Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any mountain bikes made in US?

57K views 154 replies 63 participants last post by  wallstreet 
#1 ·
Are there any entry level mountain bikes being made in the U.S.? Do any big name companies like Trek, Specialized and Jamis manufacture their bikes in the U.S.

Also was wondering about the Norco Bikes, are they made in Canada?

#4 · (Edited)
Defined Made in USA.

because no big item products I can think of is made in the USA. It may say Made in the USA but how sure are you that the raw materials are from the USA? Did they mined the iron from a USA site? Did every chemical component in the paint come from a USA plant? Did the grease come from a USA plant that manufacture the grease using all USA chemicals in a USA lab?

Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are NOT USA Citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are USA Citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are naturalized USA citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in Asia consist of all USA citizenship that are NOT naturalized USA citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in Asia consist of all USA citizenship that are naturalized USA citizens?
Is it consider Made in USA if everything is brought in oversea and assemble in the USA?
etc...

Be specific if you're soooooooooooooooo concern about Made in USA. :D :D :D

#8 ·
JimmyNeutron10101 said:
Defined Made in USA.

because no big item products I can think of is made in the USA. It may say Made in the USA but how sure are you that the raw materials are from the USA? Did they mined the iron from a USA site? Did every chemical component in the paint come from a USA plant? Did the grease come from a USA plant that manufacture the grease using all USA chemicals in a USA lab?

Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are NOT USA Citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are USA Citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are naturalized USA citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in Asia consist of all USA citizenship that are NOT naturalized USA citizens?
Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in Asia consist of all USA citizenship that are naturalized USA citizens?
Is it consider Made in USA if everything is brought in oversea and assemble in the USA?
etc...

Be specific if you're soooooooooooooooo concern about Made in USA. :D :D :D[/QUOTE

I Guess you are not smart enough to figure out what Made in the USA is?]
TROLL

#12 ·
Spinning Lizard said:
I Guess you are not smart enough to figure out what Made in the USA is? TROLL
You want the truth?!?!? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! :D LOL!!! about where your product is made. Just accept it...you're bike can never consist of all parts in the USA.

For all I care, my bike can be made in Atlantis. All that matter at the end of the day is if the bike quality is there. So what use is a bike that is made in the USA if it breaks down easily compare to a bike made in Atlantis by some mermaids??? :D

I laugh at people saying they buy only Made in USA products and then I tell them, "Where is your laptop/desktop made from? What about the clothes you are wearing now? (exception to hot naked chicks :D )" and that shuts them up. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
Nations in a semi-peripheral position relative to the US, which produce items specifically to draw dollars into their country, should not be looked at as 'taking our jobs' but rather as supporting our higher standards of living and productivity.

We Americans are the ones benefitting most from trade with peripheral nations. Its clear if you look at the mind-boggling amount of goods and labor we receive in exchange for what we ourselves produce. An example would be: a US real estate agent sells a house and uses the commision to buy a sweet bike .. Seemingly, the RA agent didn't work 'hard' enough to build a top-to-bottom bike from scratch but because of the willingness/desperation of other nations intent on functioning as peripheral economies, the purchasing/consumption power of the American worker is magnified.

The strength of the dollar means the compensation I receive for my one day's work can buy the day's work of many. Hard to say that we are getting the raw end of the deal.

#77 ·
Well put. The irony of this thread is that if we only bought American-made goods, our standard of living would be MUCH lower, and very few people would have enough disposable income for such niceties as a mountain bike.

#39 ·
I cant afford an American-made boutique branded bike. that said, im giving it hell to scrimp, save, sell and do whatever i can in order to buy a bike that is going to cost me enough cash that i could buy two primarily asian-sourced bikes. why? because i want to do what i can in order to keep the economy at home going as strong as possible, and if it costs me more to do it then so be it.

yeah i know that a lot of parts on my bike are going to be non-American made. unless you really want to dump some serious coin, it isnt gonna happen. thats fine, i get it. but if i buy a tracer 29, that adds a little more job security for the dudes in temecula, instead of some guy in taiwan. yeah they both may need a job, but it is inconceivable (to me) to not make an effort to support an American in his job, when the opportunity arises.

i ride a taiwanese-manufactured bike now, and theres nothing wrong with it at all. it got me riding, and got me hooked on mtb, and it didnt cost 5 grand. the next one, i see no reason why not to go big and stay home.

#41 ·
I cant afford an American-made boutique branded bike. that said, im giving it hell to scrimp, save, sell and do whatever i can in order to buy a bike that is going to cost me enough cash that i could buy two primarily asian-sourced bikes. why? because i want to do what i can in order to keep the economy at home going as strong as possible, and if it costs me more to do it then so be it.
I think you will find that an American-made bike costs about the same as an equivalant asian sourced bike (keyword being equivalant). USA made bikes are mid to high level and usually sport a better shock, suspension design, bearings, paint job and no hassle warranty. They also usually have forged bits in the frame so you can't compare them to a Giant Trance or Specialized FSR. If you compare MSRP's of USA made frames to equivalant asian sourced frames you are looking at roughly $0-400 difference... which isn't anywhere close to double the cost. It's also nice knowing that if you call the manufacturer for any questions or concerns that you may actually talk to the owner.

#78 · (Edited)
No this is wrong. You create an endless cycle of devouring the middle class in America buying internationally made goods. You weaken our skills and power as a nation. Manufacturing is the engine that drives wealth and the middle class. The view cited above is a short term personal gain economic financial view that has long term dire consequences for the economy and the nation's position as a world power at large. Real estate agent? Really? One of the most overpaid low skill professions in the U.S.. I'm all over outsourcing those guys. LOL.

#80 ·
No this is wrong. You create an endless cycle of devouring the middle class in America buying internationally made goods. You weaken our skills and power as a nation. Manufacturing is the engine that drives wealth and the middle class. The view cited above is a short term personal gain economic financial view that has long dire consequences for the economy and the nation's position as a world power at large. Real estate agent? Really? One of the most overpaid low skill professions in the U.S.. I'm all over outsourcing those guys. LOL.
You are correct on all fronts except the US's position as a world power. There is no other country in the world that comes close to the US in military might, its an absolute no brainer that the US has the largest and most technically advanced military in all of human history. The US has a tight grip on the oil resources of the middle east further strengthening its position as the worlds biggest power.

as for real estate agents they would have have it pretty tough right now.

#116 ·
@wallstreet

What is needed is a complete roll back on the financial system. In other words back to the regulations that were put in place after the crash of 1929. The financial system was stable until Reagan started to deregulate the industry, since then it has been a cycle of ever increasing financial crisis's. More people in finance have been led away in cuffs than any other. It is the most corrupt sector in the economy yet the govt continues its unabashed support and people just take it, its quite amazing. They say the banks are too big to fail, ok so lets make them smaller.

Look at Wal Mart, my favourite example for illustrating what is wrong in US society because that poor excuse for an oganization hits on all fronts. A private company owned by a family of five (the royalty) worth a combined $40 billion. They have approx two million workers (the serfs) that are paid poverty wages, get zero benefits, are treated badly and subject to intimidation to work long hours. There is no reason for that kind of corporate behaviour, it is a disgrace. It gets worse once you start looking at all their sweatshops etc in Asia.

There is no govt pressure to make Wal Mart responsible for their workers. The workers have no chance to form unions because if it really comes to a head then the local police will step in to protect scabs so the Waltons can sip their afternoon sherry in peace. Quite the feudal set up I think.

There is no chance to get more stuff (including bikes!) made in the USA until you all start to stick up for yourselves. Corporations have more rights than you do and that needs to change.

#118 ·
@wallstreet

What is needed is a complete roll back on the financial system. In other words back to the regulations that were put in place after the crash of 1929. The financial system was stable until Reagan started to deregulate the industry, since then it has been a cycle of ever increasing financial crisis's. More people in finance have been led away in cuffs than any other. It is the most corrupt sector in the economy yet the govt continues its unabashed support and people just take it, its quite amazing. They say the banks are too big to fail, ok so lets make them smaller.

Look at Wal Mart, my favourite example for illustrating what is wrong in US society because that poor excuse for an oganization hits on all fronts. A private company owned by a family of five (the royalty) worth a combined $40 billion. They have approx two million workers (the serfs) that are paid poverty wages, get zero benefits, are treated badly and subject to intimidation to work long hours. There is no reason for that kind of corporate behaviour, it is a disgrace. It gets worse once you start looking at all their sweatshops etc in Asia.

There is no govt pressure to make Wal Mart responsible for their workers. The workers have no chance to form unions because if it really comes to a head then the local police will step in to protect scabs so the Waltons can sip their afternoon sherry in peace. Quite the feudal set up I think.

There is no chance to get more stuff (including bikes!) made in the USA until you all start to stick up for yourselves. Corporations have more rights than you do and that needs to change.
The irony of this is that social services such as food stamps help Walmart to keep operating like this - even through I'm sure those programs are hated by the owners.

#131 ·
Yes! one of the few relevant responses to the OP whose question is - Any bikes made in the USA?.

How can a thread that asks about what bikes are made in the US, generate responses on political views, quality of weapon tech and comparative water resources of states?:rolleyes: Think you guys need to get out and ride more:D

#5 ·
If you could define entry level with a price point that would help considerably!

Ventana is probably the cheapest quality frame maker at the moment. You would have to build up the bike yourself. Cannondale made the last of the entry level "Made in the USA" bikes that I know of but they have jumped shipped over to asia this past year. Fox forks and shocks are also made in the USA. Thomson makes seatposts and stems... I plan on starting a thread were people can list what part manufacturers still make their stuff here... Probably take me a week to get to it. Drivetrain you are basically looking at Japan (Shimano) or China (Sram). I believe there are some high end drivetrain pieces made here but more than what the average Joe needs.

#51 ·
Devinci (not davinci) and I'm fairly certain all the frames are welded in Canada (and they brag final assembly is all done in house too).

I'd love to find out for sure as it is surprising something like the entry level cameleon would be built in north american and be able to compete cost wise with all the other manufacturers that have contracted their entry level frames to Taiwan or other countries.

#15 ·
My new frame is US made... components are a mixed bag...mostly overseas stuff. Like JimmyNeutron said...at the end of the day...my biggest concern is that my bike got me home in one piece regardless of where the parts were manufactured. Of coarse I would like to buy stuff from here to support American workers but lets face it...it's too expensive and honestly...these days, Made in the USA does NOT always mean better quality.

#16 ·
JimmyNeutron10101 said:
You want the truth?!?!? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! :D LOL!!! about where your product is made. Just accept it...you're bike can never consist of all parts in the USA.

For all I care, my bike can be made in Atlantis. All that matter at the end of the day is if the bike quality is there. So what use is a bike that is made in the USA if it breaks down easily compare to a bike made in Atlantis by some mermaids??? :D

I laugh at people saying they buy only Made in USA products and then I tell them, "Where is your laptop/desktop made from? What about the clothes you are wearing now? (exception to hot naked chicks :D )" and that shuts them up. :thumbsup:
It is not about quality anymore, it is about trying to keep our country running by keeping as many dollars here as possible and good people employed, if you do not get that then move. I hope your job gets outsourced then maybe you will give a crap.

#23 ·
Agreed Spinning Lizard. I hope people start thinking a little more about supporting their neighbors, or at least their fellow countrymen. Too many reasons to list why it is harder to find stuff made in the U.S. Everything from environmental regulations and taxes to liability insurance. It is tough to run a manufacturing business here anymore. My hat is off to the companies that are still fighting to make it work.

I run into a lot of people who say they don't care where something is made as long as it is good and costs less. Those same people usually have a hissy fit about others driving an SUV wasting gas and polluting the environment. Of course they never want to talk about why they buy things made in places with almost no environmental regulations that are shipped half way around the world in a ship burning fossil fuel by the ton.

I was at an REI with my brother a couple of years ago. He starts laughing and shows me this green T shirt that says "Support Local Farming" on it and the tag says made in Vietnam.:rolleyes:

There are a couple of other threads about this floating around recently. One was called something like I want to build a completely American made bike. Lots of components and frame makers listed in it.

None of it entry level BTW. Sorry OP.

#20 ·
It would be darn tough... you'd have to build it.

I am not sure if anyone makes cranksets in the US.
Is there a US seat maker?
Is there a US tire maker?
Does anyone make spokes in the US?

You could make your own cables, but I bet there isn't a housing maker in the US as well.

#21 ·
Standard Bike Company will make you any frame you want (Davenport, Iowa I believe they are located), although they are primarly a BMX company, they do MTB as well (custom order only).

I believe I was quoted frame prices start around 600.00$.

Contact.

Standard Byke Company

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.