leaned forward a bit? I figure this would increase the sweat buildup around the waist area. I get enough sweat around there as it is. Shouldn't be a huge problem, but something to consider.

This seems like one of those things you'd have to definitely check out in person to get a good feel for how it rides on the back. Gotta see if I can find someone locally that stocks these if at all.

BTW, thanks for the great pics!
    The waist belt does not feel restrictive at all- you're supposed to put it over the bones in your hips, not your waist. Same with the Wingnuts.

I have not noticed sweat to be any more of a problem than on my Wingnut- they are about equal there.

willtsmith_nwi

Looking at that layout, I think I wish I had a BC2 as opposed to a BD2. Maybe BC2 for MTB and I can leave the BD2 for the road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ‘aborted’ a gap jump in Switzerland this summer. It was pretty comical; the bike just kept going and I fell into the hole. My Ergon pack got caught on the lip of the jump and the waist harness tore off. I rigged it to my belt with some zip ties and finished the ride.

When I got back to the chalet, I realised that there were Velcro straps that held the waist belt on! All it did was release during the crash.

Good design feature!

It is a BD2 by the way

Cheers

phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T