mtbr member

Anyone ever use the forte carve SPD pedals?

(the performance bike house brand)
    hey're usually about 75 bucks, but pop up for 35 on occasion

they look good. really good actually! they had them on the wall next to the xtr pedals, and the forte pedals looked like they almost had a better finish quality. sealed bearings too, a few grams lighter than xtr.

the cleat mounts arent identical to spd, so its not a 100% knockoff. im curious how well the retension system works on forte pedals? they're really temping, for the price, weight, and appearance.

all my bikes have shimano spd pedals now, but one set is busted and needs replacement..

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    (the performance bike house brand)
    hey're usually about 75 bucks, but pop up for 35 on occasion

they look good. really good actually! they had them on the wall next to the xtr pedals, and the forte pedals looked like they almost had a better finish quality. sealed bearings too, a few grams lighter than xtr.

the cleat mounts arent identical to spd, so its not a 100% knockoff. im curious how well the retension system works on forte pedals? they're really temping, for the price, weight, and appearance.

all my bikes have shimano spd pedals now, but one set is busted and needs replacement..
    If they're like their mtb shoes, they'll be top-notch.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just bought a pair too. Was wavering between the XT, M540, or Forte Carves. I haven't actually installed them yet, but will after this weeks race.

I've been running old SPD 505s for about 3 years and they have taken a BEATING, so I really hope that these will do the same.

One spot that looks weak and worries me is actually not shown in the photo above. Take a look at the break between the formed piece of metal where the front of the cleat clips in. Seems that it would tend to bend more since it's not a solid piece.

That's all I've got. I'll report back after I've run them for a while or returned them.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've ran them for years without any problems. I have 540's on another bike and it's hard to believe that the Carves have had more use and performed just as well for less than half the money. I actually have them on 2 bikes now and I got a buddy to give them a try when he needed pedals. He hasn't had any problems either.

To top off how they work they're also lighter than pedals costing 3x's as much!

I did see some Xpedo M-Force pedals in a magazine that look similar and weight about the same. I think the Forte's could be made on the same assembly line.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I was given a set a while back and I like them.

keeping it dirty
    Interesting.. I was going to buy some M540 pedals for my bike and the GF's bike but these sound pretty good too

keeping it dirty
    As a noob, I have a possibly dumb question. If I get these pedals and only one pair of shoes, would I be required to stick with Forte pedals for a road bike in the future (if I want to keep the same cleats/shoes)? In other words, will the cleats with this pedal be compatible with Forte road pedals, and/or Shimano SPD road/mountain pedals?

mtbr member
    they use shimanos SPD cleat.. so any shimano or knockoff spd pedal works.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I use the same cleats with the forte's and my SPD's.

Former Bike Wrench
    They're Wellgo WO-1's and you can get them even cheaper from Price Point

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/181...less-Pedal.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    They're Wellgo WO-1's and you can get them even cheaper from Price Point

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/181...less-Pedal.htm
    I think they are the same too; however, you can get them for approx the same price with the consistent 10% at Performance + the team 10% back, yet the one advantage I see by buying local is that when I bought them they said to bring them back if I had any issues. Easy returns is sometimes worth an extra dollar or two.

Both get pretty good reviews:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How long have these pedals been on the market?

mtbr member
    I am running those, just got them. I have ridden SPDs for over 15 years without a single issue, these were just a cheap, light, option so I picked them up b/c mine were starting to get so loose (15 years is a long time on a pair of pedals!). I have ridden the Carves twice and they work just like my old SPDs, GREAT!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i'm gonna have to try an pair out... good heads up guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've been riding and racing on mine since about 4/2010. Been solid.

Stiff yet compliant
    I tried a pair but didn't like them. The problem was the retention bars are connected on both sides of the pedal so a rock strike can release your shoe the same way an Egg Beater will. If you don't get a lot of pedal strikes they may work great, but they didn't work for me in the terrain I usually ride in.

There is one bushing and one tiny bearing per pedal so long term durability could be a question mark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting post to find at this moment. I just came up stairs from the basement workshop having just disassembled my Forte Carve pedals.

I've had these pedals for about five years now. For the first three years they were used on my cross bike and for the past two years they have been used on my mountain bikes. They have been perfect for me. No issues.

In the past week I had my mtb bike in the work stand and I reached out and spun a pedal as I walked by. I unexpectedly heard a squealing sound. The pedal sounded dry, which was not terribly surprising because I've never re-greased the spindles.

As Moustache says, there is only one bearing in the pedal. It is at the outside of the pedal. The main support comes from a wide bushing. I was kind of surprised to find the bushing instead of a needle bearing, but it obviously works and holds up pretty well. I should've pulled the spindles to grease them sooner, as a PM item.

FYI, I bought a second pair last year when I bought a new bike. I recommend these pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever use the forte carve SPD pedals?-3.jpg  

Anyone ever use the forte carve SPD pedals?-2.jpg  

Anyone ever use the forte carve SPD pedals?-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbien View Post
    I just came up stairs from the basement workshop having just disassembled my Forte Carve pedals....
    GREAT post, especially the dis-assembly photos. I'll now be doing some PM on mine soon. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey vitiate, some extra info for you...

You will need a 6mm hex wrench to remove the cover on the outboard side of the pedal body. Once removed you will need an 11/32" socket (yes, I'm pretty sure it's a standard size not a metric size) to remove the nut that threads onto the spindle. The driveside pedal is reverse thread, the left side pedal is standard.

If you want to better clean the bushing, pry out the seal with a small scredriver. It's shown lying between the pedal body and spindle in my images.

Like I said, I just came up from the basement so it's all fresh in my head.

Stiff yet compliant
    You can modify the pedal for easier maintenance. Just remove both seals from the bearing and reassemble. To re-lube the pedal just remove the end cap and pack in some grease. When you thread the cap back in it will push the grease through the pedal body.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been using them for the last 5 years. Have worked great for me. I absolutely love them, and not spending an arm and a leg for them is even better.