mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Anyone bought SYUN-LP pedals ?

Looking for some bigger pedals and I liked the HT EVO pedals but they're out of my price range for the moment.
    However I found SYUN-LP pedals on ali and ebay and they seem to copy designs from HT, VP, and others.

I like the deign of this one, but no clue if I would be wasting my oney.
    SYUN LP aluminum body super light thin MTB BMX DH down hill platform bicycle pedal-in Bicycle Pedal from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pol4k View Post
    Looking for some bigger pedals and I liked the HT EVO pedals but they're out of my price range for the moment.
    However I found SYUN-LP pedals on ali and ebay and they seem to copy designs from HT, VP, and others.

I like the deign of this one, but no clue if I would be wasting my oney.
    SYUN LP aluminum body super light thin MTB BMX DH down hill platform bicycle pedal-in Bicycle Pedal from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Hi there. I have also purchased these pedals. They are quite large 9cm x 10cm, carry many pins that are interchangeable, weighing 320 grams and the price 22 euros.
    I think they are the best around "price weight and dimensions"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I bought this pedals SYUN-LP Different from those that have bought your.cost only 22 euros and I like because they have many pins free shipping!Bicycle pedal , CNC MACHINED CRMO axle , CNC machined aluminum, LSL&SEALED BEARING-in Bicycle Pedal from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

No good SYUN-LP Pedals - Crap on Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 727 View Post
    I bought this pedals SYUN-LP Different from those that have bought your.cost only 22 euros and I like because they have many pins free shipping!Bicycle pedal , CNC MACHINED CRMO axle , CNC machined aluminum, LSL&SEALED BEARING-in Bicycle Pedal from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    I ordered a set of SYUN-LP 5700 series pedals a couple years ago. All seemed fine until yesterday when one of the axles snapped off. Fortunately, it was not under heavy load at the time - but what the break revealed was interesting: The Cro-Mo "Steel" axle turned out to be some sort of sheath (plated copper?) around a pot-metal core.

I'm following up now to find out whether these were counterfeit parts or the product of deceptive advertising and bad design - but in the meantime, here's a picture of the broken pieces so you can draw your own conclusions. You'll note the piece on the right has a copper color that was exposed when I used a Vise-grip to remove the piece from the crank arm and it scraped off a bit of the plating.

BTW, my bike is over 45 years old and in that period, no other part has had such a short service life except consumables (tires, inner tubes). Based on my experience I would say DO NOT BUY! These are DANGEROUS. I shudder to think what might have happened if the axle had broken at speed when I was bearing down hard on it. If all Syun-LP products are this bad, the sooner they go out of business, the better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone bought SYUN-LP pedals  ?-img_20161125_182505906_hdr.jpg  

since 4/10/2009
    wait...you bought something from aliexpress and you didn't expect a piece of garbage?

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    wait...you bought something from aliexpress and you didn't expect a piece of garbage?
    And over 2k views?

Weird.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Anything out of China is "buyer beware".

For the price of those pedals, I'd go with a Wellgo MG-5 from a reputable dealer or website. But that's just me.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

It's all from China...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yes, I am aware the problem exists. I've made over 200 purchases on aliexpress. Of those, perhaps half a dozen have been "garbage". But the truth is, much of manufacturing in America has been abandoned and replaced by Chinese imports. Most are of acceptable quality. Some are crap. In this particular case, it appears that the fundamental design was flawed. The spindle doesn't even extend far enough to fully support the pedal - never mind that the material it is made of appears to be crap.

I'd say, on average, for most of my purchases, I save anywhere from 50% to 90% on aliexpress purchases. A lot of what I buy is electronics. Were I to buy the same part number from a US source, it would more than likely come from the same factory in china - but at a cost that was 2 to 10 times a high. Just for comparison, I recently ordered 100 Shottky Diodes. The cost through aliexpress was $1.20. The cost through an American source would have been $43 plus shipping. I buy microcontrollers. Through aliexpress about 30 cents each in quantity 20. Through US sources: 54 cents each plus shipping. 20 super-capacitors: US price, $1.69 each plus shipping. Aliexpress price? 19 cents each - shipping included.

So clearly, even with the "crap" I come out WAY ahead on price. But that doesn't mean you don't let other people know when you DO encounter shady sources - like SYUN-LP (who not only manufactured the faulty pedal, but appears to be indifferent to inquiries). If enough people learn of the problems, their sales will drop and either they will redesign the crappy part, stop selling it - or go out of business, creating an opportunity for another company to do the job right.

So let me turn your question around on you: Are you paying 2 to 10 times as much for the same Chinese "crap" - but just ordered through middlemen who jack up the price? Why would you do that?