mtbr member
    Sep 2011

avoiding friction burns

Mostly I ride about 1-3 hours with some biker shorts with padding. I wear camping shorts over the spandex because I keep ripping the spandex in crashes and so I have pockets. The spandex is around $75 and the camping shorts are very light synthetic and cost about $15.

I recently did a 5 hour ride and got some nasty friction burns. All the internet advice Im reading is about rashes so the solutions are antibacterial, keep the area clean, wash your shorts etc. They dont seem to apply to a one time friction burn.

Is the only solution chamois butter or the like, are my shorts not expensive enough, too much padding, or is it possibly wearing the camping shorts over them?

Im working my way up to a 12 hour ride so need to solve this.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You seriously managed to get friction burns from your shorts?

Dare I ask? Where?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

usually cranky
    spandex and friction burns. doesn't compute.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Mostly I ride about 1-3 hours with some biker shorts with padding. I wear camping shorts over the spandex because I keep ripping the spandex in crashes and so I have pockets.
    Any chance the lyrca you're wearing now has a couple holes in it and the outer shorts are rubbing against your skin while you ride?

I sometimes wear my lycra kit all day on race weekends -- race in the morning, sit around/pedal a bit for a couple hours, then race again in the afternoon. I've never had any sort of burns or blisters or anything like that.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    there are no holes and there is padding on the butt. Here are the shorts

Nitro L.E. Shorts

basically wherever my ass touched the seat I have scabs now. I didnt measure but about 4 inches in diameter on either side. Does this short require a lube?

the padding is not smooth like spandex

Quiet Professional
    Are you wearing underware?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It could have been bunching of the camping shorts over the lycra. That may have caused pinch points. The other is underwear under the lycra. The chamios is designed to run right on your skin and good pair will stop and chaffing that you are experiencing. Of course now you will need to heal up a bit first.

This for me we never a concern until I start road biking.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

pin it
    Chafing is also the result of sweat and damp skin rubbing against loose fabric or other skin. It shouldn't be a problem for short rides but I can see it occurring for longer rides if your not dressed for it. So it could be a ventilation or clothing fit problem.

Synthetic material like Coolmax is best against the skin because it wicks moisture away. Don't wear cotton clothing because once it gets wet, it stays wet. In addition, cotton is a rough material and when it's constantly moving against your skin, it can rub your skin raw.

Since chafing can be caused by loose clothing, it's better to wear clothes that are snug.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    dont wear underwear, wore the shorts I posted above which are spandex with a chamois.

AZ
    banned
    Your first 5 hour ride? Try some chamois cream for your next long ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

avoiding friction burns

Wrote this a few years ago. Hope it helps!

http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2010/0...for-taint.html

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So one thing I was thinking about is that the legs have elastic. When I pull the shorts on I tend to leave the elastic at a location where it isnt too tight on my legs. However the shorts may not be fully pulled up into my groin. This might mean the shorts arent snug. Would this cause the friction burns?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Your first 5 hour ride? Try some chamois cream for your next long ride.
    I have read that many people dont use any lube. Right now Im trying to not use lube to keep things more simple, but once I heal up Ill try again and see if it is a problem.

usually cranky
    Would this cause the friction burns?
    thats probably your issue, you want the shorts snug.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mostly I ride about 1-3 hours with some biker shorts with padding. I wear camping shorts over the spandex because I keep ripping the spandex in crashes and so I have pockets. The spandex is around $75 and the camping shorts are very light synthetic and cost about $15.

I recently did a 5 hour ride and got some nasty friction burns. All the internet advice Im reading is about rashes so the solutions are antibacterial, keep the area clean, wash your shorts etc. They dont seem to apply to a one time friction burn.

Is the only solution chamois butter or the like, are my shorts not expensive enough, too much padding, or is it possibly wearing the camping shorts over them?

Im working my way up to a 12 hour ride so need to solve this.
    Lose the outside shorts...

I am certainly able to ride 10 plus hours anyway without friction burns (chafing)...

I do however prefer some shorts over others..

The ones with heavy and or stiffere fabric are not as nice and the really light lcyra shorts for long distances.

Yeah and lots of peolpe need but cream as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Get rid of the second pair of shorts. I bet you that is what is causing the problems.

Look for this stuff, works great.

Chamois-Buttr-8-Ounce-Skin-Lubricant

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Get rid of the second pair of shorts. I bet you that is what is causing the problems.

Look for this stuff, works great.

Chamois-Buttr-8-Ounce-Skin-Lubricant
    Once I heal up Ill try a longer ride without the shorts. I just hate ripping the expensive spandex when I crash. We have a lot of sharp limestone rocks and they just shred spandex.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I bought diaper rash cream a while ago. Works great, has a picture of a cute firefly on the bottle.

Read the active ingredients of things.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Once I heal up Ill try a longer ride without the shorts. I just hate ripping the expensive spandex when I crash. We have a lot of sharp limestone rocks and they just shred spandex.
    In my experience the problem with crashing is not so much tearing up the shorts but shredding your skin...

If your worried about sitting on a rock while resting....well just keep riding at a slower pace so you don't have to sit on the rocks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    So one thing I was thinking about is that the legs have elastic. When I pull the shorts on I tend to leave the elastic at a location where it isnt too tight on my legs. However the shorts may not be fully pulled up into my groin. This might mean the shorts arent snug. Would this cause the friction burns?
    I missed this before, but I think it's part of the problem. Cycling shorts need to be snug and not move around. I bet you'll be happier if you get some that fit you better, and wear them pulled up all the way. Since trying them, I've also become a fan of bib shorts. They eliminate the elastic waist band and stay in place better.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ... However the shorts may not be fully pulled up into my groin. ... Would this cause the friction burns?
    YES!!

The shorts need to be very sung as any space between the groin and chamios is place for chaffing. I usally pay close attention to make sure my chamios is almost wedgie mode. Not up the crack, definitely close.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I missed this before, but I think it's part of the problem. Cycling shorts need to be snug and not move around. I bet you'll be happier if you get some that fit you better, and wear them pulled up all the way. Since trying them, I've also become a fan of bib shorts. They eliminate the elastic waist band and stay in place better.
    Ok I think this was the problem. Im almost healed up so will do another 5 hour ride this weekend and see if it helps.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Use chamois cream of some kind too. That also helps. And unless you're more interested in the science experiment than riding your bike, there's no harm in doing both and not worrying about which one worked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't go for a five hour ride, do a couple of shorter ones, give your skin some time to heal!

Lunatic
    Bagbalm. Great stuff.
    SMASH