mtbr member

Arm and Leg Warmers?

I'm looking to try out some arm and leg warmers this year, but i dont know which style to get.

they have polypro, thermafleece, wind/rain stopper, maybe others.....what's the best bang for the buck?

Any brands i should stay away from?

any opinions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    great question, i have been wondering the same thing. specialized had theirs on sale last week on their website, but sold out by the time i was ready to buy them.
    2007 Specialized Stumperjumper FSR Expert

wot no bike?

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by beer weasel
    great question, i have been wondering the same thing. specialized had theirs on sale last week on their website, but sold out by the time i was ready to buy them.
    Me too, I figured they must be great for when you're ride starts off cold and then warms up later (or vise-versa). My concern was whether or not any of the options suffered from sliding around or otherwise being uncomfortable. Any input?

-p

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have cheap Performance Bike brand ones and use them all the time. They are very light weight and easy to stow in my camelbak. I've never had any problem with them falling down or anything. The work great for summer mornings, but they aren't warm enough for really cold mornings, so this winter I'm considering getting a second pair that are a thicker so I can choose a thickness depending on how cold it is.

Hi!!!
    I have knee, leg, and arm warmers from REI. They've done great the past couple of years. I think it really boils down to how they fit on you and what your budget is. Just get out there and try 'em all on.

Right Coast
    I use the Performance brand arm warmers down to about 50 degrees and lower than that I use PI thermafleece warmers.

Once the daytime temps stay below 50 I switch to long sleeve jerseys.
    "Majority rule don't work in mental institutions"

mtbr member
    I'm spoiled. I have a set of Ibex merino wool arm and leg warmers. They aren't that light and they don't pack down really compact, and they have stringent wash/dry requirements, but they perform awesomely. The front of the knee warmers are woven with a nylon outside surface and the wool on the insde to better protect against wind. The arm warmers are just heavy wool. That plus a wool baselayer T shirt keeps me real cozy. When it gets colder, I bust out the wool long sleeve jersey and wind vest and I'm good for 20F. The best part about wool is that it doesn't stink because it's naturally anti-bacterial. I've been wearing my wool baselayer for a week know and it still has no smell, unlike my synthetic jersey which stinks after one half hour ride, my commute to work, and then suffer putting it back on for my commute home.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    I have some I got at the LBS on clearance this Spring - they're Nike brand and I love them. Perfect for cool mornings that turn into warm days or longer rides that start on the coast and end up in the hills
    lightweight and fit in the jersey pocket or camelback

mtbr member

Thanks

for the replies. Does the thermafleece breath very well? Will they be too hot to use when its not below say 50 - 40*?

Right Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    for the replies. Does the thermafleece breath very well? Will they be too hot to use when its not below say 50 - 40*?
    Over 50 might be pushing it IMO. Between 40-50 it will probably get hot if you are going on a long ride.

The beauty of arm warmers is if you get hot, just roll the sleeve down for a bit of fresh air. If you get cold you can roll the sleeve back up.
    "Majority rule don't work in mental institutions"

Certified Silly Bugger!
    I use the Netti brand fleece lined warmers in Tasmania, Australia where it gets pretty bloody cold. With a wind proof over the top i havent had any problems with cold or wet down to the coldest of about -2 Celsius
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Me too, I figured they must be great for when you're ride starts off cold and then warms up later (or vise-versa). My concern was whether or not any of the options suffered from sliding around or otherwise being uncomfortable. Any input?

-p
    I just picked up a pair of Pearl Izumis for my cool Fall morning commutes. I've only needed them a couple of times so far, but I'm glad I got them. They're synthetic with a thin fleece lining. They're perfectly comfortable other than feeling feel a little odd at first on the upper arms, but they don't cut off circulation or anything. Just get the right size - not too short or too loose. I got size Medium for my ~32" arm length.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I use my Nike soccer socks as they are reasonably windproof, breathe well, and are low maintainence. Since they can be rolled up over my knee to meet my riding shorts they offer full lower leg coverage when it's cold.

Their construction and materials are pretty much identical to the bike specific leg warmers the LBS sells at a fraction of the cost.

I can also wear them under my jeans in the winter instead of the thermals and easily remove them when I get off the bike and head indoors..
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    I like knee and leg warmers when it's cooler, but I've never used arm warmers much--which is a drag 'cause I lucked into some nice ones on tour a few years ago. (wool Swobo ones at a bike shop outside of Yellowstone) I find that if it's chilly enough that I want my arms covered, I usually want another layer anyway, so I usually wear a thin long sleeved layer under my short sleeved jersey. It's more of a pain to take off than arm warmers, of course, but I don't mind...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    I'm looking to try out some arm and leg warmers this year, but i dont know which style to get.

they have polypro, thermafleece, wind/rain stopper, maybe others.....what's the best bang for the buck?

Any brands i should stay away from?

any opinions would be appreciated.
    It's interesting, one thing roadies have figured out better than MTB'rs is how to dress for the ride. Arm, Leg/knee warmers and a wind vest are the three most versatile peices of clothing a cyclist can own. You can start in low 50 degree temps with this setup and gradually remove layers until 100 degrees and these articles of clothing weigh maybe 1/2lb total. I like Pearl Azumi Arm/leg warmers and Castelli wind vests.
    "Do not touch the trim"

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    It's interesting, one thing roadies have figured out better than MTB'rs is how to dress for the ride. Arm, Leg/knee warmers and a wind vest are the three most versatile peices of clothing a cyclist can own. You can start in low 50 degree temps with this setup and gradually remove layers until 100 degrees and these articles of clothing weigh maybe 1/2lb total. I like Pearl Azumi Arm/leg warmers and Castelli wind vests.
    So true, after all these years only now have I started thinking about arm/leg warmers, dispite the fact that I've always struggled with carrying an extra pull-over or sweating it out in my thermals once I or the temp warmed up. Then again, I'm the guy who, as a full-fingered glove wearer, snips the fingers off the glove as each finger wears through. :P Just put my order in at Nashbar for a full set of warmers (and new gloves!), my frugaility has gone too far!

-p

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    100% agreement except I ride in much colder conditions with these 3 and my wind breaker has zip off sleeves too. Basically from 32 (or 0 depending on where you live) on up I can ride. In a pinch, below freezing too.

Mine are all Pearl.

wot no bike?
    As I mentioned earlier I just put in an order at Nashbar for some of their arm and leg warmers. I *HOPE* the quantities they confirmed via email are in pairs and not as it reads (considering the entry for the gloves), otherwise I'm still going to be half cold:

NA-PARM-M NASHBAR POLYPRO ARM WARMERS Quantity: 1 EA
    NA-LEGP-M NASHBAR POLYPRO LEG WARMER Quantity: 1 EA
    AA-FHG-L-ST FOX HESH GLOVE Quantity: 1 PR

-p