100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013

Any 4 stroke trail bike riders out there?

I've been riding mtn bikes for twenty years now & recently bought a Yamaha TTR 230 trail bike. I love tight woods riding this thing! After mtn biking for so long, getting on a dirt bike only seemed natural to me & I think both bikes reap benefits from the other. I have always liked anything that you can ride in the dirt & have never had an "us vs. them" attitude. I haven't met too many other mtn bikers that ride anything with a motor in the woods & was just wondering if anyone else on here does.
    -always thinking about the next ride-

mtbr member
    I grew up racing motocross and recently decided to walk away from the sport. Numerous broken bones and concussions got old, especially now that I'm older and have to make it to work everyday. Seven months ago I broke my left hand and right collar bone in six places, two pins, six screws, a plate and three surgeries later, I decided my motocross days were over. I love my bike and the sport of mountain biking, but with the exception of extreme DH, nothing can touch the stuff I did on that thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode sense I was 11. Son was born when I was 31 and I sold them and bought a standup jet ski and got into hi end mtbs some time after to take its place. I have several die grinders and ported many 2 and 4 strokes. Son is now 22 and have been dreaming of going back to dirt biking... but...not. I still ride the ski. I used to ride in the winter along the Mohawk river with sheet screws in the tires. One of the best times on 2 wheels I have ever had in my life..so far.

Gollygeewhiz..just saw this should be in OC...but who really cares..
    lean forward

No Stranger to danger....
    Youll find lots of motor X riders on a motor X forum......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Youll find lots of motor X riders on a motor X forum......
    Some of us here do other things besides MTB........

I've always enjoyed riding both although trail access is an issue in NY unless you're plated and can link sections. I've had a variety of Dual Sport bikes over the years because I like to hit the trails occasionally and don't want to be limited to the tarmac. It's a nice change to be able to twist the wrist on climbs. I'd be pissed if I found a dirtbiker on the MTB trails though!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Do 2 strokes count? I've been trail riding with dirt bikes long before there were mountain bikes. Lots of the trails we rode then I do now on MTB's.
    Probably the thing I miss most about motos is how much exploring you can do compared to mountain bikes.
    Still have a KTM 200 EXC in the garage that sits too much........

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorider228 View Post
    I grew up racing motocross and recently decided to walk away from the sport. Numerous broken bones and concussions got old, especially now that I'm older and have to make it to work everyday. Seven months ago I broke my left hand and right collar bone in six places, two pins, six screws, a plate and three surgeries later, I decided my motocross days were over. I love my bike and the sport of mountain biking, but with the exception of extreme DH, nothing can touch the stuff I did on that thing.
    At 45 I pretty much just trail ride for the most part. I do really enjoy tight twisty woods trails that are a lot like mtn bike trails except i have yet to find singletrack. They are all 4 wheeler trails, but that's ok. Motocrossing is beyond my abilities. lol.

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Some of us here do other things besides MTB........

I've always enjoyed riding both although trail access is an issue in NY unless you're plated and can link sections. I've had a variety of Dual Sport bikes over the years because I like to hit the trails occasionally and don't want to be limited to the tarmac. It's a nice change to be able to twist the wrist on climbs. I'd be pissed if I found a dirtbiker on the MTB trails though!
    Yeah, I would never ride my Yamaha on a mtn. bike trail. I have been in this sport long enough to respect our hard-earned & built mtn. bike trails. I only ride in ORV parks. I do sometimes wonder though as I'm riding my mtn. bike, but actually most of the mtn. bike trails have parts that are so technical, i would be afraid to even ride them on a dirt bike.

100.oz minimum
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Do 2 strokes count? I've been trail riding with dirt bikes long before there were mountain bikes. Lots of the trails we rode then I do now on MTB's.
    Probably the thing I miss most about motos is how much exploring you can do compared to mountain bikes.
    Still have a KTM 200 EXC in the garage that sits too much........
    Yes! 2 strokes are cool too. I had one when I was in my twenties. I just wanted something a little more docile but still fun to ride.