Sweat is just fat crying.

Any good ways to replace Velcro on mtb shoes?

I've got a pair of Specialized shoes that are perfectly good, except the Velcro has lost its sticky. I tried to just glue new Velcro over the top of the old stuff, but it wouldn't stick.

Thinking my next step is to go to a canvas shop to see if they can sew new Velcro on there for me.

Any other ideas? I can't believe shoe makers are still using that stuff in areas that get so much wear & tear & contamination.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    A shoe maker/repair shop ?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    even check out your local dry cleaners that due alterations- the ones by me charge next to nothing and do amazing things with a sewing machine. doesn't hurt to stop into one. if that doesn't work, as meat said, shoe repair shop.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    even check out your local dry cleaners that due alterations- the ones by me charge next to nothing and do amazing things with a sewing machine. doesn't hurt to stop into one. if that doesn't work, as meat said, shoe repair shop.
    Yeah, I have a tailor who's done some work for me, but his problem is that he can't sew through thick leather. I'm going to try the cobbler idea, I guess.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you live near a sailmaker or somebody who does upholstery work they can probably do it too but the question is do they want to take on a job that small? I am about to replace a pair of Specialized MTB shoes for the same reason but I am going back to shoes with laces. When a shoe laces wears out the solution is simple.

It's about showing up.
    Get a leather needle, a thimble, strong black thread. Staple it in place to hold it where you want it and sew it on yourself.
    I don't rattle.

two words:
    Speedy Stitcher

First, I'd get a seam ripper to remove the old velcro. Then, I'd use the speedy stitcher to sew new velcro on. It's a slow process because it's manual sewing with a device specifically made to sew leather, but it works. I have one in my gear closet for just such repairs and alterations that need to be made.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I've got a pair of Specialized shoes that are perfectly good, except the Velcro has lost its sticky. I tried to just glue new Velcro over the top of the old stuff, but it wouldn't stick.

Thinking my next step is to go to a canvas shop to see if they can sew new Velcro on there for me.

Any other ideas? I can't believe shoe makers are still using that stuff in areas that get so much wear & tear & contamination.
    I've found that velcro wearing out isn't down to contamination, so much as crappy quality velcro. Hard to believe but there are actually different grades of this stuff, some much better than others.

Another option is to ask at your local camping equipment store. They may know someone in the area that repairs outdoor gear who will be able to punch through velcro and shoe straps fairly easily.

Welp, I was in line at the cobbler's, all set to have him rip off the old Velcro & put on new, when I looked at a shoelace display. It hit me that I could just have him tear off the straps & drill/punch some holes for laces.

Cheap fix- $12, as opposed to at least 2x that much to have new Velcro put on. Plus the shoes fit better now.

My only regret is that I cut the laces too short. They fit under the strap to keep everything tidy, but they're short enough that they want to sneak back out & flop around.

PS I thought I had a pic with the new laces, but this lace is one I got at the dollar store, and it's too thin. But you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any good ways to replace Velcro on mtb shoes?-img_0818.jpg  

mtbr member
    Luggage repair shop works too. They can sew, use grommets and are used to materials like thick leather/plastics etc...

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    A shoe maker/repair shop ?
    X2
    Shoe repair shops can often repair some strange stuff that no one else would touch.
    They can often repair a favorite hydration or backpack and other goods made of leather or heavy duty fabrics as well.

A shoe repair can install grommets for the lace holes. That way they don't tear or stretch out.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Lace it! What a great idea! THX - gonna go to my local shoe repair and have him put a few holes and grommets in my Gyro MTB shoes....cus the velcro sucks.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Welp, I was in line at the cobbler's, all set to have him rip off the old Velcro & put on new, when I looked at a shoelace display. It hit me that I could just have him tear off the straps & drill/punch some holes for laces.

Cheap fix- $12, as opposed to at least 2x that much to have new Velcro put on. Plus the shoes fit better now.

My only regret is that I cut the laces too short. They fit under the strap to keep everything tidy, but they're short enough that they want to sneak back out & flop around.

PS I thought I had a pic with the new laces, but this lace is one I got at the dollar store, and it's too thin. But you get the idea.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You can also tuck the tied laces under the tongue. My DC skate shoes has the "untied" look....where the tied portion rests on my foot's instep.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"