mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Any chance these Wellgo MG1 are fake?

I bought Wellgo MG1s from this seller. I noticed the pins were different from previous pair I bought from another Asian ebay seller, but they were going on my commuter so I figured no biggie. I figured it was new old stock of a previous version or something.

When they arrived they were just in some crusty bubble wrap (instead of a proper box as my others came in). Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but the bearing seems stiffer.

Are these just an OEM version or something? Whats with the different pins and reflectors on these and not others? I know it would be od to knockoff something so cheap, but something seems a bit fishy.

Anyone have experience with these?

New Wellgo MG-1 MG1 Magnesium Pedal , White | eBay

mtbr member
    Do they match the specified weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good idea cerebroside.

Just weighed them... 398g for the pair... looks like most are 380g, but with the reflectors and weird pins that's probably bang on.

I am probably paranoid but I am still curious what the deal is with this variant.

Thanks
    TMANIAC

human dehumidifier
    The last pair I bought came with reflectors but with the expected set screws for pins, and were in a Wellgo box. Maybe it's just a production change on the pins.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

I <3 dirt

Any chance these Wellgo MG1 are fake?

Those pins actually seem a bit better then the normal pins. I wouldn't sweat it if they're close to the right weight.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys.

I will now shut up and ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry for bringing this topic back to the surface but I'm in the same situation.
    Got a pair of MG1 on one bike, came in a box with sticker etc., they have the threaded pins and the threaded hole is only a few mm deep. The other set has these "studs" that are also threaded but the hole is threaded all the way through the pedal. I looked in the Wellgo online catalogue and they only show the first described set. So has there been an evolution to the model or just 2 different factories?
    As I have already lost some of the "studs" what would peoples recommendation be for replacement? Stick to the studs, put in typical pins or get some that thread in from underneath?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moclan View Post
    Sorry for bringing this topic back to the surface but I'm in the same situation.
    Got a pair of MG1 on one bike, came in a box with sticker etc., they have the threaded pins and the threaded hole is only a few mm deep. The other set has these "studs" that are also threaded but the hole is threaded all the way through the pedal. I looked in the Wellgo online catalogue and they only show the first described set. So has there been an evolution to the model or just 2 different factories?
    As I have already lost some of the "studs" what would peoples recommendation be for replacement? Stick to the studs, put in typical pins or get some that thread in from underneath?
    Hey moclan,

I've lost a bunch of pins as well on light duty rides and the threads go all the way through. Fake or not I would advise people to avoid this version.

TMANIAC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    well, I've got them so I'll just ride them till they are dead. But what I did do is buy some 15mm long flat headed screws that I screwed in from underneath on the front of the pedals, used some locktite, and removed all the "studs" and applied some locktite on them and screwed them back.
    Haven't lost any since I did this, considering I had lost 5 on the first ride, it's not a bad result. And by the way they are 4mm threads