mtbr member

Any suggestions for a vertical two bike storage rack?

My daughter hinted at a free-standing two bike storage rack for the garage, holding the bikes one over the other to take up minimal space as a XMAS present. I've surfed around and I haven't found one that gets very high reviews for quality and stability. Neither Thule nor Yakima make one. If you know of one that has worked well for you, please let me know. Thanks!
    Will trade for some chicken.

mtbr member
    Good lucků I tried to help a neighbor find a free standing rack a few months ago and everything we looked at was very flimsy or had bad reviews.

Tool
    I'm not trying to be a wiseacre, but did you consider this:

I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I recently purchased this
    Thule Bstk2 Bike Stacker: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors
    It was a pain to put together and required me getting creative for bike placement as it doesn't play nice with bikes that do not have a traditional strait top-tube (im using it to store an 04 enduro and an intense slopestyle). I ended up having the downtube and shockmounts hold up the bike on the arms. Once I got my bikes mounted on it though - it is really sturdy. I shook it by hand for a while and the bikes didn't budge! Pending on what are the bikes you are planning to store it could be a very good option

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Floor stuff never seems to work out well. The simplest and easiest is the $2.00 hook shown above and secured in a wall stud. Put the front wheel in the hook and let the rear tire hit the wall. I went a step further and installed this. It looks better but in reality is the same as the cheap hook. IMO if you are going to hang them above one another, hang one and put the other below on the floor as it accomplished the same thing as an expensive rack. But I realize sometimes you can't put stuff into the walls if you are renting, etc.

2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    No, Pedalphile, the hook would be my idea, but the space isn't there. I saw the Amazon listing before I posted, Pizon, and went to the Thule site, and it wasn't listed there, which is odd. glad to hear is works okay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    cant put stuff into the walls if you are renting
    that was my problem, plus lack of tools (drills/stud finders), hence the rack. I would love an inwall solution but the rack does its job. its also movable incase i want to re-arrange my room

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edley View Post
    No, Pedalphile, the hook would be my idea, but the space isn't there. I saw the Amazon listing before I posted, Pizon, and went to the Thule site, and it wasn't listed there, which is odd. glad to hear is works okay.
    That is strange. Check amazon? Im not sure where you are, but on the usa site they a have a ton of similar designed ones, for cheaper, i think some have decent reviews. I wanted one that was pretty similar going for 80 bucks, but was not available in canada, hence the thule which was. I assume its some sorta patent/license thing

Professional Crastinator
    In college we built a freestanding 4-bike rack that held the front wheels with vinyl hooks. So they weren't one above the other, but there was still room underneath it for gear and crates and such.
    You may need some carpentry skilz but it worked out really well when we moved.

If you want the bikes sitting horizontally one over the other, you can get

...or something a little nicer

...but you will still have to build a giant coat rack sort of thing to make it free-standing.

-F

PS - heh... this took me about 3 seconds of earnest searching:
    XPORT Bikes Aloft 2 Storage Rack -
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    I'm not trying to be a wiseacre, but did you consider this:

+1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    PS - heh... this took me about 3 seconds of earnest searching:

This is looks the same as my thule. I dont recommend using any of the solutions where you cant adjust the left and right hooks height wise as if you dont have a perfectly straight top-tube the system will not work

mtbr member
    I have the Thule Bike stacker. It is easy set up and is pretty sturdy. I have been able to fit everything from DJ bike to most FS bikes as pizon said the saving grace of the Thule is that you can adjust the arms so you can hang some FS in less conventional but still effective ways.

Dirt Junkie
    I've got something like this.

Bike Rack - Classic Floor-to-Ceiling in Black by Sports... | review | Kaboodle

Mine is from XPort from Preformance, but they don't seem to have this style anymore.

The arms are adjustable, so it will fit any bike.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Here you go, Thule rack for $95:
    Thule - Universal Bike Stacker One Color, One Size - Like

No tax, free shipping. Ships from Backcountry. Only 1 left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Here you go, Thule rack for $95:
    Thule - Universal Bike Stacker One Color, One Size - Like

No tax, free shipping. Ships from Backcountry. Only 1 left!
    that is a killer deal, hop on it. here is a pic of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any suggestions for a vertical two bike storage rack?-20121121_183755.jpg  

mtbr member
    I got an oak bike rack, stand up, two bike type.
    I believe it's a "Gear Up" rack... around $140.
    I used it a while... it wobbles a bit but never tipped enough to fall over or drop my bikes.
    The arms are adjustable for frame geometry, which I really liked. I could keep my mtb's and roadbikes level, which helped putting them on and getting them off, as well as space-wise.

I offered the rack to my daughter for school, but her room is too small to put the bike inside anyway.

mtbr member
    Another option to consider from Feedback Sports & bikewagon.
    Feedback Sports Velo Cache 2-Bike Storage Stand Black - Bikewagon
    $139.99 site price. coupon code: GTWS
    gets you 20% and total is $111.99. This rack let's you expand to 4 bikes with an expansion kit. (I just ordered this with the GTWS discount from bikewagon).

I love my Feedback Sports repair stand and can't image this rack to be any less well designed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Picked up 2 of these from Target for about 10 bucks each. Was a returned open item. The arms can be moved up and down to accommodate different size and shape frames. Has a strap on the top that you screw into the wall for stability.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses! Decided on the Sports Velo Cache Column Rack, 2-Bike.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I know you already got one, but my Perfomance dealio works just great.On sale for $50, too.

Information on the trails at New Hogan Lake, Calaveras County, CA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What about the Feedback Sports Velo Cache?

Velo Cache 2-Bike Column