Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

anyone really like their Giro E2 or Animas?

New helmet time and the two I've narrowed it down to are the Giro E2 and Animas. I currently have an older Exodus that I love. I've found both for the same price so that isn't an issue, but what are some of the things you love about your lid? What's most important to me is ventilation. It's why I love the Exodus so much. Thanks......Pathfinder

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder
    New helmet time and the two I've narrowed it down to are the Giro E2 and Animas. I currently have an older Exodus that I love. I've found both for the same price so that isn't an issue, but what are some of the things you love about your lid? What's most important to me is ventilation. It's why I love the Exodus so much. Thanks......Pathfinder
    I also rode with an Exodus for a couple years before I cracked it. I replaced it with another Exodus. Then, I bought an E2 and it is just as nice as the Exodus, but better It really is a nice helmet...but, I recently cracked it.

I was fortunate that I received my new Rudy Project Ayron shortly after cracking my E2. The Rudy is a pretty nice helmet. I particularly like the 360-degree Comfort Head Ring and Smart Lock System, which combine to create a very secure and solid fit, without being too tight. I'd say it fits slightly smaller than an E2, but a little nicer. The E2 has a much more refined look and feel to it, whereas, the Rudy is a little rough around the edges. By that, I mean that there are some slight cosmetic issues with the Rudy whereas, the E2 is pretty much perfect. All in all, I've been very happy with my Giros (Exodus and E2) and now my Rudy. Best thing I can recommend is to try a helmet on first. Everyone has a differently shaped head, so some helmets fit whereas, others do not.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Do It Yourself
    Giro has changed there sizing a couple times since the Exodus days. They have even changed again since I bought my 2003 E2. My old E2 was a large but now I can fit a 2004/2005 medium. Moral of the story is don't buy a helmet without trying it on.
    Long Live Long Rides

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I ran an animas for a while before I cracked it in a spill........very good airflow, almost too good b/c when you are moving at high speeds it gets a little loud. That being said......the noise is worth the airflow.

Too bad Giro's crash replacement policy sucks so bad.......

I went from Exodus to E2. Airflow is great, fit is better, and it's very light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had an E2 and will I liked it, it never quite fit my head the way I would have liked. This year, I purchased a Xen and I can't believe how much more comfortable and form-fitting the Xen feels as compared to the E2...however, helmets are one of those things that are different for each rider; just depends on the shape of your melon.

mtbr member
    I too had an E2 but switched to the Xen this year, most comfortable helmet I've ever owned, and yes the sizes have changed. Now I wear a med. instead of a large, try one on...
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Too bad Giro's crash replacement policy sucks so bad.......
    Why do you say that? I recently crashed a brand new Giro XEN which I only got this past summer.. Sent it in to the distributors and received a new one in less than a week. It only cost me 33.3% of retail price. I think that is pretty good!

Ronnie.

mtbr member

Animas

I have an Animas. It has great airflow and the fit is good. The only negative is that it seems to pool the sweat then dump copious amounts on my glasses.

I believe helmets are like saddles - Everyone's head/ass is a little different so trial and error will be your best bet.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Why do you say that? I recently crashed a brand new Giro XEN which I only got this past summer.. Sent it in to the distributors and received a new one in less than a week. It only cost me 33.3% of retail price. I think that is pretty good!

Ronnie.
    Giro does 30% off MSRP for crash replacement...........you can buy one cheaper than that brand new off Price Point without having to ship your helmet back to Giro and write them a detailed letter about how it broke. That's a pretty crappy replacement policy. What they should do is dealer cost minus 10%.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    Giro does 30% off MSRP for crash replacement...........you can buy one cheaper than that brand new off Price Point without having to ship your helmet back to Giro and write them a detailed letter about how it broke. That's a pretty crappy replacement policy. What they should do is dealer cost minus 10%.
    That's been my experience, too. I've never warrantied a blown Giro because the cost of getting it warrantied exceeds the cost of me buying a new one from the US....go figure, eh?
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Team Sanchez
    I have an E-2 from 2001 that I use for Road riding now, and picked up a Xen last year for mountain. The Xen has got to be the best helmet out there comfortwise. The E-2 is lighter however, and probably breathes a little better, the Xen offers better protection.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    FIT! FIT! FIT! is most important. Then ventilation. If the helmet does not fit well it can not protect correctly.
    Most Giros do not fit me at all. The Semi is the exception and it is the helmet I wear the most.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'll second that..

[QUOTE=CalEpic]I have an Animas. It has great airflow and the fit is good. The only negative is that it seems to pool the sweat then dump copious amounts on my glasses.
    QUOTE]

The Animas' pads are a weak link. I prefer the polarfleece ones as opposed to the cloth-covered foam ones. Easily replaced, though.

I rode with an Exodus for a while and liked the flow. I didnt like the weight and bulk (the rear of the helmet especially) The Animas is significantly less bulky in the back. More like a Penelope Cruz to the Exodus' J-Lo.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Seat Band

Have you tried riding with some form of a sweat band?

I always ride with a cotton bandanaa on. I tried riding a few weeks ago with out it and had to put it on within the first half hour. Makes things a bit hotter than with out but I personally can't stand all the sweat on my face and inside of my glasses.

Do people have a prefered sweat band product other than a cotton bandanna?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a 04 Animas and like it. I get solid airflow with a tight fit. I dont have any sweat pooling issues as stated above. It is so light and venty I forget I am wearing it. Until I get slapped silly in the head from a tree branch. Later.

mtbr member
    May 2004

seems people love Zen

I really like the Zen helmet also, however I don't think that helmet has enough ventilation for me. My sis actually has a Zen and loves it, but she's in phenomenal shape and I think handles the heat better. Whoever wrote fit is more important, I agree, the E2 and Animas fit me the best in the LBS, I was curious if there were any differences in air flow between the two or any quirks like the sweat pooling issue with the Animas. That would definitely be a problem for me since I wear contacts and sweat in the eyes is a problem for me. So I guess I would be leaning toward the E2 now. One thing I like about both helmets is they both look fast sitting still. I know... don't choose one on looks, I just thought I'd throw that in.

Thanks for all the replies! Looking forward to more...Path

WWYD?

I'm on my second E2...

I have a large head, 7 3/4 inch (more brains) and the Giro helmets are the only ones that fit me. And they fit and ride great.

One complaint; the E2 polarfleece straps come loose after a year and I've tried hot glue and they still loosen up. I'm trying staples next. My Eclipse '04 uses a new grommet attachment, seems Giro has seen the problem too.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    I like my E2 a lot. I like that is has lots of vents and is pretty light weight. It doesn't hurt that I was able to get it new for less then $80 at Jenson a few months back. I started looking at the E2 when I noticed lots of other riders with the same helmet on the trail. I am happy with my purchase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Idea! XEN is Amazing

Hey, I recently replaced my E2 with a XEN, the xen is the most comfortable helmet I've ever warn. It weighs a little more than an E2, but it offers superior protection, more emphasis on strength and added durability, as opposed to a super light XC race helmet like the E2. XEN is helmet designed for a rider that wants light weight, and superior coverage in an EPS style helmet with a fused shell, as opposed to a heavy-non-breathable skateboard/BMX style helmet.
    All highend giro helmets also use cool max, padding inside to help wick sweat away too....try on the helmet that fits the best, that's the safest and best one for you!

Slowest Rider

Xen good, but issues

With Xen I finally found a helmet with a decent size adjustable visor that matches the color of the helmet. It also looked and fit well, so I thought.

The L was slightly loose but the M was too tight. So I went with the L figuring I'd add some thicker pads as typical in adjusting helmets. Well, the Xen doesn't have thicker pads. Furthermore, the L and XL are the same helmet, so the Large is a little larger than normal and can't be adjusted smaller!

The pads are very thin, and I get sweat running down into my face, burning my eyes, that I didn't get with other helmets. I wrote to Giro and asked for thicker replacement pads. But they just sent the same thin ones, and said that's all they had, deal with it!

I looked around for thicker pads that I could use from other helmets. But I finally found a solution at a LBS. They suggested I use a skull cap. It would wick sweat away from my forehead without being too hot. It would also take some space and help adjust the helmet. This indeed did the trick. I find the skull cap also helps to keep me from getting helment hair, you know where you have hair stubs in each place the helmet has a hole. The skull cap reduces ventillation slightly, but I find the new helments have too much for me anyway.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a XEN special edition 05

Best helmet to date. Second best King Cobra from Specialized.
    Try and find yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'm on my 3rd or 4th E2 and have had zero problems. It's all how it fits your melon.

bang
    i've got the animas. i think it looks better than the e2, and it costs less also. you can find the animas for 50-55 if you look around, and even less if you have a discount coupon.

Bike to the Bone...
    I bought the Animas. I think the E2 looked better, but the Animas fit better on me. It's just a matter of fit and taste. Try them both and see how they fit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast