mtbr member

Any budget bikes surprise you?

I'll admit I'm a little spoiled with the bikes I treat myself to. In the last few years mostly all carbon Ibis, Santa Cruz and niners, and I log a lot of all mountain/xc miles. But I'm going on vacation to my cabin in Michigan and want to buy a budget mtb to live up there. I havent kept up with the more budget offerings as im usually in fantasy land. Most of the trails are xc so I'm not opposed to a hard tail. I considered fishing around on craigslist or eBay, but it would be a lot easier to buy from a shop. Anyone surprised by the quality of any budget bikes lately? I know specialized has some low end offerings in the $400-800 range. I've done plenty of searches but its mostly beginners asking what's a good bike. Anyone have a suggestion for a no frills great bike for the money for someone who would know the difference?

mtbr member
    Buy something used. Some shops take bikes on trade, refurb and then re-sell.

mtbr member
    On One Inbred...

mtbr member
    Yes. I once rode a very old and very budget Specialized in a bike park, and was unpleasantly surprised when the kickstand deployed mid run.
    definite malingerer

cvs
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    redline monocog flight
    on-one inbread
    kona unit (steel)

all these bikes are great can run single or multiple gears disk etc. and are sup corrected for a fork. plus their steel is somewhat nice so it flexes some.

Trailhead Poseur
    In that price range, something from Airborne. I should note that I don't ride one myself, but they get consistently good reviews and are frequently recommended.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    My wife's old GT Avalanche kinda surprises me. I think it was about $300 from Sports Authority or somewhere like that. She has only ridden it on mtb trails a few times in the last 11 years we've owned it. But it is often relegated to loaner duty and has been ridden a surprising number of places by anyone from beginners to expert relatives who were in town with out their bikes, including people like my brother bombing it down rocky tech trails right behind the rest of us on our 6"+ bikes. It has never been tuned or serviced in any way, still works fine, and takes abuse like a champ when it has to.

Not a bike I'd want to ride on a regular basis, mind you, but it fits the description of a budget bike that has surprised me.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

There's always next year.
    I love my plain-jane brown monocog. Nothing special parts wise, but a great ride.

mtbr member
    My Giant Revel 4 is a brilliant bike for the money - It was 300 and it feels rock solid. Nice base frame to upgrade if it takes your fancy too!
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

Just Ride
    Redline monocog. Nice solid single speed for under 700. No frills, all business. Not that I have much to compare it to, but I've been happy with it! It feels fast and that's all that matters to me!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!