mtbr member
    Nov 2006

We the people ... Anyone using the Forge Sawback 7xx??

I'm probably going to purcase the Sawback 7xx this weekend... I was wondering if anyone has any feedback that has purchased this bike? I've seen the thread about the 5xx(HT), but not much mention of the 7xx (FS). It appears from the site that the 5xx and 7xx have similar components...

The exceptions I found from this thread were:

Shimano M340 Performance technology components?
    shifters: Shimano 21-spd rapid-fire
    hubs: Shimano Hubs instead of no-name listed
    Crank: SR Suntour technology vs Truvatic ISOFlow, 175mm, replaceable steele rings, removeable chain guard
    saddle: WTB Rocket V vs. WTB Pure V
    KMC chain vs. Shimano CN-HG73

I'm not up on the component details, but these were copied from the Flash presentation at the forge website.

The first upgrade will be a rear shock(looks like the usual "fake" shock)...guess I'll check around to find out which design will fit...(looks like eyelet on one side and the T bar on the other from the pic)

Anyone using this bike that can relay any helpful information on it's performance, or actual component/parts included on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would wait for the 5xx to restock, the 7xx is very heavy [ 36 lbs ], and the components are much worse. They come with shimano Tourney deraillers while the 5xx comes with deore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I did find more info on the 7xx.... detailed specs
    19.5" frame, 31" stand over height(center of top bar to ground)
    36.5 lbs
    othe info in above link

The rear shock IS actually a shock, but an off-name brand, Kind Shock(weird name)
    --it's a KS291, detailed specs here...
    "The features of KS-290 and KS-291, itís a separated mixed oil and air designs with special patent. The main body has an internal, flexible body form. It can separate the elements of oil and air. The special piston construction allows this separation. It is economic type and duration in used. The KS-291 has adjustable rebound" from site

Anyone used/using this bike?? I just purchased one today...should get here next wednesday(11-8). I'll try to post some sort of review, prolly be somewhat biased though since the last bike I rode was ~10 yrs ago w/ no suspension at all costing prolly a whopping $80(or less). I'll do the best I can though, not too many technical trails I've found around columbia, sc yet. There is I think one in newberry some people enjoy, maybe I'll try that one in a couple weeks after I get used to the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How did you ever make out with the Forge Sawback? Target has since sold out on the model and will not be restocking it. Forge says an all new model is coming out mid-April.

Anyway, how is yours holding up?
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love the bike, it works great for me here in SC... I don't do anything hardcore or nothing but attempt to now and then. It's really a huge leap over general dept store bikes I've ridden. I'd highly recommend it to anyone for a beginner bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I own a 7xx too... rear shock broke :(

Bought it last year after summer. I love the bike, its perfect for a beginner, with full suspension and disc brakes.

However I have had some trouble with it; fortunately Forge is awesome at customer service.

The biggest problem (recent) is that the rear shock, the KS-291.... BROKE, yes it broke, I was riding along the LA beach front and all of a sudden I feel as if riding a pogo stick, turns out the shock absorver, the stem, broke. Fortunately Forge has replaced it and mailed it within less than a week.

I just did the Rosarito-Ensenada 50 mile ride last week and all was fine

Other than that I've had a few nuisances but everytime Forge has been great at getting back to me by phone and helping out.

Even though I had the rear shock problem I still recommend this bike for beginner to mid. The paint job is really nice, black pearl although it scratches easily. If you buy one, be careful when unpacking and maybe leave it out in the sun for a day or so.

I wish Forge offered a model that had the 5xx components with the 7xx frame and full suspension, maybe a 9xx?

mtbr member

2007 7xx

I've just purchased a 2007 7xx. Just like most others on this thread, the box arrived from UPS, torn open in several places and was generally "BEAT to HELL" !!....Lots of loose parts floating around inside the box... However, the driver was nice enough to stay around while I pulled it from the mess to inspect it. There were a few small scuffs on the frame, crankset, and stem that could probably be touched up with some paint. And after assembly I am also missing a couple of small bolts/nuts. The graphics were a little sloppy in a couple area's on the lower rear section, but not a show stopper. So aside from the chronic shipping issues with this bike, overall I'm still satisfied with the value vs. performance & would likely recommend it to others. My 7xx weighs in at 34 pds fully assembled. I'm looking to change out the Kenda Krusher tires to Kozmic lites, and the fixed stem to something shorter with a higher angle to alleviate so much over-reach. Oh yeah, the handlebars on the 7xx are surprisingly oversized at 31.8mm for anyone thinking of purchasing this model, so you'll have to order the same in a replacement stem if you decide to change it. Good luck to all with shipping!
    Last edited by lvcta; 07-21-2007 at 05:31 PM.

mtbr member
    I know this is a old thread but im looking at getting a forge sawback 7xx and would someone who has a 7xx like to comment on what they think, quality, reliability and thoughts wuld be extreml helpful

Also if you could post some pictures beacuse all i could find was the sandard internet whtie background, manufctures pictures... and i would like to see real ppictures befoer i purchase the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JO-B
    I know this is a old thread but im looking at getting a forge sawback 7xx and would someone who has a 7xx like to comment on what they think, quality, reliability and thoughts wuld be extreml helpful

Also if you could post some pictures beacuse all i could find was the sandard internet whtie background, manufctures pictures... and i would like to see real ppictures befoer i purchase the bike
    Do yourself a favor and look at other bikes. The price for a full suspension bike may be tempting, but that is not going to perform well. That bike has a no-name rear shock which is not going to work well to control pedal-bob on that single-pivot rear suspension design. To make the rear suspension work decently, you will need to spend a couple hundred bucks for a decent replacement shock.

The bike also has cheapo components. They spec the rear hub with a 7 speed thread-on freewheel rather than a cassette type hub with free-hub body that accepts 8 or 9 speed cassettes. This bike's hub is very cheap and more prone to bending the axle due to the placement of the bearings. You will also have a more difficult time finding replacement parts. I haven't see too many disc compatible rear hubs that use a thread-on freewheel made for multiple speeds.

If you are on a budget and have to have a new bike, it might be better to stick with a hardtail. You get a lot better, more trail-worthy components for the money. If you are worried about a rough ride, get a suspension seatpost like a Cane Creek Thudbuster.
    Get on your bikes and ride!