Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Attacked by a runner!

Ever had a altercation with someone while on a ride?
    I was riding around the neigborhood. a runner was going to step off the curb into the street right into my path. I gave him a Yoo Yoo! shout. He didn't care for my Yoo Yoo and started yellng things. so I stopped and I may have egged him on, so when I tried to ride away he grabs my sweat shirt and throws me to the ground! Big mistake on his part. he was still attached to my bike when it hit the ground. So I grabbed the bike and slammed him with it several times, he was still there so I kicked him about three more times to get him off me. You can say he got the worse of it. bleeding from the face. me and the bike no damage! Don't be messing with mt. bikers!! I will protect myself.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    I predict this thread will go well.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Umm yeah. Ive done some dumb chit in my life but sure as hell never bragged about it. I hope the OP is not expecting anything in the way of affirmation.

Is not amused
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 02-23-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ^^^^Lmao..

mtbr member
    Wow, never heard of anything like this that was so violent. I would have just ignored him. It must have looked like a geek fest. A goofball in a jogging outfit with a nerd wearing a helmet clutching a bicycle exchanging blows. I don't ever recommend doing anything like that.

I like stuff
    Ive always wanted to slap someone with a bicycle Bad pedestrian!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If u carried a gun you coulda shot him

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
    I was riding around the neigborhood. a runner was going to step off the curb into the street right into my path. I gave him a Yoo Yoo! shout. He didn't care for my Yoo Yoo and started yellng things. so I stopped and I may have egged him on, so when I tried to ride away he grabs my sweat shirt and throws me to the ground! Big mistake on his part. he was still attached to my bike when it hit the ground. So I grabbed the bike and slammed him with it several times, he was still there so I kicked him about three more times to get him off me. You can say he got the worse of it. bleeding from the face. me and the bike no damage! Don't be messing with mt. bikers!! I will protect myself.
    Protect? More like assault. Do you use meth?

mtbr member
    Eh he got in a scrap, so what?

Vitamin Bike Added
    If it weren't for lawyers and financial ruin...
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Next time exercise better self control... Big difference between self defense and two grown men acting stupid

bust a move
    You still might be hearing from the authorities...:

mtbr member
    did you guys read about how the jogger grabbed his shirt and threw him to the ground? someone said ignore him? thats funny.

OP - you prob should have left out the part about bludgeoning the guy with your bike, but i bet it felt pretty good. you may or may not be a dick.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    did you guys read about how the jogger grabbed his shirt and threw him to the ground? someone said ignore him? thats funny.

OP - you prob should have left out the part about bludgeoning the guy with your bike, but i bet it felt pretty good. you may or may not be a dick.
    He stopped and egged him on.

TSounds like there was multiple ways this could have been avoided. Flip him the bird and keep on riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have been in a confrontation with a jogger before. I did not egg him on, he did not attack me and everyone went on with their lives.

If I were you I would delete this post. It makes pretty good evidence in a criminal case. Bragging about beating someone probably won't go over very well with a jury.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    He stopped and egged him on.

youre right, my apologies to LenzRider, i was thinking ignore the guy after the take down.

this is how i see it:
    OP egged him on - should have ignored him instead, but I cant blame him for being offended and looking the jogger in the face.

jogger grabs shirt and throws OP to ground - any kind of rights and wrongs are now thrown out the window. attacker must be taken out or OP can be seriously injured.

OP brags about it on a forum - not cool, give mtn bikers a bad name but makes a great thread.

cheers
    -z

AZ
    banned
    Hit him with your purse next time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Inflammatory threads for rep. What a lovely addition that has made.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Its not so bad. Now if you had urinated on him while he was down, that would have crossed the line.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

thecentralscrutinizer
    OP could claim self defense if the runner did grab him and would not let go.

Unfortunately, sometimes you don't have a choice but to react this way.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

banned
    Sep 2010
    Good job OP, another runner/hiker/pedestrian that thinks all cyclists are dooooosh baggggs.

mtbr member

Titanium junkie
    Always 2 sides to a story, wouldn't have admitted the multiple kick's.
    Moving on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good job. I am a big believer in trying to walk away but if someone stops me I will do what I have to do.(including beating them with my MTB.) Personaly, I totaly approve. You have to draw a line and don't let people cross it. History is full of perfect examples of what happens if you don't. But... Like I said in the first sentence, I am a big believer in trying to walk away first but once forced into a situation it is totaly OK to go all out to end it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    if jogger dropped him to the ground beating is justified. /end thread

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BertoManfred View Post
    if jogger dropped him to the ground beating is justified. /end thread

In the op's words, "I egged him on". The op should have got his ass kicked for acting like a total DB.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that all, if not most have had some kind of situation with people, some people just s@ck, add to that the added adrenaline from exercise and it's inevitable. I don't really care what people feel they have to say, like yelling at me, or calling me names, I know who I am, but pick up your hand and you've just crossed the line. I don't think, once he grabbed you, that he shouldn't have a lesson coming his way, but using your bike and kicking him while he's on the ground bleeding seems a bit harsh. Guess you felt like you needed an advantage, or an ego boost. Why else would you post this? Maybe like AZ said, use your purse next time. 2 wrongs don't make a right, and your egging him on, IMO, just shows a lack of confidence and maturity.
    Was not there but my .02
    Last edited by theMeat; 02-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Round and round we go

"2 Wycked"

Like this?

Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't start a fight armed with only words.

mtbr member
    Hmm, some great points here all around. Personally I try to be proactive in my approach with joggers. I always attack them all first before they can even think of starting anything with me.

(only exception to this would be the guy who runs around a local mtb area naked. Rule #1 in life: never fight a naked dude, especially if he doesn't have clothes on)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can't believe how many people are coming down on the op! The other guy was way out of line from the get go, both literally and figuratively. If I try to give someone a heads up that they are about to get hit and they berate me for the warning, I will respond in kind. If they then assault me, I will also respond in kind. It sounds to me like all the people accusing the op of needing an ego boost are trying to boost their own ego by telling us how superior their character is compared to the op.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I bet you were ***** slapping each other like a couple female mud wrestlers without the hot factor.
    By the way, don't stop and get into a road rage incident. What is the point?

banned

yeah I hear ya, some of those Girl Scouts can be tough little b!tches.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    I can't believe how many people are coming down on the op! The other guy was way out of line from the get go, both literally and figuratively.
    Do you really know that?

For all we know, the jogger might just have been startled by the yell and the OP passing close by and may have thrown a "Whoa, nice driving, moron" as a reaction, making the OP stop, turn and start the Taxi Driver routing "Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me, M.F.!!".

If the jogger kept yelling all sorts of nasty stuff after the OP I'll cut the OP some slack for responding, but it might just as well have been a single "moron" call and the OP going way too sensitive and stop to pick a fight.

mtbr member
    lets face it most on here are coming down on the op cause the only fight they have ever been in was a pillow fight at their sisters slumber party.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Good job..eff-whatever the nay sayers are saying.. if you dont defend yourself who's gonna do it for you? Of course, like anyone does, try to pick your battles as wisely as you can. Speaking for myself I would not book such nonsense and would have beat a hole in the guy...If events transpired as you described, then that runner was deliberate in his actions and initiated the assault!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cool story, Bro.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    lets face it most on here are coming down on the op cause the only fight they have ever been in was a pillow fight at their sisters slumber party.

As opposed to you sticking your head up your ass and fighting for air?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyblanco2121 View Post
    ^^^^Lmao..
    Benny Blanco? From The Bronx???
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Hmm, some great points here all around. Personally I try to be proactive in my approach with joggers. I always attack them all first before they can even think of starting anything with me.

(only exception to this would be the guy who runs around a local mtb area naked. Rule #1 in life: never fight a naked dude, especially if he doesn't have clothes on)
    I almost choked on my sandwich when I read this^ HA! you get a green chicklet!
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

I4NI
    Reminds me of the "Freak Out"(girl on trail) vid we had here awhile back.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    http://cycletc.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/27.jpg
    crazy03, that dude's ground fighting position is terrible

All joking aside, there's three sides to the story... his side, the jogger's side, and what really happened.

mtbr member
    I can definitely tell who is passive, and who is aggressive by peoples responses in this thread. I didn't think there was anything illegal about having "words" with someone. The runner clearly started by assaulting him. It's clear that he was leaving the scene, and instead of being a man he grabs him from behind as he's leaving? I think we should have a poll just like the local radio show around here, "who's the D****E B*g"

If it were me though, I probably would've just kept on riding and THOUGHT about doing what the OP did...
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Is a bike considered a deadly weapon?

You know 200 years ago You could have challenged him to a dual.

Dirt Huffer
    The jogger started the "physical" altercation. The jogger is in the wrong.

As they say, "He who throws the first punch..."

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    The jogger started the "physical" altercation. The jogger is in the wrong.

As they say, "He who throws the first punch..."

We have yet to hear from the jogger. Just sayin. For all we know this conversation is taking place on the joggers forum with a slightly different slant.

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    We have yet to hear from the jogger. Just sayin. For all we know this conversation is taking place on the joggers forum with a slightly different slant.
    We likely never will hear from the jogger so we have to take the OP's word on it.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    We likely never will hear from the jogger so we have to take the OP's word on it.

You can take his word on it, I remain the skeptic.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You can take his word on it, I remain the skeptic.

/\ This, the whole thing...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I am embarrassed by being involved in this confrontation and did not tell anyone because yes I was the other party. So I posted it here. I deserve all negative reps.

Let me clear one thing. I did not stand over him and beat him down. He was laying on top of me and the bike pinning me down. So I pulled the bike to try to get up. He was still attached so I used the bike to knock him off. still couldn't get him off so I finally had to give him several kicks with the bottom of my foot to shove him off.

In hind sight I should have ridden away as I normally do. but stopped and words were exchanged then he threw me down. probably if he was not attached to the bike I would have just gotten up and ridden away, I was still in reaction mode trying to get away. I didn't feel bad about the incident after it happened I was feeling kinda good that I was not hurt a he received the worse of it. I am embarassed about the whole thing now. Hopefully this will never happen again.

I reserve the right to counter any assualt on my person.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I am embarrassed by being involved in this confrontation and did not tell anyone because yes I was the other party. So I posted it here. I deserve all negative reps.

Let me clear one thing. I did not stand over him and beat him down. He was laying on top of me and the bike pinning me down. So I pulled the bike to try to get up. He was still attached so I used the bike to knock him off. still couldn't get him off so I finally had to give him several kicks with the bottom of my foot to shove him off.

In hind sight I should have ridden away as I normally do. but stopped and words were exchanged then he threw me down. probably if he was not attached to the bike I would have just gotten up and ridden away, I was still in reaction mode trying to get away. I didn't feel bad about the incident after it happened I was feeling kinda good that I was not hurt a he received the worse of it. I am embarassed about the whole thing now. Hopefully this will never happen again.

The story evolves.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is my person.
    He's small.
    I reserve the right to counter any assault on him.

mtbr member
    Good for you! So you egg the guy on, he gets mad and knocks you down, and then claim you're just acting in "self defense" kicking and hitting him with a metal object, and feel good that you gave him better than he gave you. Ok, sounds like what I used to tell my mom when I'd pick on my little brothers until they would come after me, which I used as justification to hit them. But I was 12 yrs old at the time ...

Nothing really to add, except I love all the pictures, gifs, and all that people have to respond to these types of threads. Very entertaining!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    OP does have the right to defend himself against anyone physically attacking him. Everyone has a natural right to do so.

But there are always three sides to the story: this guy's story, that guy's story, and what actually happened. Unless there is a video of the incident, I'm reserving judgment of either party.

Example: I'm riding my road bike in the car lane downtown, trying to get out of the city proper so that I can actually ride. This car in back of me honks at me, because he wants to pass me, because my 22 MPH isn't fast enough for city driving. So I move farther into the lane in order to preclude any dangerous passes. My passive-aggressive maneuver works, and the guy merges into the left lane in order to pass. I then catch up to him at the next stoplight (completely ignoring his car), and another driver rolls down his window to congratulate me for asserting my rights as a cyclist.

My story is likely different from the first driver's story (the guy who honked), which is likely different still from the third guy's story (the guy who congratulated me).

As they say, history is the winner's account of events.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got one...
    Drunk dude at a Xmas party picking on me for no reason. Then talks smack about My girlfrend. He slaps me in the ear and face and pushes me around. 2 hours pass of me blowing it off and telling him to stop touching me. He does it again immediately after I said not to touch me (slaps me in the face) so I shatter a coffee mug on his head...

Ready... Go!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Fight or flight, you're choice. I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Lesson learned on both sides I'm guessing. Unless of course the jogger is posting over on joggerreview.com in the "What gun to carry while jogging" thread.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
    If u carried a gun you coulda shot him
    Just as I've always thought...People don't kill people, biker's who get attacked while clipped in kill people.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    The story evolves.......
    Actually, that's pretty much the same thing he said in the original post. Most of the shlit he's gotten in this thread has been from people who didn't comprehend that original post. Wether or not you talked smack *back* to a person, if they throw you to the ground, and pin you there with your bike, you have every right to hit them with the bike and kick them to get them off of you. According to the op, the jogger talked smack first. Verbally responding isn't the best reaction, but it's in no way illegal and it in no way justifies the runner assaulting him. Unless, of course, the op responded with phrases that could resonably have led the jogger to believe his life was now in danger.....

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Actually, that's pretty much the same thing he said in the original post. Most of the shlit he's gotten in this thread has been from people who didn't comprehend that original post. Wether or not you talked smack *back* to a person, if they throw you to the ground, and pin you there with your bike, you have every right to hit them with the bike and kick them to get them off of you. According to the op, the jogger talked smack first. Verbally responding isn't the best reaction, but it's in no way illegal and it in no way justifies the runner assaulting him. Unless, of course, the op responded with phrases that could resonably have led the jogger to believe his life was now in danger.....

+1

Pretty much how I read the original as well.

...but then again reading comprehension is notoriously low on empty-beer.
    People seem to read, then respond, instead of reading, comprehending, anaylzing then responding.

Obviously the best thing to have done was to continue to ride, ignoring the wanker. However, words were exchanged and the ensuing scuffle ensued.

I'm sorry, but if somebody throws me to the ground then all bets of further verbal discourse are pretty much null and void, until my personal safety is accounted for.

michael

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Good for you! So you egg the guy on, he gets mad and knocks you down, and then claim you're just acting in "self defense" kicking and hitting him with a metal object, and feel good that you gave him better than he gave you. Ok, sounds like what I used to tell my mom when I'd pick on my little brothers until they would come after me, which I used as justification to hit them. But I was 12 yrs old at the time ...

Nothing really to add...
    So who is wrong? ...or more wrong?

If the OP had been riding off the curb and caused a car to swerve and they got into an altercation over it and the driver came out on top what then is your comment to the biker?
    You will probably also chastise the biker for grabbing the driver.

So, while it's never clear cut, and who knows how they might react if this is not a regular occurrence, why chastise anyone for what was probably not a calculated response?

...and what if the jogger was really a bike thief with the intent of separating the OP from his bike? I'm sure the OP did not think to ask the jogger his intentions. It's a reaction. Most of us do not know what we would do in such a case. To berate someone as if we know better is wrong.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    So who is wrong? ...or more wrong?

If the OP had been riding off the curb and caused a car to swerve and they got into an altercation over it and the driver came out on top what then is your comment to the biker?
    You will probably also chastise the biker for grabbing the driver.

So, while it's never clear cut, and who knows how they might react if this is not a regular occurrence, why chastise anyone for what was probably not a calculated response?

...and what if the jogger was really a bike thief with the intent of separating the OP from his bike? I'm sure the OP did not think to ask the jogger his intentions. It's a reaction. Most of us do not know what we would do in such a case. To berate someone as if we know better is wrong.

-F
    Not "chastising" his actions, necessarily -- we've all gotten a little carried away, done things we maybe shouldn't have.

What I am criticizing a little bit is the fact that he is characterizing this as self defense, when by his own words, "egged the jogger on," and got in an altercation. Then he makes statements like "he was bleeding ...! Don't mess w/ mountain bikers. I will protect myself!" and "I will fight back when being assaulted" as though it was the jogger's fault.

Ummm, if one takes actions which are intended to, and do, cause a situation to escalate, he can hardly claim he was then assaulted, or had to fight in self defense. I would hope that a grownup could look at the OP's actions (in his own words) and realize it probably wasn't truly a self-defense scenario.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

is buachail foighneach me
    Not "chastising" his actions, necessarily -- we've all gotten a little carried away, done things we maybe shouldn't have.

What I am criticizing a little bit is the fact that he is characterizing this as self defense, when by his own words, "egged the jogger on," and got in an altercation. Then he makes statements like "he was bleeding ...! Don't mess w/ mountain bikers. I will protect myself!" and "I will fight back when being assaulted" as though it was the jogger's fault.

Ummm, if one takes actions which are intended to, and do, cause a situation to escalate, he can hardly claim he was then assaulted, or had to fight in self defense. I would hope that a grownup could look at the OP's actions (in his own words) and realize it probably wasn't truly a self-defense scenario.
    Order of events, according to the op:

Jogger attempted to jump out in front of him(which is technically jay-walking and illegal) without looking.

He alerted the jogger to his oncoming pressence for the joggers safety.

Jogger insulted him.

He "egged (the jogger) on".

Jogger assaulted him by tackling him.

He used kicks and his bike to get the jogger off of him and then left.

Sounds like self defense to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bingo.

If someone grabs me, jogger, biker, boss, coworker, neighbor, stranger, it's on.

If I was the OP, and the other dude was a biker, I would have used his bike to assault him, just so mine didn't get damaged.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ran the OPs story through the internet truthilizer program (a complex algorithm that automatically adjusts claims made on the internet to the most likely reality) and it turns out the "runner" was actually an old lady with a walker. He accidentally clipped the old lady's walker with his bike as she was crossing the road and he was running a red light. Both of them fell to the ground. The old lady apologized even though she was not at fault and then tried to help the rider to his feet. He then tried to hit her with his bike claiming she was trying to attack him. She blocked his bike with her walker, and he fell to the ground again. She apologized and tried to help him again, but he slapped her hand away, got on his bike, and rode home crying.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Order of events, according to the op:

Jogger attempted to jump out in front of him(which is technically jay-walking and illegal) without looking.

He alerted the jogger to his oncoming pressence for the joggers safety.
    With you so far..

Jogger insulted him.
    Jogger got spooked and yelled "Nice driving, you tool!"

He "egged (the jogger) on".
    OP did "What the hell, you want a piece of me or what? Shut the f..k up, you bikeless ****!" then switched to "yo momma" insults.

Jogger assaulted him by tackling him.
    Jogger don't like anyone talking smack about his momma.

He used kicks and his bike to get the jogger off of him and then left.
    Things turn ugly.

Sounds like self defense to me.
    Does it sound like self defense if the OP is the one doing the main part of the trash talking? Sure, the other guy threw the first punch, but just how much "egging" was going on from the OP before that happened?

To me it all depends on what kind of verbal exchange tool place before the jogger got physical. The jogger might have been an aggressive piece of work going apeshit over a short verbal warning. On the other hand the jogger might just have reacted with a yell of some sort, making the OP go nuts with profanity until the jogger had enough of it.

So it all depends on what kind of "egging" was going on in my opinion and we only know one side of the story.

Professional Crastinator

I read you but I totally disagree.

You can yell and scream all you want at someone - as long as you are not threatening them (which we do not know in this case and so cannot comment upon). If they decide to make it into a physical instead of verbal confrontation, they are the ones who escalated the situation. So who escalated the situation? Statements after the fact (like "he was bleeding ...! Don't mess w/ mountain bikers. I will protect myself!" and "I will fight back when being assaulted") are irrelevant.

I do not encourage fighting, but I also do not encourage nor accept giving way to the assertions or aggressions of others. Obviously (I think) there is a very thin - like razor thin - middle ground between the two. It is a very difficult, thin line on which to balance. That's why I give the benefit of the doubt to the OP.

-F

Stucco Bucket
    IBP12

In before page 12.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Dude you are the king. Don't ruin it by apologizing. You did what you did and don't need to explain why to anyone on this thread. Quit second guessing yourself, pat yourself on the back and go riding. Next time you see him let us know how it comes out

Bro Mountainbiker
    Pedestrians? I call em obstacles!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Attacked by a Runner

That is one I never heard of. Good going. I hope other members here at are inspired by reading your story.

mtbr member
    We had an incident on a local trail two years ago when a trail runner threw a shoulder into a female mtn biker, knocking her to the ground.
    Aggressive people are around. I'm glad the OP took care of business with the jogger.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    You know 200 years ago You could have challenged him to a dual.
    Most commonly referred to as a duel.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

SANCTUS
    I would say since he upped the ante by assaulting you, it seems you had the right to defend yourself.The law may have other concerns as in maybe you provoked him? did you approach him in a aggressive manner? did he approach you in a aggressive manner? any witnesses? a word of advice, its not worth being convicted of felony assault, misdemeanor battery can quickly evolve to a felony.I try to avoid trouble while on my bike to the best of my ability, someone would have to assault me before I would defend myself. If someone is my face and foaming at the mouth I would formally demand that they back away, if not its open season and the law would be on my side. I believe peds have the right of way? but then we have the occasional ped ******* who makes it a point to position themselves in a confrontational way what a world.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    You can yell and scream all you want at someone - as long as you are not threatening them (which we do not know in this case and so cannot comment upon). If they decide to make it into a physical instead of verbal confrontation, they are the ones who escalated the situation.
    So a guy can yell all sorts of nastiness about you, your mother, your kids and your dog and you will never be the first to throw a fist?

To me the important bit is who picked the fight. Almost every fight I've seen started out verbally until one part had enough and threw a fist. The important part to me isn't who got fed up with the trash talking first, but who turned an innocent situation into conflict in the first place.

If I walk up to you and say I don't like the color of your hat and start insulting you, you might punch me before I punch you but that doesn't change the fact that I was the one to walk up to you and pick the fight.

Lets say you accidentally step on my foot in a crowded place and I go "Yo, watch your steps, bigfoot". The situation can then play out in three ways:

A) You say "Sorry, dude", I say "No worries, mate" and that's it.

B) You say "Sorry, dude" and I start talking trash about your big feet, your small brain and your ugly girlfriend. That makes me the aggressor no matter who later decides to throw the first punch.

C) You turn around and say "Who are you calling bigfoot, pencildick?" and then continues to talk smack about my dog and my mother. That makes you the aggressor no matter who later throws the first punch.

As for the OP vs. the jogger, the story doesn't tell how it started, except the jogger yelled something uncalled for but that might just have been a "watch it, cyclegeek" for all we know. Who then started trash talking is yet to be known, and we'll probably never know that unless some witness steps forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    Good job..eff-whatever the nay sayers are saying.. if you dont defend yourself who's gonna do it for you?
    Obama?

High Desert MTBer
    There are a lot of different possible scenarios here as have been pointed out. None of us know what really happened. It's a good thing that the OP is here and able to post about it, and the story is not one that pro and anti gun people are using to illustrate their viewpoints.

It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Next time someones in my way i'm bike slappin them!

banned
    Mar 2010
    doesn't faster traffic yield to slower traffic where you live? On trails, bikes yield to hikers. What was the op doing riding off trails anyways? This should be on Road Bike Review forums.

mtbr member
    "Your Honor, I submit Prosecution Exhibit 1. This is an admission by the defendant in which he brags on a message board about brutally assaulting the victim in this case."

banned

pedal on

We the jury of MTBR find the OP, not guilty. Seeing how this is the only court that will ever hear such a case. Pedal on people, pedal on.

mtbr member
    It's a good thing neither you or the runner had a sword, otherwise, things would have turned rather quickly.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just want to find the car forum where the people riding by posted about how they were laughing their asses off as they watched a cyclist and runner flailing around in the road thinking they were in a fight.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    I feel bad that I laughed at this. I wouldn't have reacted the same way. Ignoring the walker would've been the best thing to do.

Jason
    It's all good until someone puts their hands on me. Yelling at me is one thing but if someone were to actually ever pull me off my bike... it's over. Gloves off!
    Jason

TRANCER
    This board is full of ****ing pussies
    Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm willing to bet it was mostly a "Watch where you're riding a**hat," from the runner. In my case, I probably would have just flipped him off and worried more about maintaining my momentum. However, the OP stopped and exchanged words. Probably not the smartest move, but hey, we've all made bad decisions. However, if the OP's story is correct, the moment he hopped on his bike to ride away, he was attempting to exit the situation without further incident. I'm no lawyer, but after that, the OP was no longer a threat to the runner and the runner initiated the incident. The OP has the right to defend himself until he can reasonably escape or there is no longer a perceived threat.

On the other hand, if he stood there chest-bumping and threatening the runner, he deserved to get thrown on his a*&.

To the OP, I understand not wanting to take crap from others. I really do. But, nothing good comes from a d*%-swinging contest. Next time, just suck it up, be the big man, and keep going. At the most, say something on the fly or just give him the finger.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You should have cocked you head back and gone into windmill wrist fighting mode. All the while dancing on clickity cleats....oh yeah let out high pitched squeals between windmill rotations ....scream like you mean it.

scared to post
    one word: Valium
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by legal alien View Post
    You should have cocked you head back and gone into windmill wrist fighting mode. All the while dancing on clickity cleats....oh yeah let out high pitched squeals between windmill rotations ....scream like you mean it.
    We have a winner!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30 View Post
    It's all good until someone puts their hands on me.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OnpkDWbeJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    If some fagg0t runner tried to sh!t talk me, I'd take my skirt off right there in the middle of the street so I could kick his p*ssy @ss

mtbr member
    He grabbed you. He deserved taken down just on general principle. Kicking a man when he's down is just plain GHETTO! Be better that that and offer to put him down again if he chooses to get back up! What ever happened to making someone cry "uncle"??
    Last edited by Badassbassangler; 02-05-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    Obama?
    Hey now, please refrain from taking my avatar in vain.

Emobama is non-confrontational and a bit aloof on his vintage Columbia, bespoked in skinny apparel and a Hello Kitty handlebar bell.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

All fat, all the time.
    Wow, got a neg rep for for suggesting to walk away & not egg on the "attacker".

Nice. If you are going to do that, at least have the balls to sign your neg rep comment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    now thats a dude i wanna go riding with, i hate the hikers on my local trails i wanna beat the **** out of them too. hehehehe

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The answer is both of you.....

To the obvious question of which of you was acting like a d-bag

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    So a guy can yell all sorts of nastiness about you, your mother, your kids and your dog and you will never be the first to throw a fist?

To me the important bit is who picked the fight. Almost every fight I've seen started out verbally until one part had enough and threw a fist. The important part to me isn't who got fed up with the trash talking first, but who turned an innocent situation into conflict in the first place.

If I walk up to you and say I don't like the color of your hat and start insulting you, you might punch me before I punch you but that doesn't change the fact that I was the one to walk up to you and pick the fight.

Lets say you accidentally step on my foot in a crowded place and I go "Yo, watch your steps, bigfoot". The situation can then play out in three ways:

A) You say "Sorry, dude", I say "No worries, mate" and that's it.

B) You say "Sorry, dude" and I start talking trash about your big feet, your small brain and your ugly girlfriend. That makes me the aggressor no matter who later decides to throw the first punch.

C) You turn around and say "Who are you calling bigfoot, pencildick?" and then continues to talk smack about my dog and my mother. That makes you the aggressor no matter who later throws the first punch.

As for the OP vs. the jogger, the story doesn't tell how it started, except the jogger yelled something uncalled for but that might just have been a "watch it, cyclegeek" for all we know. Who then started trash talking is yet to be known, and we'll probably never know that unless some witness steps forward.
    My point was that no matter who "escalated" it, no one can honestly make a judgement on who was right or more right. So our judgement is moot. We all can certainly have an opinion, but we don't have enough info to make any judgement. The OP should not feel too bad about it.

We should all be like this guy:

-F

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Wow, got a neg rep for for suggesting to walk away & not egg on the "attacker".

Nice. If you are going to do that, at least have the balls to sign your neg rep comment.
    People are all about being "macho".

If I mouthed off to every single person who cut me off while I'm driving/riding or did something rude to me I'd have a rap sheet longer than Santa's X-mas wishlist.

IMO sucking it up in a situation like the OP's and just taking a deep breath and moving along is not being a poo-see. You never know..... the guy who you mouthed off to might have an extremely short fuse and is a huge fan of the 2nd amendment, before you know it he'll whip out his CCW and failure drill your arse.... just for having the audacity to give him lip.

The sword you're carrying on your ride will do you absolutely no good.

mtbr member

Whoa!

I often ride alone in lion country. I'm Irish. I usually carry "Counter attack" grizzly pepper spray or a PPK.

If someone wants a fight, I'm outta there. "Self-defense" may be an appropriate legal defense, but it will be very expensive. Plus, there's the Karma aspect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0