Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I've got a super high end MTB with NO Asian parts

That's right, it can be done. I built it myself picking every single part out....doubters welcome. :-)

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by l84thsky View Post
    That's right, it can be done. I built it myself picking every single part out....doubters welcome. :-)
    Provide a picture and list of components...or it didn't happen

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    It would be darn tough... you'd have to build it.

I am not sure if anyone makes cranksets in the US.
    Is there a US seat maker?
    Is there a US tire maker?
    Does anyone make spokes in the US?

You could make your own cables, but I bet there isn't a housing maker in the US as well.
    Cranks
    -Pauls
    -White Industries

Seat
    -Selle An-Atomica

Tires...nope

Spokes
    -DT Swiss make some spokes in Colorado
    -Wheelsmith
    -Phil Wood

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Note that he said "no Asian parts"
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No Asian parts does not = made in US.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I've got a super high end MTB with NO African parts

mtbr member
    Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are NOT USA Citizens?
    Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are USA Citizens?
    Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in the USA consist of Asians that are naturalized USA citizens?
    Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in Asia consist of all USA citizenship that are NOT naturalized USA citizens?
    Is it consider Made in the USA if the entire company in Asia consist of all USA citizenship that are naturalized USA citizens?
    Is it consider Made in USA if everything is brought in oversea and assemble in the USA?
    etc...

You don't sound like you were 'Made in the USA'
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    frame is a possibility, whole bike = much harder
    entry level? not to my knowledge.
    Yeti= made in USA, but not entry level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    No Asian parts does not = made in US.
    True, but why would I not want German, British, French, Swiss, Italian and Canadian parts. I only wanted to avoid cheap sh!t.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    IIRC Sram is made in Taiwan, Shimano is made in Japan, Malaysia or China.
    I've never seen a Chinese made Shimano part and the only Malaysia parts I have seen are their pedals.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05 View Post
    frame is a possibility, whole bike = much harder
    entry level? not to my knowledge.
    Yeti= made in USA, but not entry level.
    Yeti is not made in the USA. Turner, Ventana, Ellsworth, Foes, Lynskey, Lenz, Intense (except carbon), Titus (select models) and the high end guys like Moots, Seven, Erickson etc are made in the USA. I believe Trek still makes their carbon in the US but I am not sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    True, but why would I not want German, British, French, Swiss, Italian and Canadian parts. I only wanted to avoid cheap sh!t.
    The less Chinese stuff people buy the more options we will have in the future. USA first but German, British, French, Swiss, and Canadian parts are usually top shelf as well.

It's also nice knowing that you are not supporting an aggresive communist regime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Trek makes very few bikes in Wisconsin anymore. Only a few of their highest level road bikes. Specifically, the Madone 6&7 series bikes. The rest is being produced overseas. All of their OCLV bikes were made here (well the frame was, the rest of the stuff, nope) until a couple of years ago.

Suckin wind like a boss
    I cant afford an American-made boutique branded bike. that said, im giving it hell to scrimp, save, sell and do whatever i can in order to buy a bike that is going to cost me enough cash that i could buy two primarily asian-sourced bikes. why? because i want to do what i can in order to keep the economy at home going as strong as possible, and if it costs me more to do it then so be it.

yeah i know that a lot of parts on my bike are going to be non-American made. unless you really want to dump some serious coin, it isnt gonna happen. thats fine, i get it. but if i buy a tracer 29, that adds a little more job security for the dudes in temecula, instead of some guy in taiwan. yeah they both may need a job, but it is inconceivable (to me) to not make an effort to support an American in his job, when the opportunity arises.

i ride a taiwanese-manufactured bike now, and theres nothing wrong with it at all. it got me riding, and got me hooked on mtb, and it didnt cost 5 grand. the next one, i see no reason why not to go big and stay home.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Moots makes phenominal bikes, and they are based out of steamboat, CO. They are pretty expensive though, but the bike will last you FOREVER! they are a titanium frame, and have stellar components. They are not exactly an entry level bike, but if you can scrape up the money, you will not have to buy another bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    I cant afford an American-made boutique branded bike. that said, im giving it hell to scrimp, save, sell and do whatever i can in order to buy a bike that is going to cost me enough cash that i could buy two primarily asian-sourced bikes. why? because i want to do what i can in order to keep the economy at home going as strong as possible, and if it costs me more to do it then so be it.
    I think you will find that an American-made bike costs about the same as an equivalant asian sourced bike (keyword being equivalant). USA made bikes are mid to high level and usually sport a better shock, suspension design, bearings, paint job and no hassle warranty. They also usually have forged bits in the frame so you can't compare them to a Giant Trance or Specialized FSR. If you compare MSRP's of USA made frames to equivalant asian sourced frames you are looking at roughly $0-400 difference... which isn't anywhere close to double the cost. It's also nice knowing that if you call the manufacturer for any questions or concerns that you may actually talk to the owner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Here it is

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    By the way. my philosophy about not buying Asian products applies to EVERYTHING I buy.....again, doubters welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any mountain bikes made in US?-bike-parts.jpg  

Any mountain bikes made in US?-bike1.jpg  

Any mountain bikes made in US?-bike2.jpg  

Any mountain bikes made in US?-bike3.jpg  

Any mountain bikes made in US?-bike4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    By the way. my philosophy about not buying Asian products applies to EVERYTHING I buy.....again, doubters welcome.
    This thread is about entry level bikes made in the USA. Nothing on your bike is entry level and only a couple of the parts made in the USA. Nice bike though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    what hapend whit Maverick?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydkure View Post
    what hapend whit Maverick?
    went under. I heard someone bought out the part stock for the forks so you can still get parts for a limited time.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well Done

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Good job. Now, what about your computer?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Yeti is not made in the USA. Turner, Ventana, Ellsworth, Foes, Lynskey, Lenz, Intense (except carbon), Titus (select models) and the high end guys like Moots, Seven, Erickson etc are made in the USA. I believe Trek still makes their carbon in the US but I am not sure.
    ??? what do you mean ? I was in their factory a few years ago in Golden. ???
    Maybe the new carbon ones? Mine is aluminum (main frame triangle) and says "Made in Colorado" - I am not sure about the carbon rear triangle, though ....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are no entry level bikes "Made in USA", we all know that. At least I have some USA parts. I would buy more if there were more.

Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    This thread is about entry level bikes made in the USA. Nothing on your bike is entry level and only a couple of the parts made in the USA. Nice bike though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not many entry level frames made in USA.

A whole lot of smaller manufacturers make some of the best frames in the world in the USA.
    Ellsworth, Lynskey, IF, Moots, Potts, etc.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast