mtbr member
    Jan 2004

any good FS bikes around a $1000

I have a friend who is looking for a new bike he wants to spend around $1000. I have told him to buy a good hardtail but he wants a FS. Are there any decent FS's out there that will hold up. Main use will be trail/xc riding with some jumps and small 1-2ft drops. A little more$ might be possible if needed but he is really looking for a max of a grand. I am not familiar with bikes in this range so I need some help. Thanks in advance.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

What size? I may have something. PM me...

Thanks!

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by fl jay
    I have a friend who is looking for a new bike he wants to spend around $1000. I have told him to buy a good hardtail but he wants a FS. Are there any decent FS's out there that will hold up. Main use will be trail/xc riding with some jumps and small 1-2ft drops. A little more$ might be possible if needed but he is really looking for a max of a grand. I am not familiar with bikes in this range so I need some help. Thanks in advance.
    Check out the Iron Horse line. I cant say enough good stuff about them. A year ago I was in the same situation, looking for a good entry level FS trail bike for my girlfriend, didnt have much more than a G. I got her the SGS Sport, with tax and shipping I paid $1,150.00, and have not had one complaint with I.H. The only thing we have switched out was the fork and that was'nt totally necessary, just for fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jamis makes inexpensive fs bikes. try the Dakar or Dakar Sport. good spec for price, too.

Rita

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Good - maybe not for $1K, but acceptable

There are acceptable duallies out ther for around $1K. I bought an end of year Rocky for only about $100 over that mark. Respectable parts pick - if a bit heavy. (Same frame until you got to the Scandium framed bike.)

Jamis is worth a look.
    Giant might be worth a look too.
    K2
    Specialized
    And plenty others.

Look first at the frame, the rear shock, then at the parts. There are plenty of ok bikes, even duallies, at $1K.

The most important thing to look at - regardless of brand or price - MAKE SURE IT FITS! I'll take a good bike that fits, over a great bike that doesn't any and everyday of the week.

Good Luck!

JmZ

JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Shortcutting Hikabiker

$999

mtbr member

03 Enduro's for $1049

JimC (a frequent passion postet) picked up an 03 spec. enduro for $1049 from some shop in WA. I paid nearly 1500 for mine and am really enjoying it, it sounds like it would fit his riding style fairly well.

airin' it out in the 951
    I think the Haro X1's are around 1k? Not sure, but my buddies x3 is cool so you might wanna check that out.

ballbuster

Second the Jamis

Dakar Sport with discs can be had for around $800 if you look around. Kinda heavy, but good part spec and good design, pedals really well.

Trek Fuel 80 can be had for about that if you shop around. I hear they had a Fuel 70 now. Prolly the same frame with cheaper part spec.

GF Sugar 4 lists for $1100. Good design, decent part spec.

Supergo was blowing out K2 Razorbacks for like $750. Super light frames, around 5 pounds 3 oz, racy, nimble, prolly not durable enough as a good jumper but I love mine. the 3.0 is equipped with Deore cranks, LX gearing and a Manitou Mars fork. The parts are prolly worth more than the whole bike. I'm 200# and no issues yet. Mine is all XT with some tastey stuff mixed in. For the dough, I could not be happier.

Kona has some in that price range as well. I could not tell you which models.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-07-2004 at 02:55 AM.

There's no app for this.

Yep, thanks Phil and

Quote Originally Posted by phil.
    JimC (a frequent passion posted) picked up an 03 spec. Enduro for $1049 from some shop in WA. I paid nearly 1500 for mine and am really enjoying it, it sounds like it would fit his riding style fairly well.
    I can't tell you how great the bike is. While each rider will like different things, the Enduro has opened up a whole new world for me, it just plain is a great bike. It really surprised me as I bought it as a second bike so I didn't have to pedal the hefty Bullit around.

If the other poster is reading, Bikeshop of Everett, WA is the place, I think they had 50 of them to clear out. And Supergo ( you MUST go to their store, no shipping) had them for $1199 I think?

I've had the Kona posted above at $999, no comparison in the ride...Enduro is just way better in performance, and ride, the Kona is a single pivot faux bar, and the Enduro is a true 4 bar.

Hope that helps, Jim

Are you talking to me?

Herre are a few worth looking at...

2004 Specialized FSR xc, 2004 Trek Fuel 70 and Fuel 80, 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 400 ($1200.00 or so.) Reputable makers with great warranty policies.
    gfy

ballbuster

heh, 'Faux Bar'

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    I can't tell you how great the bike is. While each rider will like different things, the Enduro has opened up a whole new world for me, it just plain is a great bike. It really surprised me as I bought it as a second bike so I didn't have to pedal the hefty Bullit around.

If the other poster is reading, Bikeshop of Everett, WA is the place, I think they had 50 of them to clear out. And Supergo ( you MUST go to their store, no shipping) had them for $1199 I think?

I've had the Kona posted above at $999, no comparison in the ride...Enduro is just way better in performance, and ride, the Kona is a single pivot faux bar, and the Enduro is a true 4 bar.

Hope that helps, Jim
    My K2 Razorback would fall under Faux bar. If you think about the axle path, it's basically an arc around the pivot just above the BB, so it's a fancy looking single pivot.

I still love it, tho. It pedals really well.

mtbr member
    Could try 2nd hand. i would second a haro Extreme. Enduros are worth a look too. Lets hope he does not do big drops on a jamis. Single pivot bikes usually have **** swing arms. i know 1 person who has gone through 2 frames and another who has gone through 1. get something with a damped fork. The MZ comp on the kona is crap.
    www.hope.co.uk

Now rollin the Big Hit

I ahve a schwinn DS2, an 03 model that I completely satisfied with and only payed 675 to get it out the door.

Also i suggest something in the Haro x-series line. This year they start at around $880, and end up around 1600. The frame is the same throughout the range, and travel has been bumped up to 6 inches. I have had haro bikes in the past and never been disapointed, components are decent, and hold up well. My brother has ridden a haro fully for near 600 miles and it's still going strong.
    Hailing from Reno, NV by way of Vegas...
    Now rockin the Big Hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    What about used? You can probably get more of a bike for less money that brand new. However, it he's hellbent on new, I'll third (or is it fourth) the Jamis.

mtbr member
    got to get the proper discs. the haro X2 has better quality components. see if you can talk down a good deal with the LBS. Good luck - Ben
    www.hope.co.uk