Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301

    Any XC Riders with Flats

    I'm just curious if there's many XC riders out there using flats and shoes like Five Tens?

    In the winter I switch over to flats and this year I never put my clipless back on. I feel more comfortable/confident with the flats.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46
    I ride that exact combo
    5/10 impact low
    HT AN/AX pedals

    I find it gives me more than enough grip for the riding that I do, sometimes do I think it would be nice to go clip-less, but haven't found the need yet, I am happy where I am

  3. #3
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,203

    Any XC Riders with Flats

    I wear flats on my road bike. Does that count? I have not yet purchased stiffer flat specific shoes, though.

    It is making me think about trying them on my xc mtb.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: citiznkain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    I'm just curious if there's many XC riders out there using flats and shoes like Five Tens?

    In the winter I switch over to flats and this year I never put my clipless back on. I feel more comfortable/confident with the flats.
    I do the same thing until everything dries out, usually mid May or early June. Then I switch back. I'll sometimes switch to flats depending the trail.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cackalacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    518
    XC flats yes. Wish I could find some 5.10s locally so I could try them on. But my old tennis shoes grip just fine. So fun, I feel like a kid again...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    325
    I ride 5.10s on VP 001 platform pedals. Had a few knee surgeries and need to be able to dismount quickly should I get the urge to crash. The 5.10s are really grippy and I don't see myself going to anything else.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

  7. #7
    Steep on the Cheap
    Reputation: thrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    39
    5.10s and Mg-1's here, riding all XC south Florida trails.

    I got back into biking after an MCL and Meniscus tear, and cycling was a way to exercise with low impact. Fast forward about a year, and I'm on the trails 2-3 times a week. I'm still freaked out about re-injuring my knee, so I pad the knees up and stay on flats.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Noclutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    792
    I was logging lots of XC miles in flats (CB 50/50) and using 510's, but their heavy leather construction and tub-like sole was bad for sweat drainage. So I went to some trail runners and found the traction nearly as good and much much drier and cooler. The key for me was finding a tread pattern that inter-digitated well with my pedals and mesh panels for circulation.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    329
    There are plenty of XC riders on flats and almost 0 XC racers on flats
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    I was logging lots of XC miles in flats (CB 50/50) and using 510's, but their heavy leather construction and tub-like sole was bad for sweat drainage. So I went to some trail runners and found the traction nearly as good and much much drier and cooler. The key for me was finding a tread pattern that inter-digitated well with my pedals and mesh panels for circulation.
    Same with me- Asics trailrunners and my feet never sweat even when it hits 100. Pedals are Azonic Flat Irons with the fatty pins.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    I was logging lots of XC miles in flats (CB 50/50) and using 510's, but their heavy leather construction and tub-like sole was bad for sweat drainage. So I went to some trail runners and found the traction nearly as good and much much drier and cooler. The key for me was finding a tread pattern that inter-digitated well with my pedals and mesh panels for circulation.

    ^^^this


    I use Salomon XA Pro's , winter pair and summer pair....not bulky, super light weight, sole is plenty stiff, ventilation is perfect, and no laces to tie. I slightly modify the sole using a grinder and flapper wheel to work with my pedals. I find with large platforms the stiffness is more than sufficient and plenty of grip.

    4th year now on this type of shoe, not going back to the bulky skate shoe...

    Summer with great ventilation:
    Any XC Riders with Flats-112133.jpg


    Water proof for winter/spring:
    Any XC Riders with Flats-328223.jpg

  12. #12
    Downhill fan
    Reputation: #Cyclelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    312
    Flats w/ Vans on my XC and DH bike.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    301
    Thanks everyone...I never thought about the ventilation issue. Makes sense. I see Shimano makes some shoes that look similar to those Solomon. The Solomon's look promising too. I also heard Lake makes a decent shoe for flats.

  14. #14
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: freakybro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,178
    five tens and straightline Amps. I have 2 or 3 sets of clipless pedals but they haven't been out of my spare parts drawer in a couple years. I don't see ever going back. Lots of fun riding flats. We have a shoe dryer originally purchased to use drying out ski boots. I've been using it all winter to dry out my riding shoes. Does a great job on my gloves too.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    329
    I feel I might get flamed for this but here we go:

    Clipless, once you're used to it, prevents more wrecks than it causes. I have been able to "pull" my bike back underneath me during an almost-wreck that I would have otherwise gone down.

    I recommend clipless to everyone because it offers more than flats can with no penalties. I even think it's easier to get out of clipless than off flats, although my experience with flats was somewhat limited. Then again I'm a "racer boy" (albeit on a singlespeed) so I'm all about the fastest option. I've never been beat by someone with flats when I didn't have a mechanical, but I've only raced 2 people on flats ever. YMMV
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

  16. #16
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,203
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    I feel I might get flamed for this but here we go:

    Clipless, once you're used to it, prevents more wrecks than it causes. I have been able to "pull" my bike back underneath me during an almost-wreck that I would have otherwise gone down.

    I recommend clipless to everyone because it offers more than flats can with no penalties. I even think it's easier to get out of clipless than off flats, although my experience with flats was somewhat limited. Then again I'm a "racer boy" (albeit on a singlespeed) so I'm all about the fastest option. I've never been beat by someone with flats when I didn't have a mechanical, but I've only raced 2 people on flats ever. YMMV
    your limited experience colors your perception. sure, I do fine on clipless and so do a lot of other riders. but guess what, a lot of riders ALSO do fine on flats. some are fine on both and go back and forth. some have switched one way or the other. what do you care what pedals someone else uses if they are comfortable with them?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    your limited experience colors your perception. sure, I do fine on clipless and so do a lot of other riders. but guess what, a lot of riders ALSO do fine on flats. some are fine on both and go back and forth. some have switched one way or the other. what do you care what pedals someone else uses if they are comfortable with them?
    I don't really care, but he came here and asked us for our opinions, so I figured I would be the lone dissenting voice. I am honestly surprised no one else has voted pro-clipless on this thread. Where I am I would estimate that 95% of people who consider themselves cyclists ride with clipless.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

  18. #18
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,866
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    I don't really care, but he came here and asked us for our opinions, so I figured I would be the lone dissenting voice. I am honestly surprised no one else has voted pro-clipless on this thread. Where I am I would estimate that 95% of people who consider themselves cyclists ride with clipless.
    Yep! ^^ I just get sick of explaining the benefits of clipless. People get used to something and are afraid to change. And then there's the whole learning curve associated with clipless. Most people that are used to flats and then try clipless have a hard time learning them and give up too quick. Back to flats they go. I know, I know the OP was talking about switching between the two styles depending on the season. This also makes no sense to me. Talk about confusing the brain in an emergency situation while clipped in. >>>This is your brain on clipless / flats / clipless WTF pedal am I in.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    I don't really care, but he came here and asked us for our opinions, so I figured I would be the lone dissenting voice. I am honestly surprised no one else has voted pro-clipless on this thread. Where I am I would estimate that 95% of people who consider themselves cyclists ride with clipless.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep! ^^ I just get sick of explaining the benefits of clipless. People get used to something and are afraid to change. And then there's the whole learning curve associated with clipless. Most people that are used to flats and then try clipless have a hard time learning them and give up too quick. Back to flats they go. I know, I know the OP was talking about switching between the two styles depending on the season. This also makes no sense to me. Talk about confusing the brain in an emergency situation while clipped in. >>>This is your brain on clipless / flats / clipless WTF pedal am I in.
    completely laughable...

  20. #20
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,866
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    completely laughable...
    Opinions Vary!
    Road House highlights 04 - YouTube
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RipRoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Opinions Vary!
    Exactly!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    980
    I've been using 5.10s with DMR Vaults and they work extremely well together. I've actually tried a couple of different 5.10s and the Sam Hills that I'm using now don't have much padding, what they do have is thin, and they have pretty decent ventilation. They wear very much like a low top leather cross-trainer sneaker. I wouldn't recommend them for winter riding, they're a bit too breezy for that unless you can wear some wool socks with them.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  23. #23
    MTB Fanatic
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    437
    5.10's and flats fan here. I like to be able to move my feet around effortlessly while I'm riding in the woods.

    But for road riding, I go clipless and like it just fine.
    Nathan

  24. #24
    see me rollin, they hatin
    Reputation: NicoleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,213
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep! ^^ I just get sick of explaining the benefits of clipless. People get used to something and are afraid to change. And then there's the whole learning curve associated with clipless. Most people that are used to flats and then try clipless have a hard time learning them and give up too quick. Back to flats they go. I know, I know the OP was talking about switching between the two styles depending on the season. This also makes no sense to me. Talk about confusing the brain in an emergency situation while clipped in. >>>This is your brain on clipless / flats / clipless WTF pedal am I in.
    i also ride flats in the winter because of the ice/snow/ and mud. i just like them better for slippery and or cold conditions. People have told me that i'll confuse my reflexes, but it's been fine so far. it might only take ONE ride to get the clipping reflex back into my brain. i also run my spd's loose so it doesnt take much effort. That combo of back and forth works well for me, though, it's not going to work for everybody.
    My feet and balance have always been a little more comfy on flats but they are also more fatiguing. if I'm on a long ride with lots of climbing, i save a bit more energy when clipped in. that's the only reason i ride them.
    fap

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZeroSkillet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by thrifty View Post
    5.10s and Mg-1's here, riding all XC south Florida trails.

    I got back into biking after an MCL and Meniscus tear, and cycling was a way to exercise with low impact. Fast forward about a year, and I'm on the trails 2-3 times a week. I'm still freaked out about re-injuring my knee, so I pad the knees up and stay on flats.
    You ride at Virginia key by any chance?

    Im new into MTB, riding flats and i think im sticking with em. Everyone around me is trying to tell me how clipless is a must go to thing. I don't see the need, from what I've read, the benefits really aren't all what people hype them up to be.

    I have Shimano XT SPD pedals in my drawer I might eventually buy the shoes just to give it a whirl but for the most part Im focusing on practicing proper pedaling/foot position technique. Once you're pedaling correctly on flats the "advantage" of clipless diminishes from what I heard. Or at the very least once I have proper technique clipless will simply enhance, but not determine success.

    Just my 2 cents.....
    Last edited by ZeroSkillet; 04-16-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 01:32 AM
  2. Flats, to clipless, back to flats.... am I the only one?
    By Will Goes Boing in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. Fat Flats
    By spovegas in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
  4. I keep getting flats :(
    By RoyBell in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 09:18 PM
  5. Blur LT2 riders - any medium riders?
    By Horacek in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •