mtbr member
    Apr 2010

anyone own crank bros - mallet 2 pedals?

I just bought the mallet 1s and realized they do not have the traction pins on the platform area.

I am wondering if its worth returning them for the mallet 2s for the sake of the platform pins, for wearing non clip in pedals.
    The clip in part sticks out enough that i wonder if you can even get a good grip on the pins with a regular shoe.

Can anyone speak from experience?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm riding Mallet 3's and it's my first set of clipless. Works well for me since I still ride some sections unclipped and using tennis shoes around the neighborhood. I can tell the pins work by what the bottom of my shoes look like (all chewed up). You do have to use less than optimal foot position unclipped though or they'll clip in when you don't want to. It's not a huge issue and at least my feet stays on the pedal even if I choose not to clip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have been using them for a couple years and I love them . Not great for riding uncliped though but the pins are very useful and help with traction when not clipped in. Riding around with normal shoes can be done but sucks the clip in mechanism sticks up to far

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The pins do help when you just need to unclip for a second while riding but don't plan on using them much with normal shoes

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just won a set on ebay for 40 bucks so I will let you know a couple days after I get em.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

The perfessor
    yepper, riding with the same here........its nice if I come unclipped going uphill to be able to get my feet spinning whether I've gotten my feet reclipped or not........that said, I bought my mallet 3s with the idea that the points can be either exposed or left in, depending on the shoes I am wearing......I'd rather have them..........
    Quote Originally Posted by willembad View Post
    I'm riding Mallet 3's and it's my first set of clipless. Works well for me since I still ride some sections unclipped and using tennis shoes around the neighborhood. I can tell the pins work by what the bottom of my shoes look like (all chewed up). You do have to use less than optimal foot position unclipped though or they'll clip in when you don't want to. It's not a huge issue and at least my feet stays on the pedal even if I choose not to clip.
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

Ride mallets as well.

They work well as a big fat platform for you to mash a few times while clipping in. Getting going is easy.

They suck as flats, dont bother trying to use them that way.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

ENDO!!!
    I ride mallets as well, good pedal for riding clipped in and having that platform to stand on to get going or to unclip for a sketchy section. The only riding I do without clipless shoes are when I am tooling around the neighborhood
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    They suck as flats, dont bother trying to use them that way.
    Could you elaborate on why they suck as flats? I see that spring is sticking but that doesn't look to be much above the surface...