mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Any advice on a bike under 600 USD?

Hello I am looking to get a bike in the next couple of weeks, but will only have about six hundred to spend on it. Yes I know that people ask the question quite often and have looked at some of those threads . While I can see the advice being useful in many circumstances I have special mitigating factors. Please read before suggesting I hold off to save a lot more.

1. This will be my commuter. Work is on the edge of reasonable to walk to (3 miles) and a bike would make my life a hell of a lot easier. I do not have a car. I do not have a licence, and will not have one for some time.

2. After buying this bike I plan to save money to pay off the forgoton about ticket that is preventing me from getting my licence back. I forgot all about it , and it is a substantial amount of money.

3. I would like to spend less, but do have some wiggle room to go a little higher. This will involve neglecting other things and walking for a longer period of time.

4. I live in Glendive Montana. It is in the middle of nowhere. For the past couple of weeks at least there has not been a single bike on craigslist in town. The nearest used bike for sale on craigslist is currently 300 miles away. Please notice the lack of car.

5. There is no bike shop in town. Or in the next town over in any direction. The nearest bike shop that I can find that actually carries bikes is in Billings. (220 miles)

6. We have a closing K-mart. The closest object that they have resembling a bike is a fat tire mongoose 20". The kmart is closing, they can not order any new bikes . Occasionally friends do go to Walmart (140 miles)

7. I would like a Mountain bike. The roads around here are awful, and on the way to work there is some gravel . I will also be moving after the holiday season either down to Colorado or over to Portland.

8. My last good bike was a 1998 Specialized Rockhopper , I loved it, and it was very lovingly abused on the trails around Missoula Mt. There are no good trails around here (unless i'm missing something) But there are a few State parks that would be nice to ride through.

9. I am a fat ass. A series of poor life choices has lead to me getting up to 330 pounds. I am actively working on loosing weight and through diet have gotten myself down to 290 over the past couple of months. So it needs to be able to take some abuse.

10. I would like to upgrade it later. I KNOW that that is not the cheap way to do it. But I had fun back in the day fixing my bike , and doing upgrades would seem like a great excuse to learn more about my bike, and help me decide on what to get for a real bike down the road.

11. I'm 5'10.5 but have short legs.

There are currently 3 bikes that I am considering. I am more than open to other suggestions, but these are the ones that I have found that I seem to like .

2018 Giant ATX2 . Ill be honest, its in my range and I like the color, plus it looks good all round.

2018 Giant Talon 29 , Disk brakes (remember I'm fat) , and 29inch wheels. (I can upgrade other things later. )

Diamond Hook. (1x and disk breaks , its on sale in my price range currently, it might go back up before I have the cash though)

Thank you for reading this, most help is welcome. But I'm currently only making ten bucks an hour, telling me to get a 2500 dollar bike isn't really useful.

mtbr member
    Man, if it was me w/your particular scenario, maybe consider rigid? Your commute is short enough that big tires won't matter, plus I'm sure you can rid this in the winter too.

Just a thought:

Save Up to 60% Off 29Plus, 27Plus Fat Bikes, Mountain Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

no batteries required
    yep, just came to post the same thing as jcd46. Rigid 29er since you're so far from civilized places, makes it simple to source tires and such.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Have you thought about getting a gravel bike? Since you're only using it for commuting, a gravel bike will get you there faster, and at that price range, will be of better quality than a $600 mountain bike.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/adventure-gravel

I have the Haanjo Trail Carbon and it's awesome on gravel. Comfortable and fast. It can also fit wider 40c+ tires. There's a Haanjo for every price range, but I would personally go for the standard Haanjo than the Haanjo Tero due to the better components. They're great bikes for the money but are often overlooked due to the stigma of being a brand being sold at department stores.

mtbr member
    Look at some Diamondbacks maybe. You can get the corporate account for a big discount, there's a code floating around for an additional 5% off that discount and ordering through BeFrugal will get you another 4% cash rebate.

https://www.befrugal.com/referral/?ref=GHUMXZG
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS and rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    Have you thought about getting a gravel bike? Since you're only using it for commuting, a gravel bike will get you there faster, and at that price range, will be of better quality than a $600 mountain bike.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/adventure-gravel

I have the Haanjo Trail Carbon and it's awesome on gravel. Comfortable and fast. It can also fit wider 40c+ tires. There's a Haanjo for every price range, but I would personally go for the standard Haanjo than the Haanjo Tero due to the better components. They're great bikes for the money but are often overlooked due to the stigma of being a brand being sold at department stores.

Unless they're giving those things away they don't meet the Opies criteria for a sub 600 dollar bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Unless they're giving those things away they don't meet the Opies criteria for a sub 600 dollar bike.
    Plus he did say MTB. Gravel would have been my first suggestion but between budget and his request, I went with BD.

OP BD has other options including Gravel bikes, that would be under road bikes on their site, if that sparked your interest. No Tax - Free shipping. As always lot more options to come, I'm sure.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    This one does...

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...-gravel/haanjo

$597 after corporate discount, additional 5% off, and 4% rebate.

Not a mountain bike. But something to maybe at least look at and consider.
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    A rigid 29er could definitely work especially if upgrading it later. I would like something that wouldn't be a dangerous idea to take on a green circle trail. I NEED a bike , any bike NOW. That does not mean that I don't also want to practice and have a little fun wile I save up for a real bike. Yes I do want to be able to upgrade what I get slowly, and know that just getting good to start is cheaper... but one can not have everything, and cheap is important right now.

The Haanjenn Tero does look interesting. I think I should add again that I am still fat.. and that is a road bike. This is a VERY small town.. not sure how I feel about having my butt that far up on the road all the time. Thinking about the optics..

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    This one does...

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...-gravel/haanjo

$597 after corporate discount, additional 5% off, and 4% rebate.

Not a mountain bike. But something to maybe at least look at and consider.

I like it if he could swing it for that.

mtbr member
    I rode a road bike at 320 pounds. Weight doesn't matter that much whether it's a road or mountain bike. I'm 260 now and ride road and mountain.
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by admerwill View Post

The Haanjenn Tero does look interesting. I think I should add again that I am still fat.. and that is a road bike. This is a VERY small town.. not sure how I feel about having my butt that far up on the road all the time. Thinking about the optics..

Fugg em, do what's best for you in your situation.

mtbr member
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    (the hook is actually on my list but they are out of my size..)

Thanks for the help so far, it is starting to focus me a bit more. Leaning a little bit more to the ATX lite now, but more rigid recommendations are welcome.

mtbr member
    I dunno. I would've also looked at CL (craigslist). I've seen some pretty nice FS bikes at around that price point. Here's a few I just pulled up...

Trek Fuel Ex8: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...237157288.html

Giant Anthem: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...243877263.html

Specialized FSR: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...243028951.html

Yeti Kokopelli: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...211184265.html

slow
    There are 4 or 5 decent hard tail 29er bikes on ebay right now at $600 or less including shipping.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    At 290, you are going to want a big man saddle and pedals. This is the best I could find on Ebay in a few minutes, and leaves you plenty of room for a new chain, pedals, saddle, grips and tires to fit your particular terrain.

Trek 920 Vintage bike singletrack great condition

Land of the 230+
    First off, congrats on making a better life choice. Its a bummer to hear about the car and series of events that got you to the situation youre in at the moment, but riding is a damn fine way to tackle both issues at once.

There are a million options out there. Sure a 290 lb dude puts some stress on a bike, but I have to imagine youll be riding fairly conservatively, at least in the beginning. You wont be putting anywhere near the stresses a 180 lb guy puts on his bike going over a 3 foot drop. IMO, you dont need to pony up for some super-clyde worthy frame. Any of the usual suspects mentioned on the budget threads should do you fine, bikes direct, diamondback, airborne, etc.

You mentioned you used to enjoy working on bikes yourself? And with nothing local, youre going to need to get familiar with mods and repair. My thoughts on this are that you could buy a relatively cheap bike, and upgrade the fork, which is inarguably the most important component on the bike, especially at higher body weights. There's nothing wrong with a 3x8 drivetrain, and mechanical brakes to get you started. Those noodley coil 28mm forks are the weak link. If you can find a solid bike in the 350 to 400 range, then upgrade the fork to a quality air fork, youre in business.

Someone posted a link in teh deals forum to a Marzocchi fork sale (https://shop.marzocchi.com/), and they have a 320 LR for 199, or if you search ebay, you can usually find an x-fusion sweep or velvet for under 300. Plenty of options from rockshox as well. Eventually, you may want to upgrade the drivetrain and brakes, but by then youll be in the swing of things, and youll know what you need for the conditions you ride in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    First off, congrats on making a better life choice. Its a bummer to hear about the car and series of events that got you to the situation youre in at the moment, but riding is a damn fine way to tackle both issues at once.

There are a million options out there. Sure a 290 lb dude puts some stress on a bike, but I have to imagine youll be riding fairly conservatively, at least in the beginning. You wont be putting anywhere near the stresses a 180 lb guy puts on his bike going over a 3 foot drop. IMO, you dont need to pony up for some super-clyde worthy frame. Any of the usual suspects mentioned on the budget threads should do you fine, bikes direct, diamondback, airborne, etc.

You mentioned you used to enjoy working on bikes yourself? And with nothing local, youre going to need to get familiar with mods and repair. My thoughts on this are that you could buy a relatively cheap bike, and upgrade the fork, which is inarguably the most important component on the bike, especially at higher body weights. There's nothing wrong with a 3x8 drivetrain, and mechanical brakes to get you started. Those noodley coil 28mm forks are the weak link. If you can find a solid bike in the 350 to 400 range, then upgrade the fork to a quality air fork, youre in business.

Someone posted a link in teh deals forum to a Marzocchi fork sale (https://shop.marzocchi.com/), and they have a 320 LR for 199, or if you search ebay, you can usually find an x-fusion sweep or velvet for under 300. Plenty of options from rockshox as well. Eventually, you may want to upgrade the drivetrain and brakes, but by then youll be in the swing of things, and youll know what you need for the conditions you ride in.
    excellent points!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It's 3 miles and you're mentioning you want to lose weight and you have a large debt that needs to be repaid. Save your money, pay off your ticket. Walk the 3 miles, biking three miles isn't a workout but walking 3 miles can easily help you lose weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sorry havnt been in in a few days. Thanks for the support guitsboy. I think I'm going to go with the giant atx lite. Still open to ideas.

Couple of points.

LA is not glendive my. There are more people that live within a mile of you than 100 miles of me..

Shipping costs are high around here. And repair options from an expert limited. So I do want to go new to avoid issues.

There is a chance I will be in Denver for a short period of time in a few weeks and could pick something up from the giant flagship store. I won't be there long enough to shop around though. Like I'll have a couple hours at most. This trip is not yet confirmed.

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by admerwill View Post
    I think I'm going to go with the giant atx lite.
    Seems like a reasonable choice, especially if you can get a deal on it. IMO the rigid fork is a better idea than a cheap coil sprung fork. Should do just fine as it is, and if and when you get more serious about riding, you can always upgrade as needed. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Trek 820. It's cheap, easy to maintenance because of simple components, people won't want to steal it, looks nice, and can take a beating on the trails. I love mine and have had it for almost 4 years. Only thing I have upgraded are the grips and pedals because I do downhill on it and wanted to "stick" to the bike better to not, idk, die. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
    I can do sick whips on my razor scooter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I know your commute is only 3 miles but for what it's worth, I like 29" wheels on the road. They roll a bit better and ride a little smoother in my opinion. I ride an older 2007 felt 29'er on the road. My road rides are usually between 10-20 miles so I feel the need for a 29'er. If it were me, I would look hard at that Talon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott n View Post
    It's 3 miles and you're mentioning you want to lose weight and you have a large debt that needs to be repaid. Save your money, pay off your ticket. Walk the 3 miles, biking three miles isn't a workout but walking 3 miles can easily help you lose weight.
    Good idea. And rigid forks for 300+ lb people???, isn't a cheap full-suspension better? I mean one wrong bump on a rigid and things could get dangerous fast.