mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Anybody custom fab their bike?

I'm considering chopping my Specialized Hardrock's rear end and having a fab shop install a rear suspension into it for a softer and more stable ride. Anyone have any experience with this? Obviously I'd have to spend some time and draw a design up, but I'm curious to see if anyone has done this before.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Don't try to codge something together, draw it up and build the entire thing from new. Expect cost over runs and poor performance, suspension design is more science than art.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

That's what I'm thinking. The most important part I expect is making sure the rear wheel is still in alignment with the front and that the dimensions are the same. I'm concerned with how I'm going to mount the bottom hinge though. And where the rear shock should mount to get the maximum resistance while still being structurally sound.

mtbr member
    Assuming that this isn't troll post...:
    You are aware that welding aluminum is very difficult and expensive? Tube sizes in aluminum frames are for the most part large not because of required tube strength but because the tube crossection is needed to achieve required weld strength. Retro-fitting a rear suspension may be close to impossible. But if you succeed there is really no guarantee that the bike will ride well. Successful designs require number-crunching, experience, and fine-tuning. Difficult to do with a single bike.

Of course, stubborn people do stuff all the time that others say is impossible. So, maybe you can come up with something that works. But the deck is stacked against you and it's not likely to be cost-effective.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Fight the power! You figured it all out, those stupid suspension companies are just trying to fool us into spending $3000 on a bike, when you can fab something for a few dollars and it will perform just as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Not a troll post, just curious to see if anyone has ever had a spare bike to mess with and use it as a project bike to make something of their own. I might be the only one here, but I love the whole "built not bought" concept and some of the most entertaining things to do for me is doing custom builds for ****.

And I don't expect the project costs to only include the hardware and time spent. But I do realize that a factor of the price of major brands goes to engineers and designers who spent thousands going to college for a specific trade. Just like if you hire a photographer, you aren't paying for a piece of paper with some ink sprayed on it. You pay for the experience of the professional and what they had to pay to get their job knowledge.

Anyways, this is all hypothetical until someone who has actually succeeded comes up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy91 View Post
    Not a troll post, just curious to see if anyone has ever had a spare bike to mess with and use it as a project bike to make something of their own. I might be the only one here, but I love the whole "built not bought" concept and some of the most entertaining things to do for me is doing custom builds for ****.

And I don't expect the project costs to only include the hardware and time spent. But I do realize that a factor of the price of major brands goes to engineers and designers who spent thousands going to college for a specific trade. Just like if you hire a photographer, you aren't paying for a piece of paper with some ink sprayed on it. You pay for the experience of the professional and what they had to pay to get their job knowledge.

Anyways, this is all hypothetical until someone who has actually succeeded comes up.
    As long as you aren't doing it either to save money or build a better bike than can be bought, more power to you. High probability of failure but if you enjoy the process anyway then you can't lose.

I'd start by taking a camera into a bike store start taking pictures of rear suspensions, pivots, shocks, etc. (just don't tell the sales people why you are doing this). Then go to your machine chop shop and pick their brains what can and what can't be done.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Yeah I've looked a bit online at several different bikes to study the ergonomics and rotation aspects of other popular bikes to see how something custom might work out. I just wish I had the software to simulate the physics of the compression.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy91 View Post
    Yeah I've looked a bit online at several different bikes to study the ergonomics and rotation aspects of other popular bikes to see how something custom might work out. I just wish I had the software to simulate the physics of the compression.
    and maybe some hacksaw blades for Fathers Day...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Just keep in mind that the several early attempts at suspension by the major bike companies got it horribly wrong (I'm looking at you, Trek 9000). But, maybe you have more resources and knowledge than they did then.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    don't feed the trolls