mtbr member

The art of picking the perfect bicycle part!

Deciding that you're going to buy a certain part. Reading the reviews. Discussing it with you all here. Weighing the pros and cons. Deciding which color. Finding the best place to buy it at the best price. Trusting that you made the right choice. Getting it in the mail, putting it on the bike and using it for the first time. It's almost as fun as riding!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    As fun as riding? Not even close. I would call it frustrating. However it's worth every minute of your time when the part arrives in the mail!!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I ignore the majority of reviews. People who tend to write unsolicited reviews online are those who have had polarizing experiences with a given product, which usually tells me more about the reviewer than about the product.

When I need to buy something for my bike, I like to go into my LBS and buy it from their stock or ask them to order it from the QBP catalog. If I've found that I can get a better price for the given item online, I'll order from an established retailer (Jenson, Pricepoint, Amazon, etc) and I'll order from a well-known company. Generally, I end up buying from the LBS about half the time and online about half the time.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you really enjoy gear. That aspect of any sport or hobby has always been pretty cool to me as well. Didn't matter what it was, photography, kayaking, camping or cycling, I was into the gear. It does give you a nice diversion from the mundane aspects of your life. Just don't let it become bigger than the actual sport itself.

'11 Opus Strat
    I like reading reviews etc. But forums are a pain in the butt sometimes... At one point, you ask about a part and get a 3 page discussion on it and a ton of help.. or.. absolutely nothing, like when I was pondering about some tires. I seen a few people telling me go ask my LBS or the bike store in the are you will be riding, Agreed that is a good point.. But I came here to ask knowledgeable people so i don't have to go talk to stuck up bike stores... maybe that arrogance just goes with the cycling genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

Steep on the Cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    As fun as riding? Not even close. I would call it frustrating. However it's worth every minute of your time when the part arrives in the mail!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodyknee View Post
    Sounds like you really enjoy gear. That aspect of any sport or hobby has always been pretty cool to me as well. Didn't matter what it was, photography, kayaking, camping or cycling, I was into the gear. It does give you a nice diversion from the mundane aspects of your life. Just don't let it become bigger than the actual sport itself.
    I think the gear/shopping/deal scrounging is a way to fill in the gap when riding isn't possible, at least that's what it is to me.

If I've got 2 hours to kill, I'm going to the trail for a quickie, but if I've only got 15 minutes to kill, I'm going to read the forum, watch videos on youtube, or check the classifieds or deals sections of bike websites. "Window shopping", discount searching, and gear obsessing is a way of thinking about riding when I'm not able to ride.

I'd rather be on the trail, but if I can't, I'm probably thinking about what I can fix, upgrade, or tweak on my ride.

mtbr member
    I like making my bike my own. So I agree with the OP. a stock bike is nice, but it's always nice to add or change something that better suits my style and tastes.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Deciding that you're going to buy a certain part. Reading the reviews. Discussing it with you all here. Weighing the pros and cons. Deciding which color. Finding the best place to buy it at the best price. Trusting that you made the right choice. Getting it in the mail, putting it on the bike and using it for the first time. It's almost as fun as riding!
    I approach bike components like an engineer.
    I need a part - or sometime a whole pile of them.
    I have a budget.
    I have an intended use/application.
    I have an expected life span for the component(s).
    I have a worst case scenario/safety factor.

It is very rewarding to get it all together.

...especially if it's the right color!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member

The art of picking the perfect bicycle part!

I worked at a shop for a little while, I loved doing it from that aspect too. Finding the right product for the right budget with the right capabilities was fun for me. Especially for older bikes where the right part was a little harder to find. I really enjoyed pouring through the catalog and making sure the clamp diameter, top or bottom swing, double, triple, etc was right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I approach bike components like an engineer.
    I need a part - or sometime a whole pile of them.
    I have a budget.
    I have an intended use/application.
    I have an expected life span for the component(s).
    I have a worst case scenario/safety factor.

It is very rewarding to get it all together.

...especially if it's the right color!

-F

^ That's what I'm talkin' about man!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    My part picking approach is:
    I squeeze it
    smell it
    Shake it
    look for bruises
    ask the nearest woman if it looks ok

......wait that's fruit. My bad.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    My part picking approach is:
    I squeeze it
    smell it
    Shake it
    look for bruises
    ask the nearest woman if it looks ok

......wait that's fruit. My bad.
    You forgot to poke it. That's the funnest part man!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    You forgot to poke it. That's the funnest part man!
    The Woman or the fruit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    The Woman or the fruit?
    That all depends if you have access to a woman. If not fruit may be an option. Put it in the microwave to heat it up a little, not to much though.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I spend alot of time on the forums and usually get good ideas of what parts and accessories are genearlly pretty good and when I need something from the LBS or online, it makes shopping a lot easier.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    I love picking out new parts. The best are contact parts like tires, pedals, handlebars, seats etc. And I agree, sometimes getting those are just as fun as getting a new bike. Bling parts present a whole new problem. Bling parts much be shown off which means giving the bike a complete detailing so you can take a good pic and post it here.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!