mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Answer ProTAPER Carbon 720 AM Bar Issues

I just received my Answer ProTAPER Carbon 720 AM from Pricepoint and I noticed a few things about the construction of the bar. I am not sure if others have noticed the same issues or if I am the only one, but I looked at my friends FSA carbon bar for comparison and the cut ends have an even thickness all the way around and his bar seemed smooth on the inside. I am not sure what these issues say about the quality of the bar but it does make me think twice about keeping the bar. I thought I would share my observations and pictures.

My Observations:
    1) The stem alignment marks are about 1/8" off center. The only mark that is dead accurate is the very center mark.
    2) There is a noticeable difference in the thickness of the layup when looking at the cut ends of the bar
    3) You can see ridges and imperfections on the inside of the bar
    4) Just found out the warranty on the Answer bar is only 1 year versus Easton's lifetime warranty or Syntace's 10 year warranty
    5) The exterior finish of the bar looks beautiful

WP_20121222_006

WP_20121222_010

WP_20121222_007

Front Range, Colorado
    I can certainly see your concerns. Especially the end of the bar with the uneven thickness and imperfections inside. I don't know how long Answer has been making carbon bars. But I do know they have been making top notch aluminum bars in the MX world for over 20 years. But carbon is a whole nother ball game. My suggestion is to return them and go with Easton. They are the pioneers of the carbon bar and are at the top in the market. I have a Easton Monkeylite Carbon bar that I have been running for 13 years with no problems. And I bought another for a back up several years ago. And both of these bars have zero imperfections. A top notch quality product IMO with a lifetime warranty, how can you beat that.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

banned
    Sep 2012
    I've had a Protaper AM 720 on my bike for a little while. The construction is similar (uneven inside) but it has held up to abuse quite well. Just switched over to an S-works carbon bar and the Answer is going over to my XC bike.

-S