Thread: Back to HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Back to HT

I was just curious if anyone has ridden F/S for awhile and then went back to hardtail I recently started riding a H/T again and it just seemed to be way more fun than it used to be maybe it's just the simplicity. I've ridden off and on for years but pretty consistent here recently. I guess I'm just looking for input if anyone has had a recent experience. Also hello to all I'm a long time looker on here just decided to get into the forum seems to be a lot of good people on here.

Live 2 Ride
    I had a Cannondale Jekyll at one point. Went back to a hardtail because at my weight the rear suspension is useless.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    I had a Cannondale Jekyll at one point. Went back to a hardtail because at my weight the rear suspension is useless.
    and the moral to that story is what?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I took my hardtail to work. I get a couple lunch rides a month on it. I haven't really revisited my favorite home trails with it since switching, but now and then, I ride the trails near work on the new bike. It's not that different.

The one thing I haven't done yet is to take my new bike on the fast guys' lunch ride. As long as I don't, there's some ambiguity about whether it's me or the bike that has trouble keeping up with them in the more technical, downhill-trending stuff. Once I've taken the fast bike, I'll have removed all doubt.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had a guy bring in a Redline D440 rigid 29er into the shop didn't want to pay the 100 bucks for the tune up I told him I would give him a 100bucks and take it off his hands. It was my first non-FS in years. Its heavy, dull looking, and has cheap wheels but I love the simplicity of the bike I put some Disc brakes, tires and a new saddle and called it a day. No check the tune before I ride just gear up and go. I even bough a Jamis 853 Dragon team frame off Jenson to build a 26er hardtail cuz i love 29er rigid soo much.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Switched back to a hard tail last season and haven't regretted it once. Less time needed for maintenance means more riding and I can already feel an improvement in my bike handling skills.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've been buying the time, essentially. :-p Not that I shouldn't have been rebuilding my fork regularly before, but I'm trying not to run anything into the ground prematurely on the new bike. So it's spending some time in the shop during the week, while I go to my j-o-b. I was reflecting to my wife that given that I'm now working full-time and have a bit of a commute, my free hours are worth more to me. So I'm more inclined (and better funded) than I used to be to have someone else keep my bike ready for the weekend.

Having a bike at work, running, and road cycling mean I don't have to miss rides during the week if the shiny new one is in the shop.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I road specialized epics for 12+ years (essentially since they came out), but switched to a hard tail late last year. Similar to you...desired dependability, simplicity, and loosing some weight didn't hurt either...What I didn't expect was increase confidence and more stability. Don't know that I'll ever go back to a full suspension.

derp
    I have a couple of FS bikes and a hardtail, i can't remember the last time i actually rode any of the FS bikes and i'm considering selling them to buy a nice carbon wheelset for the HT.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

I like pie.
    I go back and forth. Own a FS and Steel HT. Both are good. If someone put a gun to my head and said get rid of one of your bikes, I'd keep the HT.

mtbr member
    I have a rigid aluminum 29er, a rigid steel 29er and a FS 26er. I would hands down keep the steel rigid 29er if I had to choose just one.

Is now still the time?
    Have been riding full rigid single speed most of the time because the trails where I live are lame.

Just went on a week car camping and riding though, and took the FS bike. Since I ride other bikes most of the time, the FS bike needs less maintenance. That is nice!

Also have a hard tail with a 100mm travel fork that I use with a BOB trailer and long epics.

SS rigid is okay for fun, but the FS bike with gears is better, plus the seat dropper post is awesome. Only have that on the FS!

Now, I have a Mukluk fat bike too. Fat is an obsession. I would trade in all my bikes, except the commuter, for an FS fat bike. With that I won't even need a trail!
    SOrCerer