mtbr member
    May 2013

Any stores that sell protective gear? (knee pads)

Hello,

I had a really bad crash this morning and ended up getting six stitches in my knee. I would really feel a lot more comfortable with knee pads and I have been researching a lot. I've found some knee pads I would be interested in but I noticed that there were some sizing issues when ordering online and I think this would be avoided by going to an actual store and trying them out first. The problem is, I can't find any stores that have mountain biking knee pads. I live in Southeastern PA in West Chester. The local bike stores don't have knee pads. I also checked the online store for REI and Eastern Mountain Sports and found nothing. Do you guys know any stores for this kind of thing? If not, any tips for ordering pads online?

mtbr member
    I had to order my pad set online, sometimes you have to dig around on the manufacturers website to get correct measurements for sizing, then order from wherever you find reasonable. We have a few ATV/racing motorcycle places here in town that I get gloves and such from but their pad sets were way too heavy duty for learning on a unicycle. So you could try a place like that?
    Sorry about your wound....ouch! I bought my pads for "just in case" and I guess never needing them was a good investment in money. Now they just lay under my bed not being used....I have better balance than I anticipated so I rarely put them on.
    Better safe than sorry I suppose.
    I got 661s, elbow, wrist, ankle, and combo knee/shin pads. Nice quality. I think I could play hockey in them!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, 661s run pretty true to sizing, they have instructions for measuring available on their site, as do most other protective gear places.