mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Anyone know of alternative to Met RX for meal replacememnt....??

I used Met-RX Vanilla with ICE and a banana or two+Blender=Tasty Meal

I would like to start using some Met-RX shakes again, but.... I'm wondering if their is any other MR powder with the same great taste of mt RX, but with more protein AND some carbs. I don't want to totally deprive myself of carbs, or else I'll prolly end up pigging out on crap food at the end of the day. I'm not thinking of doing a comprehensive Diet right now. I'd just like to get a complete nutrition in the AM, and quick/easy/tast.

If anyone has any links, please share.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey,

I have been using protein shakes for a couple of years now...I've gone through almost everything.

EAS, GNC, BODYTECH, Generic crap... For the past 7 months I've been using the stuff called ON (optimum nutrition).

It has (per scoop)

110 cals
    23 g of protein
    3 g of carbs
    1.5 g of fat

And to get some extra carbs, I fill up with 1% Milk (~16oz per two scoops). I use the double chocolate flavor and it is the best tasting protein shake I have ever had. They also have strawberry, vanilla, cookies and cream, and chocolate mint.

Try looking at www.bodybuilding.com for info on how to order.

mtbr member
    Check out Champion Nutrition. They have some good stuff designed for endurance athletes. They have this thing called the system. Basically it's a sort of kit that you use before, during and after an event or training.
    I like to ride bikes.

made in Oregon
    I agree on the Optimum Nutrition, great taste and value. Try taking some raw oatmeal and grinding it up in a coffee bean grinder and add it to the shake with some milk. Mix it in a blender and add a banana or some natural peanut butter.
    Nathan
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

EAS Myoplex or Labrada Nutrition..

are the 2 best IIMO and also contain what they say. Champion Nutrition is also not bad.
    But Again personally I would stick with the above mentioned or Met-Rx. Met-Rx is the original and best made/fromual on the market.
    BTW, I sold this stuff and supplements for 2+ yrs.

Stay away from Optimum Nurition. Bad products and DO NOT contain what they say.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Do It Yourself
    Protein Factory can mix you up some better tasting meal replacement for MUCH less. I would recommend something with essential fatty acids in addition to the standard protein and carbs mix.

http://www.proteinfactory.com/store/
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Protein Factory can mix you up some better tasting meal replacement for MUCH less. I would recommend something with essential fatty acids in addition to the standard protein and carbs mix.

http://www.proteinfactory.com/store/
    I'm actually leaning towards MetRx again. It has to taste Decent-Good. And MetRx def. fills that category. BUT I need around 20+ carbs per packet. then I add skim or 1% and a banana or two if I'm really craving a banana. Thats prolly 450-600 Calories for breakfast, and complete nutrition.

Then during the day I'll snack on fruit and have a sensible lunch and Dinner. But I'm not going to go all Crazy about this. I'll eat a dinner I like one in a while, and not worry if it 'fits into my plan.' Doing this ensures myself I'll resist the temptation to gorge myself before bed....(I hope...hehe)

Thanks guys.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yeah I was partial to met rx myself. Lost weight while stationed at Hood. Still though subscribed to a yo yo trend w/ the weight.

While in Iraq decided enough was enough. 200 to 185 mid tour--the 185 is where I usually start gaining again. This time though the last 45 days i managed to drop another 10 pounds--how? Cutting way back on exercising--which tempered the appetite by doing so. Enough food to cover the bottom of the plate and not heaped high. Maybe a salad--some fresh fruit rather than bad snacks. And if hungry between meals one double choc chip harvest power bar---yum--satisfied the craving for yucky sweet stuff.

Good luck on a quick nutritiuos source of calories for the morning that you can stick with. Met rx was never cheap.

Lucifer rides an mtb

2nd EAS Myoplex

My son is asst. mgr. at a GNC store and I go to the "Arnold Classic" with him every spring... you'll have to trust me when I say I have tried every shake and protien bar that's been on the market. There seem to be 3 key factors to shakes: nutrients, taste, and consistency. A lot of companies will give you 2 of 3, MetRx happens to be one of the brands that has all 3 nailed but, over the past couple of years, it has become harder to find the specific formula you want (hi vs. low carb, amt. of protein, additives like creatine, etc.).

Mostly due to availability problems, I switched to EAS Myoplex last year. They have the same basic mix of flavors and they are very good. I would give EAS a slight edge on consistency because they drind their powder very fine and it gives the shake a silky consistency. Some of the MetRx formulas were a bit too "chewy" and seemed to be a bit rougher on the digestive system. Since I already eat a carb-rich diet, I don't need any extra from my MR shake - for breakfastm use the Myoplex light formula which comes in at: 180 cal./24 gr. protein/2 gr. fat/17gr carbs (low in the sugar alcohol dept.). At night, after rides, I usually drink a "carb-sense" Myoplex before dinner so that I don't double-up on carbs.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have used Prolab's Lean Mass Matrix in the past. It tastes pretty good and mixed really well.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I haven't used either in years but way back when, I really liked EAS Myoplex and Met-Rx. After using Met-Rx for a couple of years I switched to the EAS stuff as I got better deals on it. As a single guy who lifted a lot and didn't cook, it was great stuff. Now that I'm married to a vegetarian who cools like crazy and don't lift at all, it would be wasted on me.

mtbr member
    I never understood the need for meal replacement supplements. So to answer the question as to alternatives to a meal replacement shake, my answer is "How about a real meal?".

mtbr member
    Wow apparently my lst post was a spam or somethin..(got deleted). I got a license and sell Optimum or On (same company) supplements for cheaper than you can get anywhere else. 5lb of 100%whey for $32.50($45 @GNC) got more prices, If anyone is interested mail me regalzack@yahoo.com
    sorry I am not tryin' to spam just tryin to help out.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    although your post did not say you were trying to save money..that is my motivation for this product:Bucket o meal replacement
    Tastes great and comes in a 5 gallon bucket. I drink one in the morning and another prior to my workouts on weight training days.
    Last edited by bghtn; 02-23-2005 at 04:46 AM. Reason: I screwed up the hyperlink

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guital2
    Wow apparently my lst post was a spam or somethin..(got deleted). I got a license and sell Optimum or On (same company) supplements for cheaper than you can get anywhere else. 5lb of 100%whey for $32.50($45 @GNC) got more prices, If anyone is interested mail me regalzack@yahoo.com
    sorry I am not tryin' to spam just tryin to help out.
    Thanks

I like the Optimum stuff the best. However it is much cheaper than listed above at allstarhealth.com. They also have great service and provided shipping details, etc. $32.50 is not a great price. If the shipping is free than it's average. Look around.

I think picking a powder is like the chevy/ford thing. Good luck.